Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Coolers

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
cj68
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Oil Coolers

I do about 6 HPDE weekends a year currently and am looking to get an oil cooler for my 02 Z06. I am undecided whether to do a combo unit like the Dewitts or go with a stand alone (like DRM) and keep the stock radiator.

I'd like to hear some opinions, thoughts, and experiences with both types.

Thanks,

cj
Old 03-18-2008, 05:03 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stand alone. Don't do a combined.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:37 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by snitz
Stand alone. Don't do a combined.
Can you please explain why? I am in my initial research stages and would like all the info I can get. Is the stock radiator adequate for HPDEs?

Thanks,

cj
Old 03-18-2008, 06:26 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by cj68
Is the stock radiator adequate for HPDEs?

Thanks, cj

I don't think so
Old 03-18-2008, 07:02 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
I don't think so
Tom, if I quote from a story/post I believe you wrote, you recommend a separate oil cooler for road racing as it lowers oil temps relative to a combined.

PS. I have your radiator and a separate oil cooler in my car! Coolant and oil temps went down over 20 degrees from the OEM set up. Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 07:10 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I was running about 280 deg on an August day at VIR. Added the DRM kit external cooler and have not seen above 240 even on a 100 degree day last summer. Running stock radiator and the cooler is mounted low in front of radiator. H20 temps are fine even in August. I recommend the DRM kit with a thermostat.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:13 PM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
I was running about 280 deg on an August day at VIR. Added the DRM kit external cooler and have not seen above 240 even on a 100 degree day last summer. Running stock radiator and the cooler is mounted low in front of radiator. H20 temps are fine even in August. I recommend the DRM kit with a thermostat.
Thanks. This is the set up that I am leaning toward right now. How easy/hard was the install and what is involved?

cj
Old 03-18-2008, 07:41 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

The stand alone kits are nice because they are easeir to install and it will cool the oil down the most. However the stock radiators are not up to the task for DE's. You may only do 6 a year but how many years are you planning on holding on to the car? If it's only one or two then go ahead and get the stand alone, if you are planning on sticking with the car and possibly adding power (heads/cam or more cubes etc) then you should really look into a combo. The combo will give you better cooling for more power and it will also give you an oil cooler. If you drive the car on the street your oil temps will come up sooner also because the coolant will help heat up you oil when the oil is cold.

I've had one of the cheap OEM radiators split a tank on me on track and when both RH tires get coolant on them it's no fun.
The fact that the OEM radiator has plastic side tanks and an aluminum core is not the best for road racing they heat up and cool at different rates and the radiator can fail. My tank seperated and my weekend was done.

I would look at it this way if you are happy with doing 6 events a year and don't plan on any extra power in the future then just buy the stand alone, but if you think you will start doing more events and adding power then go with the combo and play it safe.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:08 PM
snitz
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
The stand alone kits are nice because they are easeir to install and it will cool the oil down the most. However the stock radiators are not up to the task for DE's. You may only do 6 a year but how many years are you planning on holding on to the car? If it's only one or two then go ahead and get the stand alone, if you are planning on sticking with the car and possibly adding power (heads/cam or more cubes etc) then you should really look into a combo. The combo will give you better cooling for more power and it will also give you an oil cooler. If you drive the car on the street your oil temps will come up sooner also because the coolant will help heat up you oil when the oil is cold.

I've had one of the cheap OEM radiators split a tank on me on track and when both RH tires get coolant on them it's no fun.
The fact that the OEM radiator has plastic side tanks and an aluminum core is not the best for road racing they heat up and cool at different rates and the radiator can fail. My tank seperated and my weekend was done.

I would look at it this way if you are happy with doing 6 events a year and don't plan on any extra power in the future then just buy the stand alone, but if you think you will start doing more events and adding power then go with the combo and play it safe.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:13 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The DRM kit is not that difficult to install. It took me about 4 hours on the floor of the garage with jack stands. Having access to a lift would have cut that time by at least an hour or more. Instructions with the kit were fine and detailed enough that any one reasonably mechanically inclined could do the install.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:22 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

PM me your e-mail, and I will send over some info on our Oil cooler setup!!! I built a couple kits this past weekend.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Old 03-18-2008, 09:26 PM
hisvett
Melting Slicks

Received 384 Likes on 244 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

My Ron Davis dropped my oil temps on my stock C5 from 300+ down to 270's on a warm day and in the 280"s on Hot Texas days plus keeps the water under 200 on road trips.

I see no reason why running a combo external cooler plus EOC radiator would be an issue, in fact, I'm thinking about adding a cooler inside the front bumper when I plumb in a accumulator. Just be sure if running the car on the street, add an oil thermostat bypass so the oil will warm up on cool days.

Good luck on keeping it cool
Old 03-18-2008, 09:27 PM
2000BSME
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I got the in radiator cooler from DeWitt, and I am happy with it so far. I have so many additional coolers that it was nice to have one inside the radiator for use, because of space concerns.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:05 AM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by snitz
Tom, if I quote from a story/post I believe you wrote, you recommend a separate oil cooler for road racing as it lowers oil temps relative to a combined.

PS. I have your radiator and a separate oil cooler in my car! Coolant and oil temps went down over 20 degrees from the OEM set up. Thanks
I don't have a preference over internal or external oil coolers, as both are effective in there own way. What I was suggesting here was that the stock radiator was not enough for racing on a regular basis, so if you are going to buy a heavy duty radiator, and you are considering oil cooling as well, you might as well put it into the radiator and be done with it. Keep in mind, adding an oil cooler will not lower the coolant temps and adding a better radiator will not lower the oil temps. You need to address these fluids temps with separate devices.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:21 AM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Just get a c6 z. oil temp max 250 on a 95 deg day after 4 30 min runs! stock Radiator is up to the task in the c6z
Old 03-19-2008, 08:38 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Been running the Dewitts with EOC for 2 years now. There is a noticeable drop in coolant and oil temps on the track.

Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
cj68
Pro

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM
PM me your e-mail, and I will send over some info on our Oil cooler setup!!! I built a couple kits this past weekend.

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Thanks Randy... PM sent.

cj

Get notified of new replies

To Oil Coolers

Old 03-20-2008, 05:34 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Look for a very large e-mail soon!!! It is at about 22 percent now. My server is running about as slow as a BMW today

Randy
Old 03-24-2008, 01:37 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy@DRM

Randy
www.dougrippie.com
Randy - Can you send me a copy as well to:

scottperkins27@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:19 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sperkins
Randy - Can you send me a copy as well to:

scottperkins27@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Sorry I just saw this. I will send some pictures and some info in the AM. Maybe I should upload some pictures on to photobucket, umm that is a good idea! 9 years and today, I have been dating my wife I don't think she would like me running back up to the shop anymore tonight

Randy

Quick Reply: Oil Coolers