Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WSIR help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default WSIR help

I'm not fast but run WSIR often. I'm starting to run the vette more. Guys runnning vettes at WSIR may have some ideas for me. I have a vette problem on the turn 8/9 complex and want to see what you guys think about my problem. At this time my C5Z06 is totally stock on stock tires. When I approach the braking zone to 9 I am maybe about 115-120mph, brake, heal/toe blip to 4th. In the Z I get a nasty rear lock and rear end jumps like I am not properly rpm matching. Its like the rpms drop so fast that even with a huge deliberate blip I can't get rid of the lock. This causes the car to get very unsettled and I need to pause before I can get back on the gas. This also makes me not to go any faster for fear of joining the "turn 9 rock and garden club". I don't have this problem in any other car. Any ideas to what I may be doing wrong or is that some kind of vette quirk related to the corvette hop or ?????

I also have a situation "again" in the rear where I can feel the ABS coming on braking at the base of the hill coming off the omega before turning up back hill. This causes a prolonged braking time or forced early braking due to traction loss and I waste lots of time here too. Again this is my C5Z specific problem. Are these problems related?

Thanks!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:20 PM
joemoia
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a C5 At WSIR you only have to shift twice; 4-3 downshift coming into T3, and then a 3-4 upshift as you go up the hill towards T6. For the rest of the lap you can stay in 4th. That's the way I run it (I run consistant 34's with no traffic, 33 if I get a good run off T9)

Edit: this assumes you have stock 3.42 R/E gear

Last edited by joemoia; 03-20-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:21 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm not fast but run WSIR often. I'm starting to run the vette more. Guys runnning vettes at WSIR may have some ideas for me. I have a vette problem on the turn 8/9 complex and want to see what you guys think about my problem. At this time my C5Z06 is totally stock on stock tires. When I approach the braking zone to 9 I am maybe about 115-120mph, brake, heal/toe blip to 4th.
Am I reading this correctly? what are you doing in 5th gear UNDER 140 mph? Unless short shifting to save fuel or keep temps down.

at 115-120 mph you should be in 4th gear with a 3:42 rear
Old 03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by joemoia
In a C5 At WSIR you only have to shift twice; 4-3 downshift coming into T3, and then a 3-4 upshift as you go up the hill towards T6. For the rest of the lap you can stay in 4th. That's the way I run it (I run consistant 34's with no traffic, 33 if I get a good run off T9)

Edit: this assumes you have stock 3.42 R/E gear
I am with Joe, although he goes off-track a lot faster than I do. I run all of WSIR in 4th gear, except when I run into turn three. There I go to 3rd and hold that gear until turn six.

I am not sure what to say about your turn nine issue. I have never experienced anything like that on any track.

Braking down into five is tricky. I find that I have to be careful not to induce a power-on oversteer jumping from some downhill trail braking into feeding power. The ABS does not seem to be an issue there for me, just the weight transfer and throttle control....

Old 03-21-2008, 12:58 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Humm....OK fast guys thanks. I'll try it your way. 33's geez I don't even dream that fast. I'm 38's in a 300hp 2900lb car and that's fast for me. I got a long way to go...

Get notified of new replies

To WSIR help

Quick Reply: WSIR help