Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR w/ Wilderness PCA = Awesome! (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:48 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default VIR w/ Wilderness PCA = Awesome! (very long)

Just wanted to post a little debrief on my March 18 VIR day w/ Wilderness Trail PCA for those interested in picking up track events w/ the Porsche guys.

Overall, I had a great time--and keep in mind--I'm still a newbie w/ 7 track days over the last 3 years. These guys were well organized, and offered lots of track time--5 30 minute sessions for $225 to a non-member (well I think they were supposed to charge me $25 more but I paid what they asked!!!) for a day at VIR w/ only 20 cars in the group.

What made the day very special for me was my instructor, fast Eddie Gramisci, (gofasteddie.com)who showed up in his full red fire suite and didn't even drive his car all day. Eddie is a rookie in the Grand am series this year--I think his first race is Memorial day weekend.

Well--what can I say--Eddie taught me to be FAST. During the second session (he let me show what I had during the first) he added several crucial tweeks to my line at oak tree and turn 1-2. By Session 3 I was hitting my marks pretty consistently, which was an horrific problem last year at VIR. The big thing we left for next time is to add the heel/toe downshifting on this course--I mostly ran in 4th. Eddie was really happy all day but I could just hear him glowing over there once during the last session. "I like it...I like it" with a thick Italian accent is a phrase I won't soon forget.

Even in 4th, I had a great time with a C6Z during session 3. This guy could drive. But I had no trouble keeping up in the corners--he wouldn't let me pass though, so since he had me in the straights, I eventually lost him. After the first set of corners though, with nobody ahead of us, I had a slightly harrowing experience in the Esses as I caught up to the C6Z very abruptly and unexpectedly. I had a lot of space to make up going into the esses and just drove at my usual clip--maybe he was having trouble with them. Anyway, I had to let off the gas--so there was a little oversteer. Fortunately, Eddie had me stay in Comp. mode all day. I think comp. really helped there.

Another situation that didn't bother me but it probably should have--an older 911 spun out right in front of me entering T1. I just kept braking deeper into it than usual and didn't turn to give him room. He was cool about it afterward and found me in the paddock and thanked me for not
hitting him. I have a nice picture of him w/ his car and he has one of me with mine.

I highly recommend this group--although there was no classroom--so it's better if you have some experience under your belt! The passing rules were strictly followed by everyone and the Porsches were nice about giving me the pass as warranted. I don't think there were any incidents(ie damage) in the Green/Yellow group I was part of(was one instructor I think that messed up a fender)--although with some classroom time to drum instruction in, maybe there would be an added element of safety added.

Next--Audi VIR

Andy

Last edited by sothpaw2; 03-28-2008 at 01:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:29 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

You will have fun with Audi. I have run with them twice. I can't make this one.

Bob
Old 03-28-2008, 02:57 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I was on the waiting list but didn't make it . You really get a lot of track time with them. They stick to their rules.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:39 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run most of my events with a local P club. They are great guys, and their cost is low compared to others.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:20 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Good stuff ... thanks, Andy
Car apparently held up OK ... did you have to refuel during the day?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:00 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Good stuff ... thanks, Andy
Car apparently held up OK ... did you have to refuel during the day?
Hey Denny,

Car held up just fine except for the brake pedal got a little soft. By this I mean that when you first push it down, at the top of it's travel, it goes a bit further down then before--but still way before I would hit the floor board I get a firm grab of the brakes.

This wouldn't matter except the lower pedal position makes my heel/toe harder since the gas might actually be higher up during hard braking.

I used 3/4 tank on 4 runs and I just skipped the last session. Eddie went home so I would have had to try and find a replacement. At the driver's meeting, they said accidents tend to be in the first & last sessions--I figured I would quit while waaaaay ahead!!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:17 PM
71corv
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Andy, you are correct. The Porsche group (Wilderness Trail) runs an outstanding event. Went with them last August to VIR. Only problem that day was the weather. Air temp was 102*,with track temp above that. The heat damn near "killed me". Didn't make all the sessions.
Will look for you next month at the Audi event.

Gene
Old 03-28-2008, 10:34 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by waddisme
I was on the waiting list but didn't make it . You really get a lot of track time with them. They stick to their rules.
Sorry to hear about that. It was semi-miraculous that I even got to go. I got the email at work on a Saturday--I wouldn't be there except we're super busy now. I had to get my car tech'd Monday morning + buy the helmet too.

a
Old 03-29-2008, 05:38 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to see you progressing and having fun Andy! Hope to see you soon!

Joe
Old 03-29-2008, 09:20 PM
bgx12
Advanced

I was there also. It was well run, I may go to another PCA event this year. I like the days durung the week. I have two daughters and they keep me busy on the weekends with soccer.

I wore out my rotors at this event. Limped my car back to Charlotte. I swapped them out last weekend, not to hard a job.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:02 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by bgx12
I was there also. It was well run, I may go to another PCA event this year. I like the days durung the week. I have two daughters and they keep me busy on the weekends with soccer.

I wore out my rotors at this event. Limped my car back to Charlotte. I swapped them out last weekend, not to hard a job.
Hey there! Sorry we didn't talk at VIR but I certainly did notice your yellow car in the solo group. You were out with some expensive cars in that group, I took a picture of you grided up.

I love the days during the week--with a family, I just can't break it to the wife that I really "need" to go all weekend and ask her to watch our son alone.

Were your rotors cracked? I'll have to check mine. No cracking at all yet but only 5 track days on them.

I'm going to another PCA event at Summit in May--check Summit's site--hope to see you there!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:09 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
Glad to see you progressing and having fun Andy! Hope to see you soon!

Joe
Hi Joe,

Thanks. It sure was fun! I love oak tree! I had the heel / toe down at Summit in the fall at T1 and T5 but not at T10--it is a comfort thing as with going deeper before braking (trying to resist early apexing when later is better). VIR is more demanding--now that I have consistency w/the line (within 2 feet or so on the marks) I will get the shifts in another 2 sessions I bet.

Are you going to Audi's VIR? I know you are planning to get out there to warm up for SCCA--would love to see you again!

Andy
Old 03-29-2008, 11:26 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

I have some pics to post--no URL though to put them at--is there another way to up load pics to post?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 08:58 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Of all the clubs I run with, none compare to PCA's events. Safe, well organized, and less expensive than any other club out there...

Mike
Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

Create an account at www.photobucket.com and host them there.

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
I have some pics to post--no URL though to put them at--is there another way to up load pics to post?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2008, 09:54 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Of all the clubs I run with, none compare to PCA's events. Safe, well organized, and less expensive than any other club out there...

Mike
Just curious who the groups are that you run with? I'm glad I got on the PCA bandwagon but always curious what others are doing locally.

Besides the cost, safety, and organization, I really appreciate the quality of the marque of vehicles that show up. No Honda Del Sol in these run groups--that adds to the fun factor for me.

Thanks for the tip on photobucket--I'll do that next I get a chance.

a
Old 03-30-2008, 12:34 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Andy,
Nice writeup on your day with the PCA. I've run several DE days with them and found them all to be well organized and run as well. While in Memphis, I got certified to be an instructor with them and instructed at several events with them at Memphis Motorsports Park. When I'm back on shore duty next year I hope to get back into track days.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 03-31-2008, 05:55 AM
Mikelly
Melting Slicks

I run with Zone2, Potomac, Reisentoter, First Settlers, and I'll be keeping an eye out for Shenandoah events.

I also run with Chin, Mazdadrivers.com, thscc.org, and AudiClub. I may try a few Trackdaze and carguy events this year and next, not sure though.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To VIR w/ Wilderness PCA = Awesome! (very long)

Quick Reply: VIR w/ Wilderness PCA = Awesome! (very long)