Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer axle bearing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 07:53 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trailer axle bearing question

Was unable to make the track this weekend when I found my trailer tires had wore down to the cords. Need to check them more often.

Since I was replacing all the tires, I took the time to re-pack the bearings. When I removed the dust cap and the metal retaining ring, I found the axle nut to be only finger tight (?).

It's been awhile since I pulled a bearing but I seem to remember the process was to pack the bearing and then seat it by tightening the axle nut while rotating the wheel until the wheel no longer rotates. You then back off the nut until free rotation returns and insert the cotter pin. Doing this resulted in the nut being more than finger tight.

Did I just over tighten my bearings or were they not tight enough to start?

John
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

The bearings probably wore and became loose, hence the "finger tight" nut. Do you have "bearing buddies" on the hubs?

The tightening procedure is the same one I use. Also, when I pack bearings by hand, I put a wad of grease in the palm of my hand and push the bearing against the grease until it comes out on the inside. That way I know the bearing is filled with grease before I reassemble.

Jeff
Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JRD77VET
The bearings probably wore and became loose, hence the "finger tight" nut. Do you have "bearing buddies" on the hubs?

The tightening procedure is the same one I use. Also, when I pack bearings by hand, I put a wad of grease in the palm of my hand and push the bearing against the grease until it comes out on the inside. That way I know the bearing is filled with grease before I reassemble.

Jeff
on both points.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can find hand-operated bearing packers that will not leave your hands a mess and grease all over. Just make sure you use a good quality bearing grease that is recommended by the bearing or axle manufacturer.

I have Bearing Buddy grease fittings on my trailer axles, but I still take everything apart at the start of each season to inspect the bearings and races. It's also a good time to check the brake shoes and adjust them.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:26 PM
JohnD60
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

I have Bearing Buddies on the boat trailer. Makes sense to put them on the car trailer as well.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:32 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the snap-on style of bearing buddies, you have to be careful with some older axle hubs so that the grease being forced in does not push past the seals. If it gets past there, you risk getting grease tossed onto the drums and the brake shoes.

Some trailer axle hubs are designed for using a bearing buddy style of grease fitting. They have internal channels in the hub that forces the grease thru the bearings and back to the outside. You see the grease being pushed out at the axle nut as an indication that new grease has been pushed into the bearings.

Look at either Dexter or Quality Axle hubs.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Take a serious look at the bearings and the bearing races in the hub for any wear or markings. If your bearings were running excessive clearance, the races will show some marking. I would replace the bearing and cups (races). They are inexpensive compared to an accident on the highway at speed due to a wheel bearing failure.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

NCM Sinkhole Donor

And it's always a good idea to carry a spare set of bearings and races along with a small can of grease.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:48 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I saw a rule of thumb published in a manual once that stated,"tighten nut to 25 FOOT#'s then back off a turn or so and then tighten only 25 INCH #'s. YMMV.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer axle bearing question

Quick Reply: Trailer axle bearing question