Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First track day with ECS LS7-427

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:28 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default First track day with ECS LS7-427

Well I have not driven a vette since October last year and after all the changes made to my car I had to relearn everything.

I have to say in the morning sessions I was not pushing the car at all, but in the afternoon on the final run I was somewhat comfortable with the car and wanted to see what it could do.

Chris@ECS got in the passenger seat and we went out for 30 mins. The hoosiers even in the colder weather were great. I had them up at 40psi based on people's opinion on the forum and that was a lot better than the 34 I had before.

First the car has crazy power. I was easily in the 140 range in the bowl. I could have shifted to 5th and got even more out of it, but it was the first day out so I decided to back off when I ran out of 4th gear (I have 3.73s which maybe going bye bye). I ran the infield in 3rd/4th.

It was a 45 degree day which helped keep the temps down, but we were on the short north course which gives the car little time to cool down on its own. Oil temp after 25 mins of pushing the car was 214. Afterwards I talked to a Z06 owner and his temps were in the 260 range so I say the external tank combined with the Dewitts radiator with oil cooler did their job.

Overall the car ran great. I admit I was intimated with the car and braking way too much at the end of the bowl. The wilwoods never failed so I am not sure why my mind said brake early (actually my mind was fighting with brake early and me saying just coast and brake later, but I couldnt get to that level), but I think as I get more comfortable with the car I will adjust more.

Not bad for a first day out. April I have 4 days scheduled so I can give more reviews.

BTW - It is hard to compare how hard it pulls since many times you are pulling a car like a miata or honda, but there was one point on the track where a C6Z was in front of me on the bowl and I mashed the pedal and caught it in a heartbeat.

Old 03-31-2008, 08:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds great 30 minutes with extra weight Yep 40 hot is better I have no clue how guys run real low pressure in T-1. Hope to play soon with my little motor and all the big 427's made this year and new Z's that are modded. I am trying to make Long Course with PDA in April. Was Greg there in a blue C5Z with a wing? Good luck on the new ride!
Old 03-31-2008, 09:03 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Sounds great 30 minutes with extra weight Yep 40 hot is better I have no clue how guys run real low pressure in T-1. Hope to play soon with my little motor and all the big 427's made this year and new Z's that are modded. I am trying to make Long Course with PDA in April. Was Greg there in a blue C5Z with a wing? Good luck on the new ride!
John I hope you make it back to the track soon. I know for many of us it is a place to forget about the world for awhile and just enjoy pushing ourself and our cars to the limit.

Yes Greg was there too. since his 427 and mine just came out of ECS with about the same numbers we wanted to see what happened at the track, but unforunately we were not able to run together.

I will not make April PDA because I am doing north again with CVCC and then the next week up to WGI with SCDA.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:32 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

BTW - It is hard to compare how hard it pulls since many times you are pulling a car like a miata or honda, but there was one point on the track where a C6Z was in front of me on the bowl and I mashed the pedal and caught it in a heartbeat.

We'll have to give that 427 the test with another ECS tuned 427

I wish I could have been there to test my new LG coil-over and T1 bar package. It's impossible to get the feel on the street other than it being retarted stiff. I actually had the car ready (for once), but I planned on only running street tires on Friday (for the rain), and when they cancelled, I had other commitments on Sunday.

I remember the day I first drove my stock C6Z and was like coming from a cammed LS6. And after Doug worked his magic, it is simply I took off the cats over the winter, opened the valve's permanently and beleive it or not, it made a decent SOTP increase in acceleration. Not sure how much RWHP I have now, but it's got to be close, if not 500.

What were the final numbers of the build? I simply can't imagine even another 50hp. At this point, I absolutely can NOT nail the throttle on the street without R compounds or I fear something really bad happening, so can't imagine your beast at this point.

My next day is down at Summit Point with the BMW guys. It's always a cool event and there are several fast drivers. I am really looking forward to the new suspension package more than anything, and are hoping that is going to settle the car down a bit and make it less intimidating at the limit.

I will also be at Pocono East in May, which even though the track map looks lame, even for high HP cars is an absolute blast. It's a course where lighter cars can take an advantage and evens the playing field, which makes it fun.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:54 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
John I hope you make it back to the track soon. I know for many of us it is a place to forget about the world for awhile and just enjoy pushing ourself and our cars to the limit.

Yes Greg was there too. since his 427 and mine just came out of ECS with about the same numbers we wanted to see what happened at the track, but unforunately we were not able to run together.

I will not make April PDA because I am doing north again with CVCC and then the next week up to WGI with SCDA.
You could really stretch it's legs on the long course I doubt I will have the body work done on my car for Long Course but I am trying. Didn't sign for CVCC because I doubted car would be ready and didn't want to cancel like last year. I will be there to see everyone in any case. Then I just need a little doggie luck to get away. East Pocono is a good suspension test and HP becomes less of a factor I will try for that also.

Get notified of new replies

To First track day with ECS LS7-427

Quick Reply: First track day with ECS LS7-427