Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kirkey Seat Review

Old 03-31-2008, 08:41 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Kirkey Seat Review

Well as many know here I installed Kirkey deluxe road race seats with Hardbar rails.

The install is not hard to do and once you figure out where you want the seat, to take the seat out and put it back in doesnt take anytime at all especially since you have dedicated seat rails.

My impression - what a big difference. Usually the day after being on the track I ache in many different places especially after the first day, but I can say with all honestly I really do not ache much. A few spots are sore, but not like usual.

The seats just lock you in so you can focus on driving. This is a far cry from trying to hold my butt in place and trying to drive. I do wish I did this change earlier, but I appreciate the seats more now knowing what it was like before.

I encourage everyone to buy/install a race seat on your early mod list. You will not regret doing it.

Bob

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 03-31-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:51 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

The seats just lock you in so you can focus on driving. This is a far cry from trying to hold my butt in place and trying to drive. I do wish I did this change earlier, but I appreciate the seats more now knowing what it was like before.

I encourage everyone to put buy/install a race seat on your early mod list. You will not regret doing it.

Bob

Great write up Bob
Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally I find it very comfortable also. I think I could take a long drive and not be uncomfortable. It does make you faster also.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:00 AM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I am going to be buying a Ultra Shield in the next day or so. Sat in one the other day and it does seem like the thing to do. Really timely with all the changes going on with PCA, BMW, and others.
Tim
Old 03-31-2008, 11:12 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS

The install is not hard to do and once you figure out where you want the seat, to take the seat out and put it back in doesnt take anytime at all especially since you have dedicated seat rails.
I have an extra manual C5 seat track. Can this seat be mounted to it?

Originally Posted by TmillerC5
I am going to be buying a Ultra Shield in the next day or so.
I tried to buy one last week and was told they are on national backorder for at least a month. Were you able to find one? If so where?
Thanks.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by sperkins
I have an extra manual C5 seat track. Can this seat be mounted to it?
I have seen a few write-ups that say you can do this. Personally I do not like the idea of a Race Seat in the stock adjustable rails. IMHO that will be the weakess link on impact.

Although Hardbar seat rails are probably the best quality in the market and also have alot of fine adjustments that you can make there are other less expensive seat rails that you can buy.

You will be giving up some quality and you will be giving up the ability to make the seat 100% perfect without drilling and maybe other fabrication. to me it was not worth doing that so I bought the hardbar rails for both driver and passenger side. Of course who cares about how comfortable the passenger is so go with a less expensive seat and the cheaper rails for that side
Old 03-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kirkey Seat

I just mounted up my Kirkey deluxe road race seat on the Pfadt brackets.

It took 2 of us about 2 1/2 hrs of in and out to get it right.
If you are looking to put an aluminum seat on sliders, I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea. The instructions from Kirkey say not to do this, plus you need a fixed seat back brace.

I took the car for a spin last night and can definitely feel more seat of the pants ride sensation. As Bob said you are really in there solid.
Old 03-31-2008, 12:42 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Always read seat install posts with GREAT interest.
I know all this has been covered, ( I should have cataloged all the threads) but I've yet to get my mine exactly right ... and I REALLY want to do the install myself, tho I have a reputable shop that can do it at shop labor rates ...

I'm willing to pay for the right mounts and do it myself, PROVIDING they yield a straightforward bolt-in.

I was going to go Sparco Evo's, but I'm leaning toward Kirkey or Ultra Shield - IF they really go in and out reasonably easy.

Fixed mounts - they attach to the seat and bolt into the floor bolts that the stock seats bolts into, right? - that makes the easy in-and-out.

Are there seat belt warning and air bag warning issues that arise when unplugging the stock seats?

Under what conditions (if any) can the stock seat belts be used with the race seat? (street use)

I thank you if you can "hep a brutha out" here ...
DennyM
Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Oyishdog
Melting Slicks

I have the same setup and would never do anything different. It makes a HUGE difference when you have a good seat. The only time you should consider sliders is if you have two different sized people driving the car. Otherwise, fixed mounting is the way to go. It takes no time to swap back to stock seats if you have to drive your car Monday morning.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:23 PM
sidewayz
Racer

Default Seat info

Great info Bob. What width seat are you running? Do you think there room for a 17? Unfortunately, Ive spent more time at the snack bar than on the track and its caught up!

thanks for the info
Old 03-31-2008, 01:31 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Default Kirkey

Mine is a 17. It fits great. No need to alter seat belt mechanism ont the left side. I'm 5'10" 220. I have access to all four bolts. The Hardbar looks like a great mount, however the Pfadt bolts right to the floor without using those gender bender attachments.
I' m looking for the easiest in and out since I do street this car.

I'll try to get some pics of the install this week.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by sidewayz
Great info Bob. What width seat are you running? Do you think there room for a 17? Unfortunately, Ive spent more time at the snack bar than on the track and its caught up!

thanks for the info
yes there is room for 17inch seats that is what I have - 6'1" - 250 lbs (I hide it well )

The problem I found with 17in seats is that the stock seat belt mechanism makes the fit real tight pushing the seat up against the center tunnel. This is not an issue if you are not using the stock seat belts, but if you want it to look like you could use the stock seat belts there is no room to put the part you click into between the seat and the center tunnel.

I am looking into if there is away around this. One thought is to flip the seat rail on oneside to the inside, but I am not sure what that does to strength. Gary comes back on Wednesday and I am going to pass some ideas pass him and see what he thinks is the safest.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:55 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Always read seat install posts with GREAT interest.
I know all this has been covered, ( I should have cataloged all the threads) but I've yet to get my mine exactly right ... and I REALLY want to do the install myself, tho I have a reputable shop that can do it at shop labor rates ...

I'm willing to pay for the right mounts and do it myself, PROVIDING they yield a straightforward bolt-in.

I was going to go Sparco Evo's, but I'm leaning toward Kirkey or Ultra Shield - IF they really go in and out reasonably easy.

Fixed mounts - they attach to the seat and bolt into the floor bolts that the stock seats bolts into, right? - that makes the easy in-and-out.

Are there seat belt warning and air bag warning issues that arise when unplugging the stock seats?

Under what conditions (if any) can the stock seat belts be used with the race seat? (street use)

I thank you if you can "hep a brutha out" here ...
DennyM
Pfadt Race Engineering offers seat mounts that are the straight forward bolt-in solution that you are looking for.

When mounting a race seat you'll need 4 basic components: race seat, race harnesses, shoulder strap mounting bar, and seat mounting kit.

Seat Mount Kit: The Pfadt Race Engineering seat mounts bolt to the factory seat mounting studs which makes it easy to install and remove. We provide the base, side mounts and provisions for mounting all the lap pieces of clip in harnesses. Our kit works with any side-mount race seat. With our system you also have the option of using FIA approved sliders. Taller drivers tend to pass on the sliders because they take up about 3/4 inch of valuable head room.

Shoulder Strap mounting bar: We sell a 4-point chassis bar that includes a shoulder strap bar. If you're not ready for that, we carry a Hardbar Harness bar that is a two-point mount into the b-pillar.

Race Seats: We recommend the Sparco Evo and Evo 2 seats because of its superior fit in the Corvette. Other seats tend to be too wide and you run into problems such as the seat hitting the tunnel and door.

Race Harnesses: We also offer Sabelt harnesses and feel they are absolutely the best harnesses on the market. They feature spring loaded receptacles that eject the harness upon release!

Either 6 point harnesses or 5 point harnesses can be used when a racing seat is utilized. If you're going to retain the factory seat, use a 6 point harness and a lap-harness mount which we also sell (it's just a bolt on piece that accepts the lap belts of your harnesses).

As for using the racing seats with a stock seat belt... DON'T!! I can not stress enough the danger in using the factory seat belts in conjunction with a racing style shell seat!! First, when you remove the stock seat, you are also removing the receptacle for the stock harness. Even if you figure out a way re-install the receptacle, the shoulder harness will be routed outside of the race seat and not positioned correctly (safely) across your chest.

The other question that I receive quite often is "Can I use the 5/6 point harness with out the sub strap?" NO! There is also extreme danger in using the 5/6 point harnesses without the 5th/6th point! In a collision there is the danger of you slipping under the lap belt which would then be forced into your stomach and under your rib cage! At best you will look like this or worse case

As for seat belt/airbag lights. There are no problems in the C5 with removing the factory seats in this department! With the C6 however, you do run into problems. The factory seat can be equipped with an airbag and also seat belt pre-tensioner which the computer will be non-to-happy that you removed. Also, there is problems with the telescoping wheel when you remove the seat. Fortunately, Pfadt Race Engineering has developed a solution that will fix the telescoping wheel and also turn off the airbag light. We can not make any claims to the functionality of the airbag system.

I hope this long winded post was able to answer some of the common questions that everyone has when thinking about installing a racing seat and harnesses into their Corvette! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!
Old 03-31-2008, 02:38 PM
Gary04Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshS
Pfadt Race Engineering offers seat mounts that are the straight forward bolt-in solution that you are looking for.

When mounting a race seat you'll need 4 basic components: race seat, race harnesses, shoulder strap mounting bar, and seat mounting kit.

Seat Mount Kit: The Pfadt Race Engineering seat mounts bolt to the factory seat mounting studs which makes it easy to install and remove. We provide the base, side mounts and provisions for mounting all the lap pieces of clip in harnesses. Our kit works with any side-mount race seat. With our system you also have the option of using FIA approved sliders. Taller drivers tend to pass on the sliders because they take up about 3/4 inch of valuable head room.

Shoulder Strap mounting bar: We sell a 4-point chassis bar that includes a shoulder strap bar. If you're not ready for that, we carry a Hardbar Harness bar that is a two-point mount into the b-pillar.

Race Seats: We recommend the Sparco Evo and Evo 2 seats because of its superior fit in the Corvette. Other seats tend to be too wide and you run into problems such as the seat hitting the tunnel and door.

Race Harnesses: We also offer Sabelt harnesses and feel they are absolutely the best harnesses on the market. They feature spring loaded receptacles that eject the harness upon release!

Either 6 point harnesses or 5 point harnesses can be used when a racing seat is utilized. If you're going to retain the factory seat, use a 6 point harness and a lap-harness mount which we also sell (it's just a bolt on piece that accepts the lap belts of your harnesses).

As for using the racing seats with a stock seat belt... DON'T!! I can not stress enough the danger in using the factory seat belts in conjunction with a racing style shell seat!! First, when you remove the stock seat, you are also removing the receptacle for the stock harness. Even if you figure out a way re-install the receptacle, the shoulder harness will be routed outside of the race seat and not positioned correctly (safely) across your chest.

The other question that I receive quite often is "Can I use the 5/6 point harness with out the sub strap?" NO! There is also extreme danger in using the 5/6 point harnesses without the 5th/6th point! In a collision there is the danger of you slipping under the lap belt which would then be forced into your stomach and under your rib cage! At best you will look like this or worse case

As for seat belt/airbag lights. There are no problems in the C5 with removing the factory seats in this department! With the C6 however, you do run into problems. The factory seat can be equipped with an airbag and also seat belt pre-tensioner which the computer will be non-to-happy that you removed. Also, there is problems with the telescoping wheel when you remove the seat. Fortunately, Pfadt Race Engineering has developed a solution that will fix the telescoping wheel and also turn off the airbag light. We can not make any claims to the functionality of the airbag system.

I hope this long winded post was able to answer some of the common questions that everyone has when thinking about installing a racing seat and harnesses into their Corvette! Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any other questions!

Great info!.
Do you have seat mounts for the C4?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:30 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Any decent race-type seat is a vast improvement over stock - that's for sure. When I was seat-shopping, I watched an in-car video of a stock car (as in NASCAR-type car) with a high-end aluminum seat in a side-impact crash. The halo, rib supports, and even the leg support deformed so much in the impact that the driver's head and upper body made it clear over into the passenger compartment. The impact wasn't even that severe. I'm not saying aluminum seats are bad or anything like that - but watching that vid was enough to steer me towards a little more spendy, but SFI/FIA-approved composite seat. There are a lot of good composites out there in similar price ranges to the Kirkey/UltraShield seats also. Either way, as long as the seat fits you well, it will make any day at the track much more enjoyable - not to mention safe.

Glad your Kirkey's did what you hoped for!

Last edited by mikahb; 03-31-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:32 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks, Josh! ... I'm printing this out for future reference, so I don't have to ask the questions again ...
I already have a 4-pt roll bar, custom fit and professionally welded in
I'll be in touch ...
Old 03-31-2008, 04:11 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gary96LT4
Great info!.
Do you have seat mounts for the C4?
We do not have mounts for the C4 yet. But, it is something that I will investigate next week.

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Thanks, Josh! ... I'm printing this out for future reference, so I don't have to ask the questions again ...
I already have a 4-pt roll bar, custom fit and professionally welded in
I'll be in touch ...
I'm glad I could help! Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Get notified of new replies

To Kirkey Seat Review

Old 03-31-2008, 04:25 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by JoshS
We do not have mounts for the C4 yet. But, it is something that I will investigate next week.
Could you post some information when you find out? I want to install race seats for my 87. Hopefully the factory mounting studs are in the same location for all of the C4's
Old 03-31-2008, 04:44 PM
vettedan
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Could you post some information when you find out? I want to install race seats for my 87. Hopefully the factory mounting studs are in the same location for all of the C4's
George,
I carry hardbar seat rails for C4's. They are the best seat rails out there.
Also:
Originally Posted by JoshS Quote" We also offer Sabelt harnesses and feel they are absolutely the best harnesses on the market. They feature spring loaded receptacles that eject the harness upon release!"quote

The best harness on the market is Teamtech. They have no sharp edges on their buckles and provide padding throughout the chest and abdomen areas. Those who own them can attest to them.
Dan
Vetteworks
Old 03-31-2008, 05:07 PM
TmillerC5
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I tried to buy one last week and was told they are on national backorder for at least a month. Were you able to find one? If so where?
Thanks.
[/QUOTE]

I am probably going to order one from SOLOTIME Perfomance here in St. Louis. He said it would be about 4 weeks to get it. Sorry about the confussion.
Tim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Kirkey Seat Review