Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire traction treatments

Old 03-31-2008, 04:02 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire traction treatments

I remember a post about this stuff and it getting rave reviews. I was thinking of pulling the trigger and using it on some Hoosiers that have about 3-4 events on them from the past season.

I do have some questions for those with experience in such compounds. It is a well known fact that the "amazing" grip of many R compound tires falls off after the first couple events/days...and while grip is still amazing, it's not that brand new feel of the first day. Are there ANY drawbacks to using this stuff? It says it will bring the tires back to life by softening them up, but there has to be some consequence. It can be all rainbows and chocolate.

I am thinking quicker tire wear could be the downside? I guess once a tire hardens, the traction goes down, but the wear rate goes up, so you can get more days out of the tire. I don't want to use this stuff, if it cuts my tire life in 1/2 after a single use.

Also, they sell by gallon, but are not clear on how much to use on the tire? How many times will a gallon treat say a 345/19 and 285/18 hoosier?

Thanks in advance for the responses.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 PM
QwickerRon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What tire conditioners do is return moisture to the tire like it was new. It will feel new. It'll take about 1/2 gallon to treat 4 tires and get ready for track day. Buy a small paint roller and tray. Roll on tires and let dry ( 1 hour or so ). Put 4 coats on with the last 48 hours before your track day. They'll maintain the moisture thru a weekend of running.

It will not increase tire wear and makes them no softer than when they were new. You will not get any more wear on the tire by using it. It's just when the tire is getting hard, you get more track benefit from the last 1/2 of the tire life. You will notice a difference.

Check www.pegasusautoracing. Formula V

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3340

Last edited by QwickerRon; 03-31-2008 at 09:28 PM. Reason: name of product left off
Old 03-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't typically share my tire traction secrets on the forum, but I'll make this exception.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:13 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

I use Formula V as well. I am not noticing an increase in wear rate, perhaps less compared to old hard rubber because there is less wheelspin out of hairpins. I use about 1/4 to 1/3 gallon per treatment cycle, which consists of 3 coats per day for 4 days with a minimum of 48 hours drying time before use. If you have access to a durometer, check the results. The downside is the time involved in applying it; 3 coats takes about 1 1/2 hour(you need to allow drying time between coats.) I do it with the wheels on and the car on jackstands. I use a double set of throwaway plastic gloves with the garage door open. I use this roller: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...asp?RecId=5564
Old 03-31-2008, 10:34 PM
ctk30
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you wrapping the tires in saran wrap or aluminum foil after you coat them?

I've heard of people doing that to get it to soak in better
Old 04-01-2008, 12:24 AM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ctk30
Are you wrapping the tires in saran wrap or aluminum foil after you coat them?

I've heard of people doing that to get it to soak in better
No. The directions on Formula V do not indicate this. It absorbs into the rubber fairly quickly; it is not extremely volatile and although there is some evaporation, as one would expect with any solvent, most of it seems to be absorbed by the tire. I do clean the tires first by performing some light burnouts, swapping wheels front to rear, more light burnouts before treatment. This helps the absorbtion of the chemical.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire traction treatments

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire traction treatments