Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats & Harness Set up

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Seats & Harness Set up

I've got the basics down on the exterior of the my C6Z06: brakes, tires, wheels, paint protections etc. So now that I'm committed to this crazy sport, I want to get to the next level of safety in side the cockpit.

From best I can tell, and I'm starting from scratch here, I need the following:

Race Seat
Harnesses
Harness Bar
Seat Tracks

Am I missing anything?

What is the best seat for a non-racer who doesn't want to spend $1K per seat. Do I need 2 seats or should I just get the drivers seat? How do I know if they'll fit? Looks like most real seats don't recline, right?

What is the best type harness, 4pt? 5pt? 6pt? What do you use and recomend?

The Harness Bar and seat tracks are pretty self explanatory I guess.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:45 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One question, do you have 2lZ or 1lZ?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:53 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 95jersey
One question, do you have 2lZ or 1lZ?
2LZ
Old 04-04-2008, 04:56 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you plan on tracking the car much, you should get two seats. Most HPDE events require that you provide an instructor or passenger in your car the same protection as the driver. If an instructor is going to drive your car and you go along for the ride to learn from him/her, you will want to be as secure as him/her.

IMHO, you want either a 5 or 6 point harness. But that will depend on the seats you install. For 5 point, you want a seat with a harness hole in the bottom to bring the crotch belt up through. If you plan on getting a Hans device, you will definitely need racing seats with the proper shoulder holes as well as at least a good harness bar (BK or Hardbar), seat belt anchors/attachment points, and proper submarine bar for the crotch strap or harness.

There are a number of seats that will work with your car. If you are planning on doing a lot of tracking, spend the money, get good seats, harnesses, helmet, harness bar and a Hans device. Otherwise, in my opinion, if you are not going to have the proper seat/bar/belt/helmet/Hans combination, just stick with the stock seatbelt system and air bag.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:36 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Safety stuff is a system, and the best way to do it, if money is no object, is to get it all at once.

Two racing seats. Many instructors look askance at a car with a super seat for the driver and stick for passengers. Get the same seat and harness setup for both sides.

Harness. This is WAY tighter than normal seatbelts and the only thing moving is your head. That can be bad because if you have an impact, your neck will take the G's of your head bobbling about. That leads to...

Hans/R3/Hutchins2. Some form of head restraint that allows good mobility and visibility.

The seat also holds you perfectly positioned for road racing. It won't let your body go anywhere. That includes if you roll the car. Thus, a rollbar, properly positioned to allow your helmet to clear, is a good idea.

Now, with all that said, most folks do not do all the above. Cutting up your car is hard to do, and reduces the value. It's expensive too, with the Hans clocking in at at least $695, and the seat as much as you want to spend. Likewise, the bar is costly in labor to install.

It's also a risk assessment: How likely are you to roll the Z? Not real likely, so the cage is generally the last thing added. You have to decide what order and whether you want to do all the above. Also, only the seat and harness actually help you drive! The Hans is restrictive (somewhat) and the roll bar/cage makes it a pain to get in and out of your car.

Good luck, and be comforted that many have gone before you down the same road.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track safety equip

I'll do 10 to 12 days this year. I have a C5Z.

These are the things I have so far:

Kirkey Deluxe Road Race seat on Pfadt brackets ( Driver's side)

Kirkey Intermediate road race seat and Kirkey bracket on Corbeau base
(passenger side) Less expensive looks similar

I/O port seat back braces both sides

M&R 5 point harnesses

BK Harness bar

Hans with quick release

Bell M2 helmet

No cage yet but thinking about a 1/2 cage.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:05 PM
H82GOSLW
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

I have an Impact (Simpson) 6 point harness used only 3 times. In brand new condition, manufacture date of June 2006. $140 plus shipping. Even if you're not interested in mine, go with the 6 point harnesses....best and safest setup.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:47 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Alright, so 2 racing seats, the shark bar...5 point harnesses at minimum, but 6 point harnesses are better. Make sure the seat fits the harness.

Hans device important but expensive.

Does that sum it up? Thanks for the tips.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:30 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RUN4CVR
Alright, so 2 racing seats, the shark bar...5 point harnesses at minimum, but 6 point harnesses are better. Make sure the seat fits the harness.

Hans device important but expensive.

Does that sum it up? Thanks for the tips.
Yep, I dont know if 5points are safer then 6, I think its alot about comfort too.
When you look at a harness you can tell the difference between a G force and a Team Tech, the team tech is also double the cost of a G Force, so you have many decisions still.
If it helps I will be right by Bergen County "hacketowns town" actually visiting my inlaws the end of the month, if you want to check my setup out, I have a roll bar, sparco evo 2 and team tech harness.

Good luck Nando
Old 04-06-2008, 10:44 AM
02impactblue
Pro

Originally Posted by PA Z06
Yep, I dont know if 5points are safer then 6, I think its alot about comfort too.
When you look at a harness you can tell the difference between a G force and a Team Tech, the team tech is also double the cost of a G Force, so you have many decisions still.
If it helps I will be right by Bergen County "hacketowns town" actually visiting my inlaws the end of the month, if you want to check my setup out, I have a roll bar, sparco evo 2 and team tech harness.

Good luck Nando
How well does the sparco evo2 fit in your z06? Does it contact the door panel? Is it mounted on a slider or solid mounts? Thanks, I'm researching seats and this is the one I have decided on. Headroom is a concern, I would like to gain an inch more than stock.

Rob
Old 04-06-2008, 04:16 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 02impactblue
How well does the sparco evo2 fit in your z06? Does it contact the door panel? Is it mounted on a slider or solid mounts? Thanks, I'm researching seats and this is the one I have decided on. Headroom is a concern, I would like to gain an inch more than stock.

Rob
I will send you a PM
Old 04-06-2008, 05:55 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PA Z06
I will send you a PM
I'd like to hear the answers as well, I have a lot of the same questions!

Thanks.
Old 04-06-2008, 06:57 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

I'd like to hear the answers as well, I have a lot of the same questions!

Thanks.
Me too - same questions !! Please enlighten us, Sir !!
Old 04-07-2008, 02:58 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Since I'm currently shopping around for a seat for my C5 I'd like to add a couple things. For me, none of the sparcos will work because the harness slots are much lower than the top of my shoulders and I'm only 5'9" 215lbs. I've sat in the evo, evo2, evo2+, and evo3. Both of the evo2's fit me best. A little snug, but that's what is needed on the track. I've called sparco about the slots and the rep on the phone said he was 6'1" and the slots were over his shoulders. I've come to the conclusion that if you have any sort of decent build the slots will be too low on sparcos. I've also sat in a cobra suzuka S GT seat which was very similar to the evo2, but with higher hip bolsters and it had the slots in a much better position. I think an equivalent seat to the evo series in cobra would be the Imola series with the lower hip bolsters. I have not sat in one.
I'm waiting to find a racetech seat to try out. In all the race cars I've built and/or raced I've used either kirkey or ultrashield seats. They all work well. One main difference between the aluminum seats and the composite seats is that aluminum seats are layed back. Usually 20* which means the inside angle between the seat bottom and the back is 110 degrees. On composite seats the angle is generally 90*. That gives more leg room because the legs are tucked closer to the torso not layed out. To be comfortable however many will prefer the seat tilted back a little.
Lastly, if its for a race car, composite seats have dates like harnesses so they need to be replaced. I believe its five years from the build date, but check your rulebook.
Harnesses, look no further than teamtech. I've used them for years and they are by far the best. The first two I've used were the ram pack 5 point. Second 5 point was the 3-2-3 which works great with a hans. Most recently I purchased a jet pilot from hardbar in 3-2-3 configuration for my C5. I have yet to try it, but if it is as comfortable as I think it will be I will be using those from now on. The jet pilot does not require a sub of any sort so it is easier to mount and the seat can be moved for/aft for different size drivers without having to re-attach the sub as in conventional belts. Many don't do that, but for a harness to work properly it must also be mounted correctly.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:15 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

2LZ
If you can figure it out and make everything work right, let us know.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

my ultra-shield is a 10* lay back, and I rotate it back a bit futher, to life the seat bottom under my knees.

Harness, use a 6-point over a 5-point. with a 6-point there are two sub belts, and with a 5-point there is one sub belt, that one sub belt may squeeze the family jewels
Old 04-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

All the above is good advise, below I'm using Corbeau FX1 Pro seats with Hardbars, IO Port Seat braces, and Crow belts. Definitely get the 6 points.

Get notified of new replies

To Seats & Harness Set up

Old 04-19-2008, 01:38 PM
sdz
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a C6 Z06. I am looking at harness equipment right now (and know very little about it). My goals are road racing (not drag). I would like to keep the factory seats if at all possible. Any recommendations for a setup for this (or where I should start reading)? Should I be looking at a roll bar? I do expect to be pulling some hard corners (R6s and FI). I would like to minimize the impact to the interior and keep things looking nice (and comfortable). I only plan on road racing one a month or so, but want to be held in place well and be safe.

Gracias!
Old 04-19-2008, 01:55 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Evo2 sucks as it is up against the door on a C5 and it is shallow in depth.
Old 04-19-2008, 04:09 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corbeau A4 I believe is the seat. its the same seat bondurant uses. Closest in shape, size, etc to stock. And the biggest that will fit in the vette. Best part you can have them for under $400, under $500 for leather.

Get custom brackets made for the seat, then you can lower it to give you more clearance for your head.

Quick Reply: Seats & Harness Set up