Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Novice in Maryland / DC Area

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Losh
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novice in Maryland / DC Area

I am looking for some sort of opportunity to legally run my '08 Z51 (no mods) hard in the Maryland / D.C. area (or close by). I have no experience with this sort of thing and I am simply looking for some fun. Although I would be interested in 1/4 or 1/8 mile runs, I am more interested with an opportunity that has some turns.

Also, my '08 is a vert. Are there any restrictions for verts?

Any help, tips and/ or resources (e.g., clubs, sites, tracks, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:58 PM
Immaculate
Instructor

start here...
http://www.autocrossersinc.org/wp/
Old 04-06-2008, 02:27 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Join NASA and sign up for an HPDE 1 event at Summit Point, WV. You will receive classroom time and have an Instructor assigned to you so you can safely learn to drive in a performance environment. Hyperfest is a great time! You can also drive with clubs like TRACKDAZE - they have an HPDE at Summit Point in May.

NOTE: I just noticed you said 2008 Convertible. You'll definitely need a 4-point rollbar to participate in road course HPDE events. Safety first - and many clubs require them. Piper Motorsports in Sterling, VA can fabricate/install a quality rollbar at a reasonable price.

Mike

Last edited by Gray Ghost GS; 04-06-2008 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:32 PM
wallyman424
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are kindof in a wierd spot with a vert.

Ya can't run with NASA or at VIR at all. Some clubs will allow verts on summit, but that number is getting smaller. Without a rollbar you're in a tough spot.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:39 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Losh
I am looking for some sort of opportunity to legally run my '08 Z51 (no mods) hard in the Maryland / D.C. area (or close by). I have no experience with this sort of thing and I am simply looking for some fun. Although I would be interested in 1/4 or 1/8 mile runs, I am more interested with an opportunity that has some turns.

Also, my '08 is a vert. Are there any restrictions for verts?

Any help, tips and/ or resources (e.g., clubs, sites, tracks, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
A convertible isn't the ideal vehicle and you will need a roll bar for safety even if not track requirement. If you really want to enjoy the car and indulge your passion, check the URL suggested by Aloha C5 for a roll bar and then try a one day Friday At The Track (FATT) novice at Summit Point. It's inexpensive, close to you and you will learn if HPDE is in your genes, or not. PM me if you want further info on getting started.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:30 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by V8 Juice
A convertible isn't the ideal vehicle and you will need a roll bar for safety even if not track requirement. If you really want to enjoy the car and indulge your passion, check the URL suggested by Aloha C5 for a roll bar and then try a one day Friday At The Track (FATT) novice at Summit Point. It's inexpensive, close to you and you will learn if HPDE is in your genes, or not. PM me if you want further info on getting started.
I think FATT is a good place for you to start as Art mentioned. A lot depends on convenience--FATT and a few other clubs run during the week but NASA events are 2-day and on weekends, so you have to figure out when you can get away. I would also suggest checking into the NVCC (Northern VA Corvette Club) event July 11 at Summit.

Auto-x will get you out there more often and is more in expensive but these events consume a lot of time relative to the brief amount of actual seat time in the car on course. Try a Porsche club for Auto-x, and they are good for events at Summit too.
Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Continue looking here:

http://www.wdcr-scca.org/SoloAutocro...6/Default.aspx

and here:

http://www.nationalroadrally.com/index.html

Good times. Enjoy.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:13 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

As above say - you're constrained to autox, unless you put a roll bar in.
Guy in our club went to Bondurant last April - autox'd his C5 vert in May ... this winter he sold it and got a C6 cpe, Z51, extra set of rims and tires, and he's going to autox and track it.
In addition to links above, NCCC does some corvette-oriented autox's ...
First one is up in PA 8 Jun.
http://www.ernccc.org/home.php

Get notified of new replies

To Novice in Maryland / DC Area

Quick Reply: Novice in Maryland / DC Area