Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chase Cam ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 05:57 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Chase Cam ?

I just installed a Chase Cam system and was a little disappointed with picture quality.
I was wondering if any one has used the PDR100 with a different camera or the bullet cam with a different recorder with better results. I have tried the highest quality mode but it didn’t help much just ate memory at a very fast rate.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
autoxn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got nothing but great things to say about my Chase Cams. Maybe you have a lemon. Give Randy a call and see if he can help. He's got Formula One teams using his units. So I'd say that you must have something wrong with yours. Hope this helps.
Mike "Junior" Johnson
Evolution Performance Driving School
Old 04-06-2008, 07:36 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

I used a Sandisk PVR to record a bullet camera I sourced myself. I just recently got a PDR100 from Chasecam. Its quality is FAR higher than the replacement DVR even at the normal setting.

If you are having picture quality issues, could it be you are using the camera inside the dark cockpit looking out towards a bright outside? If thats the case thats a feature of the lux setting of the camera itself not the PDR. This was the case with either if I put the bullet on the harness bar. If I suction cup mounted the Bullet to the windshield looking forward, it worked great (and of course anywhere where the lighting is consistent).

Last edited by TommyBoy72; 04-06-2008 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Originally Posted by TommyBoy72
I used a Sandisk PVR to record a bullet camera I sourced myself. I just recently got a PDR100 from Chasecam. Its quality is FAR higher than the replacement DVR even at the normal setting.

If you are having picture quality issues, could it be you are using the camera inside the dark cockpit looking out towards a bright outside? If thats the case thats a feature of the lux setting of the camera itself not the PDR. This was the case with either if I put the bullet on the harness bar. If I suction cup mounted the Bullet to the windshield looking forward, it worked great (and of course anywhere where the lighting is consistent).
Have you posted any videos?
I would like to compare.
Last year I tried a new standard video camera and it would shut at about 80MPH but the picture was very sharp.
I have it mounted to the harness bar but I have also tried it mounted off the rearview mirror. The picture is not horrible but definitely not like a hand held.
Thanks
Old 04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

We just did a back to back test with my other DVR and the PDR on a very small autox course - bullet cameras are nearly identical in spec:

Here's a PDR 100:

http://www.deathtocones.com/videos/PD-3-30-08.wmv

Here's the Sandisk:

http://www.deathtocones.com/videos/TR-3-30-08.wmv

Both videos have been equally reduced quality-wise through Trackvision.

Here's another PDR video from another day, properly setup, same compression as the above:

http://www.deathtocones.com/videos/PD-9-23-07.wmv

This is from my buddy's PDR which finally convinced me to buy one, no regrets.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Thanks that helped. My video looks more like the SanDisk quality.
I must be doing something wrong.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

If you want to see normal PDR video before compression on my PC, PM me and I'll send you a link. Its too big to let everyone see/download.

Get notified of new replies

To Chase Cam ?

Quick Reply: Chase Cam ?