Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get stock C5 front hubs

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Default Where to get stock C5 front hubs

I broke one of my front hubs again racing at Buttonwillow this weekend.

I figured I am going to replace them both and buy a couple of extra ones. I need to stay with the stock Timken units due to class rules.

I did a Google/Froogle search and came up with this supplier at $139.95.
http://www.ioffer.com/i/Corvette-C5-...aring-30879841

Does anyone else have a recommended source?

Thanks a million!
Old 04-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That's a heckuva price.

Gene Culley at GM Parts House has them for ~$258 and that's about $100 off of list.

Oli, I just looked at the ad in your post. It says:

"Brand new Original Equipment Style (OES) direct fit Front Wheel Hub Bearing Assembly."

Notice the word "style" in the ad. Those obviously aren't OEM hubs, if that makes a difference to you.

Last edited by Falcon; 04-08-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I'm sure those are either stolen or rebuilt, but if you are going through them as fast as it seems like, it's probably worth taking a chance.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:22 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
I'm sure those are either stolen or rebuilt, but if you are going through them as fast as it seems like, it's probably worth taking a chance.

I assumed that they are Timkens on an overstock close-out sale at iOffer... I could be wrong.

I just ordered some and I will let you guys know how they work out....
Old 04-08-2008, 01:24 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get genuine Timken bearing assemblies (the OEM units) from Autozone. The last one I bought (last year) was $140.00, if I recall correctly.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
You can get genuine Timken bearing assemblies (the OEM units) from Autozone. The last one I bought (last year) was $140.00, if I recall correctly.

Frank Gonzalez
That is good to know.

Thanks Frank!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:27 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj

Frank Gonzalez
About right Frank

I think I just paid a bit more $155.00 each for two fronts recently.

Timken is the GM OEM for wheel bearings
Old 04-08-2008, 02:35 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

possibly from China? Let us know please.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

My Timken Boxes said "MADE in THE USA"
Old 04-08-2008, 03:15 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
My Timken Boxes said "MADE in THE USA"
now a days that may mean the box only
Old 04-08-2008, 03:34 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Here's a shout for www.RockAuto.com - about $155/each for the Timkens.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

From what I have heard if you run any kind of oversize sticky tire these bearings tend to go a lot faster. Is this true? If so I am probably going to start adding that as a part to include in my stuff to bring to the track. Just what I need...more stuff to bring. I do believe that Advance Auto has the Timkens also for about the same price.

Bob
Old 04-08-2008, 04:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I wonder about how long mine may last also. Last year the right front and left rear bearings were replaced under GMPP. That was during the 5th season running the car. My 97 went 6 seasons and had all 4 replaced at the same time. So I may be looking at replacing the other two this year. So far I have never cracked a hub.

Bill
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Kanmer
From what I have heard if you run any kind of oversize sticky tire these bearings tend to go a lot faster. Is this true? If so I am probably going to start adding that as a part to include in my stuff to bring to the track. Just what I need...more stuff to bring. I do believe that Advance Auto has the Timkens also for about the same price.

Bob
I seem to be killing mine in short order a long with the pads tapering. Hope the new super duty ones are out soon so when mine are gone I will get them.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:58 PM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

I saw the new roller bearing C5/C6 versions at VanSteel last week, and man are they beefy. I will be stocking them as a product, and the challenge is to get them SCCA, NCCC, etc approved. They will not offer any competitive advantage, and since they are about 2 pounds heavier might be slightly the opposite, but the improved durability should be a big cost savings over a season. I think the retail on the new US made tapered roller bearings will be $273.99 and that is a form-fit-function replacement with the ABS encoder. They are to start shipping in 5 weeks.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:01 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ghoffman
I saw the new roller bearing C5/C6 versions at VanSteel last week, and man are they beefy. I will be stocking them as a product, and the challenge is to get them SCCA, NCCC, etc approved. They will not offer any competitive advantage, and since they are about 2 pounds heavier might be slightly the opposite, but the improved durability should be a big cost savings over a season. I think the retail on the new US made tapered roller bearings will be $273.99 and that is a form-fit-function replacement with the ABS encoder. They are to start shipping in 5 weeks.
not a bad price I had visions of 400-450+ which would make it a harder decision.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I wonder about how long mine may last also. Last year the right front and left rear bearings were replaced under GMPP. That was during the 5th season running the car. My 97 went 6 seasons and had all 4 replaced at the same time. So I may be looking at replacing the other two this year. So far I have never cracked a hub.

Bill

My statistics show I break them twice a season even with some preemptive replacement. I am trying to figure out how many track/race days they are good for.

Some tracks are tougher on the hubs than others. Willow Springs International and Cal Speedway are not hard on them at all. Streets of Willow Springs somewhat rougher. Buttonwillow raceway has a lot of curbing and the fast line around the track involves running up the candy cane curbing to straighten out the corner, especially on Cotton Corners. The roughest spot though is the esses. The fast line through there when someone is on your but is to clip the edges of the curbing at about 112 MPH! That has to be hard on the hubs, but it is fast.

Get notified of new replies

To Where to get stock C5 front hubs

Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Damn Oli, again?

Last time I replaced mine I did the autozone thing. Seems to have worked out well so far (i think I paid 130 for the rears and 160 for the fronts, or maybe it was the other way around?)
Old 04-08-2008, 10:09 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Autozone online catalog has the Timken for $162.99 Vette hub
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
How about showing them Oli's video of cracked bearing and talk to them as a safety upgrade. I certainly do not like the idea of loosing an assembly at speed or near a wall etc...

Quick Reply: Where to get stock C5 front hubs