Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LG Coilover Suspension Systems Are On Sale At ADVANCED DYNO!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 02:22 PM
DRTHVDR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LG Coilover Suspension Systems Are On Sale At ADVANCED DYNO!

Give ADVANCED DYNO a call for pricing at 707.425.3966

Bilstein is at the top of the heap in shock technology world wide. Their nitrogen filled separate chamber technology has been the standard of the shock industry for years. It was only a short time ago that the technology was allowed to be duplicated.

LG Motorsports has used these Aluminum Body Bilstein Shocks as the core of our Coil Over package for years now. The valving was dialed in by Lou Gigliotti and a Bilstein shock engineer on track and on the street.

LG built valving for street cars and for the race car. Of course most of you know the success that LG had on track with the Bilstein/LG Coil over package, winning races against some tough teams and drivers.

Our Coil over package that LG has been building for over 8 years for the Corvette uses the best and highest quality Hypercoil springs. LG knows that the Corvette Market would accept nothing less than the best, so Hypercoil was the natural choice.

Combine the Bilstein Aluminum Nitrogen Filled Coil Over shock with the Hypercoil Springs and LG has a premium coil over package that is race tested, race winning and street proven.

Pricing is less than 1/2 of a similar Moton or Penske package with equal performance as shown on the Race track. And our pricing is only slightly higher than the heavier steel coil overs. And for the street, LG apologizes for giving you more than you need. But LG Motorsports considers that "Value".

Here are some questions that you should ask when getting any Coil over package:

1. What material is the shock made of? Is is heavy steel or aluminum?

2. Is it Gas filled with a separate gas chamber? Because if it is not separate, the shock oil will trap air bubbles and reduce and change the effectiveness of the shock with each stroke of the shock.

3. What Brand of spring is being used? Hypercoil, Eibach, or some off brand with no name. The no name springs will sag and take a set, where the Hypercoil springs do not. They are "Pre Stressed" and blanchard ground top quality wire to insure that their installed height does not change.

4. Does the shock length cause it to bottom out when it is loaded in a corner? LG took the time to have Bilstein build Shocks to their own custom length so there is no chance of the shock bottoming under loading. If a shock bottoms, the effective spring rate goes to infinity and the tire is now the only "shock" absorber in the suspension. Obviously this is not a good thing.

5. Adjustability? Adjustable shocks work well for Drag racing because you need a 90/10 shock for the front and a 50/50 for the rear to promote weight transfer. But for all other applications, you need a tuned and balanced shock spring package that work in harmony. The ***** on the shock work well when you change your spring rate but if your springs are already correct for the shock then you will take the shock out of the range of the spring if you are just turning *****.

In other words: The rebound of the shock IS determined by the spring rate. The rebound rate is what is acting against the spring pressure. If you change the spring rate, you MUST change the rebound rate of the shock because a heavier spring rate will push the shock open quicker or similarly a lighter spring will not be able to over come the rebound in the shock and tend to "hang" the wheel up and reduce the tire contact time. So they both work together, and if you just change the shock rate with a **** without changing the springs to match the shock change, then you have just taken your shock/spring package out of "harmony" and it will not work as designed.

LG's Shock/Spring package was developed by Lou at LG Motorsports in conjunction with the highly skilled engineers from Bilstein. LG Motorsports have nurtured racing contacts to be able to carry that technology into the street products that they build.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:03 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallas@Advanced Dyno

Bilstein is at the top of the heap in shock technology world wide. Their nitrogen filled separate chamber technology has been the standard of the shock industry for years. It was only a short time ago that the technology was allowed to be duplicated.

LG Motorsports has used these Aluminum Body Bilstein Shocks as the core of our Coil Over package for years now. The valving was dialed in by Lou Gigliotti and a Bilstein shock engineer on track and on the street.

LG built valving for street cars and for the race car. Of course most of you know the success that LG had on track with the Bilstein/LG Coil over package, winning races against some tough teams and drivers.

Our Coil over package that LG has been building for over 8 years for the Corvette uses the best and highest quality Hypercoil springs. LG knows that the Corvette Market would accept nothing less than the best, so Hypercoil was the natural choice.

Combine the Bilstein Aluminum Nitrogen Filled Coil Over shock with the Hypercoil Springs and LG has a premium coil over package that is race tested, race winning and street proven.

Pricing is less than 1/2 of a similar Moton or Penske package with equal performance as shown on the Race track. And our pricing is only slightly higher than the heavier steel coil overs. And for the street, LG apologizes for giving you more than you need. But LG Motorsports considers that "Value".

Here are some questions that you should ask when getting any Coil over package:

1. What material is the shock made of? Is is heavy steel or aluminum?

2. Is it Gas filled with a separate gas chamber? Because if it is not separate, the shock oil will trap air bubbles and reduce and change the effectiveness of the shock with each stroke of the shock.

3. What Brand of spring is being used? Hypercoil, Eibach, or some off brand with no name. The no name springs will sag and take a set, where the Hypercoil springs do not. They are "Pre Stressed" and blanchard ground top quality wire to insure that their installed height does not change.

4. Does the shock length cause it to bottom out when it is loaded in a corner? LG took the time to have Bilstein build Shocks to their own custom length so there is no chance of the shock bottoming under loading. If a shock bottoms, the effective spring rate goes to infinity and the tire is now the only "shock" absorber in the suspension. Obviously this is not a good thing.

5. Adjustability? Adjustable shocks work well for Drag racing because you need a 90/10 shock for the front and a 50/50 for the rear to promote weight transfer. But for all other applications, you need a tuned and balanced shock spring package that work in harmony. The ***** on the shock work well when you change your spring rate but if your springs are already correct for the shock then you will take the shock out of the range of the spring if you are just turning *****.
In other words: The rebound of the shock IS determined by the spring rate. The rebound rate is what is acting against the spring pressure. If you change the spring rate, you MUST change the rebound rate of the shock because a heavier spring rate will push the shock open quicker or similarly a lighter spring will not be able to over come the rebound in the shock and tend to "hang" the wheel up and reduce the tire contact time. So they both work together, and if you just change the shock rate with a **** without changing the springs to match the shock change, then you have just taken your shock/spring package out of "harmony" and it will not work as designed.

LG's Shock/Spring package was developed by Lou at LG Motorsports in conjunction with the highly skilled engineers from Bilstein. LG Motorsports have nurtured racing contacts to be able to carry that technology into the street products that they build.

#5 seems to be a well kept secret no one cares about
Old 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM
vms4evr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by John Shiels
#5 seems to be a well kept secret no one cares about
So could Lou or Louis or someone explain this secret to me? I just picked up another 02 Z06 and am considering coil overs now.

Thanks, Graham
Old 04-23-2008, 03:50 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vms4evr
So could Lou or Louis or someone explain this secret to me? I just picked up another 02 Z06 and am considering coil overs now.

Thanks, Graham
If you change your shock valving or springs to much they won't match the each other or work properly. So both have to be changed after about 15-20% change range is what I have been told by many in the know with no agenda in the sale aspect.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-23-2008 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:27 PM
Jim MacZ06
Advanced

I am a Porsche guy with a GT3 that has Motons and everything else including the kitchen sink with regards to suspension improvements. A street car that has turned mid 2:04's at VIR.
LG Motorsports has just completed building an 08Z06 for me with their suspension parts, most specifically their coilovers. After driving the car last weekend at Texas MSR I am of the opinion that the car was an equal to the GT3 in the twisties. (This is saying a lot.)

This weekend the car wil be at Mid Ohio and track times will give me a much better gauge as to the supensions capabilities but the GT3 will be at home in the garage.

LG's products are superior and I encourge all of you to learn as much as you can about them.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:41 PM
Silverton
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do I have this right? First, you select your springs at 700 lbs front and 600 lbs rear. No, wait, how about 800 lbs front and 700 lbs rear. Now, are the LG/Bilstein shocks re-valved for your particular spring selection? Or, are they the same for the 700/600 lb springs and the 800/700 lbs springs?

Also, what range of springs are available? For example, how about about 725 lbs front and 675 lbs rear?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:34 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

There are all types of springs available
Old 05-07-2008, 11:46 AM
DRTHVDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by Silverton
Do I have this right? First, you select your springs at 700 lbs front and 600 lbs rear. No, wait, how about 800 lbs front and 700 lbs rear. Now, are the LG/Bilstein shocks re-valved for your particular spring selection? Or, are they the same for the 700/600 lb springs and the 800/700 lbs springs?

Also, what range of springs are available? For example, how about about 725 lbs front and 675 lbs rear?
They have all different spring rates available & yes, they valve the shocks according to the spring rate you choose.

The most popular spring combination is 700lb front / 600 rear.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:12 PM
0Louis @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JMacs car has a lot of aero improvements- Wing, splitter, etc.

His spring rates are higher than the average customer, and thus his shock valving was changed to match that.

We developed the shock AND spring combo on the race track. This is what we feel works best, and gives the consumer a +/- 50# spring rate change with out changing valving.

If a customer has an odd ball application, we usually work out the valving for them.

Louis
Old 05-07-2008, 12:29 PM
LG Motorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 571 Likes on 292 Posts
St. Jude Vendor Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Hi,

I dialed the shocks in within a 100 pound spring rate variance.

I track tested the coil over package with as low as 600 front up to 750 front and I personally chose the 700 front combination and that is where we finalized the valving.

I tested them again with the final valving and with the 750 or 650 springs my educated butt felt no compromise.

The gas pressure can be adjusted up or down 25 psi from standard which does affect the bump slightly also. But the package is designed for the range that I tested to be optomized.

If any of you want to deviate from the range that I tested and validated the package with, then we will have to give you new valving.

I personally felt that the valving and spring combination was ideal but what do I know.

At any rate, compared to a shock that has a **** that can only open or close an orafice our Bilstein package is heaven.
Remember a shock with only one **** will adjust bump and rebound up or down the same. If you add a stiffer spring and want to increase the rebound, you will also increase the bump equally, which is backwards from what a true adjustable shock would need to accomodate the spring change. So just having a **** is not a good thing for road racing.

And street driving is really the same as Road racing but within legal limits.

Our Coil over package uses the highest quality aluminum body gas chambered Bilstein shocks with spherical bearings on each end to eliminate the spongy interference that comes with having rubber on the shock ends. We also only use Hypercoil Springs, the choice of champions.

Also, our package can be mounted upside down because they are Bilstein nitrogen Gas chambered shocks. This saves unsprung weight which is a good thing.

All that said, if you strive for a better handling Corvette with the control that the high quality Bilstein Aluminum shocks provide, tuned with Hypercoil springs AND if you trust my driving and set up of the package, then you will love the LG Coil over package.

On the other hand, if you have a shock engineer on hand, you might need a 4 way adjustable Penske with high and low speed bump and rebound adjustments to fine tune your transistions into and out of the corners, and to tune your throttle on bite and mid corner handling as well as tire contact stability over bumps. That requires more than a **** that opens and closes one orafice to change stiffness in both directions.

That is alot to learn about shocks. We did our valving with a Bilstein shock engineer on hand.

Note about Hypercoil springs: We run them exclusively on our race cars because they do NOT change height with use. They are pre stressed and precision ground to the exact length. And that length does not change like other springs we tried. Certainly leaps and bounds better than a non brand spring.

Thanks and enjoy your Corvette.

Lou Gigliotti
LGM

http://lgmotorsports.com/gallery/alb...no_compare.jpg

LGM http://www.LGMotorsports.com
Winner Daytona 250
22 WC Wins

"Most powerful Corvette headers on the planet"

Last edited by LG Motorsports; 05-07-2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:52 PM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14

Lou,
I'm not far from Advance Dyno and have been considering your C.O.s.
Will the track setting be good for auto-x? I do day events but do more auto-X thoughout the year. (C-5 Z06)
Another concern is I run 12" rears with a mini-tub, will there be a clearance problem?
Old 05-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
We developed the shock AND spring combo on the race track. This is what we feel works best, and gives the consumer a +/- 50# spring rate change with out changing valving.

If a customer has an odd ball application, we usually work out the valving for them.
Louis
Originally Posted by LG Motorsports
Hi,

I dialed the shocks in within a 100 pound spring rate variance.

I track tested the coil over package with as low as 600 front up to 750 front and I personally chose the 700 front combination and that is where we finalized the valving.

I tested them again with the final valving and with the 750 or 650 springs my educated butt felt no compromise.

The gas pressure can be adjusted up or down 25 psi from standard which does affect the bump slightly also. But the package is designed for the range that I tested to be optomized.

If any of you want to deviate from the range that I tested and validated the package with, then we will have to give you new valving.

Thanks and enjoy your Corvette.

Lou Gigliotti
LGM
Wow, this is the information that I've been looking for. Thank you so very much! I had been considering an adjustable coil-over, but it seemed that once the springs were selected, then the shocks just needed to match them.

I've already dialed out alot of the understeer on my '07 Z51 with 18x11 CCW's wearing 293/30-18 PS2's up front (and, yes, they are too wide ) and 295/30-19's in the back. I also have the Pfadt "street" adjustable sways set in their medium position (halfway between Z51 and T1). For my setup, would 700 lbs front springs and 650 lbs rear springs be a good fit?
Old 05-07-2008, 04:22 PM
LG Motorsports

Originally Posted by steponc
Lou,
I'm not far from Advance Dyno and have been considering your C.O.s.
Will the track setting be good for auto-x? I do day events but do more auto-X thoughout the year. (C-5 Z06)
Another concern is I run 12" rears with a mini-tub, will there be a clearance problem?
If your stock shocks work for the AutoX then these will. I can not say that I have ever autocrossed the car, but I do blast around on slow parts of the track, and at MSR here in Texas, one section is like an autocross. But they should be good unless you are going to go for the national championship, then I believe that there are some necessary tricks that can be done for slow speed transitions around cones that a true adjustable shock will do.

No clearance problems. I did my early C5 with tubs and our coil overs with no issues.

Thanks
Lou G
Old 05-07-2008, 04:35 PM
LG Motorsports

Wow, this is the information that I've been looking for. Thank you so very much! I had been considering an adjustable coil-over, but it seemed that once the springs were selected, then the shocks just needed to match them.

I've already dialed out alot of the understeer on my '07 Z51 with 18x11 CCW's wearing 293/30-18 PS2's up front (and, yes, they are too wide ) and 295/30-19's in the back. I also have the Pfadt "street" adjustable sways set in their medium position (halfway between Z51 and T1). For my setup, would 700 lbs front springs and 650 lbs rear springs be a good fit?

I personally like the 700 front and 600 rear because it does give a little notice when the tires lose grip. We also did all our testing with GM T1 bars, and GM Z06 bars. Both were balanced and extremely nice to drive.
Using a 650 on the rear with the normal Sway bars will help the car turn and give a quicker feel but you need to be "on top of the wheel" a little more.

Keep in mind that it is only an 8.3% change in spring rate, and in the rear of a Vette, the actual wheel rate is decreasing rate due to the shock angle. SO either way, you will be ok.

I doubt that you will dislike either setup.

In fact, I need to go to the track again just because it is too much fun for one guy to have

Thanks
Lou G
Old 05-08-2008, 10:29 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

PM price please for '03Z.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:04 AM
DRTHVDR
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
PM price please for '03Z.
PM sent
Old 05-08-2008, 11:08 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dallas@Advanced Dyno
They have all different spring rates available & yes, they valve the shocks according to the spring rate you choose.

The most popular spring combination is 700lb front / 600 rear.
I just installed them on my Z back in February. I only had one track day (in the pouring rain), and never got above 90mph on street tires, but I immediately noticed the difference and flatless and better turn in. The car was excellent even in the rain. I haven't tried it on the dry track with Hoosier yet, but May 22nd will hopefully be the first dry day and I will certianely report back my findings. I also upgraded to T1 bars as well.

Regarding the spring rates...I tried to talk Lou into giving me a stiffer spring for my otherwise stock Z06 and he talked me out of it and honestly glad he did. The spring rates above are pretty stiff compared to the stock Z06 leafs and anything more than this and you (in my opinion) would seriously start to compromise street driving. I would HIGHLY recommend you start with Lou's pre-determined set up first and go from there if you think you need more, you will be suprised that unless you have an all out race car, you probably wont. Here are some pics of the coil-overs installed.

Get notified of new replies

To LG Coilover Suspension Systems Are On Sale At ADVANCED DYNO!

Old 05-08-2008, 03:41 PM
Silverton
Pro

Originally Posted by 95jersey
I just installed them on my Z back in February. I only had one track day (in the pouring rain), and never got above 90mph on street tires, but I immediately noticed the difference and flatless and better turn in. The car was excellent even in the rain. I haven't tried it on the dry track with Hoosier yet, but May 22nd will hopefully be the first dry day and I will certianely report back my findings. I also upgraded to T1 bars as well.

Regarding the spring rates...I tried to talk Lou into giving me a stiffer spring for my otherwise stock Z06 and he talked me out of it and honestly glad he did. The spring rates above are pretty stiff compared to the stock Z06 leafs and anything more than this and you (in my opinion) would seriously start to compromise street driving. I would HIGHLY recommend you start with Lou's pre-determined set up first and go from there if you think you need more, you will be suprised that unless you have an all out race car, you probably wont. Here are some pics of the coil-overs installed.
Are you running 700/600 front/rear?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:55 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Are you running 700/600 front/rear?
Yes
Old 05-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

As track performance is taking precedence over street driving, the LGM coil-over's are what I plan to use (along with replacing my Z06 sway bars with T1 sway bars). Brakes, suspension and an auto trailer are my Corvette projects for the summer.

If possible, please PM me your sale price for the LGM coil-over's. Thanks.

Quick Reply: LG Coilover Suspension Systems Are On Sale At ADVANCED DYNO!