Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First RR event

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 09:25 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First RR event

I would like to go to my first event as a spectator this spring with my 12 year old son. I just found info on the barber motorsports park in Birmingham. Do they have alot of test and tune days or other road racing events. I don't want to go to something big necessarily. Just want to hang out while people are running their street and track vettes in a test and tune atmosphere.

I live 2 hrs from nashville and 2.5-3 to birmingham. Probably 2.5 to road atlanta.. c'mon guy's, chime in.............thanks

Last edited by tnz5106; 04-09-2008 at 05:48 AM. Reason: additional text
Old 04-09-2008, 05:49 AM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tnz5106
I would like to go to my first event as a spectator this spring with my 12 year old son. I just found info on the barber motorsports park in Birmingham. Do they have alot of test and tune days or other road racing events. I don't want to go to something big necessarily. Just want to hang out while people are running their street and track vettes in a test and tune atmosphere.

I live 2 hrs from nashville and 2.5-3 to birmingham. Probably 2.5 to road atlanta.. c'mon guy's, chime in.............thanks
Please, some info guys. I cant find any info on barber's website....thanks
Old 04-09-2008, 06:55 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

NASA Southeeast runs Barber. Here is a link to their next outing there.
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2008Jun06.jsp
I have run the track with them and they are a great bunch. Very friendly and family oriented. Just watch out for 2 characters. One goes by the name of Falcon and the other is Fred Crawford. Wear waders around them.

Bob
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Hi Perry. There's an SCCA double race here in Nashville June 14/15th - come on up! Should be a pretty good crowd and even though it's not the best racetrack in the world, it's a great spectator track (you can sit in the bleachers and see the whole track).

If you are going to make it up this way, let me know and stop by the pits to say hello!
Old 04-09-2008, 11:13 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
NASA Southeeast runs Barber. Here is a link to their next outing there.
http://www.nasa-southeast.com/2008Jun06.jsp
I have run the track with them and they are a great bunch. Very friendly and family oriented. Just watch out for 2 characters. One goes by the name of Falcon and the other is Fred Crawford. Wear waders around them.

Bob
I have no idea who Bob could be talking about, but if you get an opportunity, come on down to Barber Motorsports Park in Birmingham for the NASA weekend on June 7th & 8th. There'll be races on both Saturday and Sunday. And HPDE's all day long on both days, too. I'm sure some instructors will be more than happy to take you out for a few hot laps to show you what the track looks like from behind the windshield.

At a NASA weekend, there's every kind of car imaginable there, for NASCAR type cars to high $$ Porsche's and everything in between.

Come on down, you can't help but enjoy yourself!
Old 04-09-2008, 12:18 PM
KBlanke
Drifting

What about this? http://www.hsrrace.com
Old 04-09-2008, 02:41 PM
evets
4th Gear

Hi OP, I know its a hell of a drive from TN, but a spectaclar track for
drivers and spectators is Road America - Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin. (6 hr drive)

It would be a road trip you and your son would never forget. The
Corvette Coral (Very special trackside location for just Vettes is great! Lots of nice people and some fantastic Vettes.

A great weekend would be July 17-20, 2008! Check track and schedule at: www.RoadAmerica.com
Old 04-09-2008, 09:12 PM
tnz5106
Burning Brakes

Thanks everybody, thats exactly the info I was looking for. We will definetly hit a couple of them. I am wanting to get back into some sort of racing before I get too old. I used to drag race, but thats too boring for me now. I love my corvettes so much and the mountain roads in east tn are great. But I realize I need to take it to the track.

My son is about to turn 13 and I think it (road racing) would be a great environment for him. I am looking forward to meeting all of you........thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 07:09 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tnz5106

My son is about to turn 13 and I think it (road racing) would be a great environment for him. I am looking forward to meeting all of you........thanks

It is - but you need to keep him away from Falcon's pit babes. They managed to ruin my 16 and 19 year old sons. Only the calming effect of their mother was able to bring them through those experiences.

look us up - we will be at Barber...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
anotherone
Pro

I am wanting to get back into some sort of racing before I get too old.
Go to a few hpde's and you are going to get surprised. Old methusala? out there will be ripping up the track. East tn hmm- the road that goes from Jamestown to Livingston is not only beautiful scenery but is a hoot to drive!!! hwy 52 Just what is too old?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:33 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

If I knew what I know now when my son was pre-teen, I'd have tried to get him into karts (and mebbe me along with him) ...
But me and my brother Methusala started late, but still go to the track ...
Old 04-10-2008, 08:12 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Cruise-In VI Veteran

Eastern TN is not that far from VIR also. Plan to visit that track. If you vand swing it, come on 6/30-7/1 for the NCM event. Its a mon & tues but its the 4th of July week. There will be approx 200 vettes there running one of the premier course in the country. And I am sure you can get a ride. If you want to see actual racing check out www.virclub.com

Bob
Old 04-10-2008, 08:20 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Eastern TN is not that far from VIR also. Plan to visit that track. If you vand swing it, come on 6/30-7/1 for the NCM event. Its a mon & tues but its the 4th of July week. There will be approx 200 vettes there running one of the premier course in the country. And I am sure you can get a ride. If you want to see actual racing check out www.virclub.com

Bob
I'd really highly recommend this to the OP. Nothing beats NCM VIR.

Get notified of new replies

To First RR event

Quick Reply: First RR event