Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny cooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:43 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tranny cooler questions

Alright, so I'm trying to plan out my tranny cooler install so i have everything before i start (for once). I have a pump, a core and some lines, the only thing i dont have is fittings for the tranny itself. Does anyone know what the thread pitch is for the tranny fill and train ports? Or better yet, is there a fitting that can be used?

Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2008, 10:17 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

3/4" pipe sticks in my head, but I'd pull the fill plug and match it up.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:10 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Do you have an adapter for the fill plug (brass with temp probe)?
If you don't want to pull the drain plug to measure ... guess you gotta go to a dealer and buy a spare ...
Old 04-10-2008, 03:51 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I think it's 1/2" npt, not 3/4"

the diff is 20mm.

There is a pdf on diff fittings on my site..... http://www.davidfarmerstuff.com/diff.pdf

I didn't do the trans fittings, because most people either buy the T1 kit, or you can pick up 1/2" fittings at any race shop.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:46 PM
0Doug@MorosoPerformance
Former Vendor

Dave is correct, it is 1/2" npt. I used a 1/2" nipple and tee to a Fragola -6x1/2" mpt adapter. I used the tee so I could install a temperature sending sensor.

Last edited by Doug@MorosoPerformance; 04-11-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:24 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys! This is why i love this forum
Old 04-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Ross, are you getting tranny temp warnings on your DIC? Just wondering if its something I should watch for. I heard if you're going to do a cooler, then do a diff cooler as it has not temp sensor or warning to the driver. True?

Bob
Old 04-11-2008, 04:46 PM
JaxVette
Instructor

Default Tranny & Diff Cooler

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Ross, are you getting tranny temp warnings on your DIC? Just wondering if its something I should watch for. I heard if you're going to do a cooler, then do a diff cooler as it has not temp sensor or warning to the driver. True?

Bob
Bob,

A lot of the heat comes from the diff and passes into the tranny. I've talked to, heard from and seen applications where manny people have just put either the tranny cooler on or a diff cooler. Sometimes it works ok, sometimes not. Don't just do a diff cooler because it's easier than putting in a fitting for the temp sensor on the tranny.

I put the tranny and diff cooler on my Z06 over the winter and am very happy I did. I overheated my tranny too many times last year running hard and had to come in early too many times. Now, with these two coolers, there's nothing to worry about. Run as hard as I want as long as I want and the temps are fine.

There's some people like Mike, who seem to be able to run and run and run and never overheat the tranny, without a cooler. Oh wait, Mike doesn't run that fast, does he!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To tranny cooler questions

Quick Reply: tranny cooler questions