Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about an Ariel Atom 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Thinking about an Ariel Atom 3

Not necessarily as a replacement for my '06Z but it could ultimately be if I liked it. If I pull the trigger on the Atom I will hang onto the Z for some time regarless.

Just something about that car that I need to at least try for a while. Resale values seem to hang in there pretty well so cost of ownership over 1-2 years shouldn't be that bad at least as far as depreciation goes.

I saw a pair of them last summer at VIR but not on the track. Realize there are probably a decent number of clubs that won't let them run at HPDE events given open wheel configuration but I think NASA, Chin and others will allow it.

Anyone ever drive one?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:24 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove one with the GM engine in it, and wasn't impressed by the speed so much, but the rest of the car is a blast.

It handles much like a Formula car, just with more weight and you can bring a friend along.

Though, with that formula-car handling comes formula-car nastiness when it isn't set up right, I was helping give feedback on the setup, and I can tell you that the extra weight made it do BIGGER nastier things than an F2000 car.

Does that mean I wouldn't run one around the track, heck no. I would just make sure it has a good alignment and corner-weighting. It's more racecar than street car, and the suspension isn't as forgiving to miscues in setup.

Also.. It is open, there is lots of air, dust, etc that gets to you, and a lot of buffeting. My Bell dominator helmet that doesn't budge at 180mph in an LMP or 135mph in an F2000 car was getting kicked all over the place. Though you can hang a license on it, I wouldn't consider it a street car - and I *would* consider the Radical SR3 one..

Jon K
Old 04-10-2008, 09:54 PM
jrz1
Pro

Thks for color. The 3 is going back to the Honda engine with revised mounts and different gearbox. Supposedly a lot smoother with much improved NVH. Guessing it would be a start from ground zero learning curve on the track. I am going to try and get up to VIR where the new ones will be made to drive one prior to ultimately pulling trigger.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:47 PM
xsiveone
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this Aerial Atom.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:52 PM
C5SCCA
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Don't do it. Check out http://www.superlitecars.com/ the roadster is like 16,000 or so for the roller. There is also functional body work for this vehicle. I do not see why anyone would pay the price for the Ariel when you can get the same performance with a better looking body for significantly less. Plus the guy that builds them is apparently top notch. Fran Hall I believe is his name.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:00 AM
AMERICANMUSL
Drifting

The answer to supplement the Vette should be obvious especially where you are located and about a 1/3 of the price of an atom...I've driven an atom and to me are a bit boring and unchallenging. Rather the Thunder Cup Roadster-fun factor A+, little wear and tear, safe and cheap by comparison. Not to mention they are coming with a new road race body style!
Oh, and a 25 min session = 2.5 gal of reg unleaded.

I and several corvette owners have never looked back.

Ed
Old 04-11-2008, 02:27 AM
tjZ06
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by xsiveone
I like this Aerial Atom.

That's the Wrightspeed, they owner/inventor brought it by my work for a "Tech Talk" then gave rides. Pretty impressive w/ instant electric torque and the traction control system. Didn't really blow my mind either though. I think he got a few deposits out of his visit though (if they ever go to production, I never followed them to see what happened).

-TJ
Old 04-11-2008, 08:02 AM
rudyarias
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I drove one with the GM engine in it, and wasn't impressed by the speed so much, but the rest of the car is a blast.

It handles much like a Formula car, just with more weight and you can bring a friend along.

Though, with that formula-car handling comes formula-car nastiness when it isn't set up right, I was helping give feedback on the setup, and I can tell you that the extra weight made it do BIGGER nastier things than an F2000 car.

Does that mean I wouldn't run one around the track, heck no. I would just make sure it has a good alignment and corner-weighting. It's more racecar than street car, and the suspension isn't as forgiving to miscues in setup.

Also.. It is open, there is lots of air, dust, etc that gets to you, and a lot of buffeting. My Bell dominator helmet that doesn't budge at 180mph in an LMP or 135mph in an F2000 car was getting kicked all over the place. Though you can hang a license on it, I wouldn't consider it a street car - and I *would* consider the Radical SR3 one..

Jon K
I could not have said it better. Its a great runner for the track if its setup properly. Of the two I drove. the one with the Super Charged Ecotec had a more aggressive tune and was a bit quicker than one with the Honda engine. Either engine regardless, they both were FUN to drive. Check Top Gear's review of the Atom on YouTube. You'll notice Jeremy's face becoming putty and eating bugs when he's driving it at speed

You could run in NASA's SU or TT.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Karlo
Heel & Toe

Default Exoskeleton Cars

jrz1

The Superlite Roadster and the Vstorm IMO can rival the Ariel Atom with some setup at half the price. Currently the Base Atom starts at $58k. But you have the budget the Atom has the pedigree. Jay like his.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

If you are interested in a track day car for HPDEs, I highly recommend checking out C or D Sports Racers. A good used one can be purchased for between $25 to $30K, with all kinds of goodies and spare parts.

They are extremely capable racers that can blow the doors off stock, highly modified, or even full race corvettes!!

Here are some videos of them in action!!

http://www.google.com/search?q=sport...tube.com&hl=en
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Be sure about your decision. Speed is not everything. Looks like a ready made coffin if you ask me. Also, depending on the what you plan to do with it. If you want to race it in a class with similar weight vehicles, then fine, but imagine doing an HPDE and getting hit by some 3500lbs street car at speed. It will be reduced to a few atoms.

Remember HPDE is mostly street cars and you want something out there that is not going to get crushed in case of a bad accident. That is why I like Corvette's. Fast, somewhat affordable, and safe.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
jrz1
Pro

Some interesting responses all of which are appreciated. Will check out the alternative "toy" ideas people have thrown out. Think one thing the Atom has going for it is resale. For better or worse, largely due to the amount of marketing they've done and press they've received, there seems to be a steady and reasonably strong demand for used ones which has made for good residuals. That' a key consideration. Whatever I do, I don't want to "spend" a bunch of money through depreciation. Don't mind parking the money in a vehicle for a year or two as long as I can get good amount of it back. Kind of like "renting" a car.

Get notified of new replies

To Thinking about an Ariel Atom 3

Quick Reply: Thinking about an Ariel Atom 3