Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face vs Open Face...

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 09:31 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Full Face vs Open Face...

Over the last couple years I have only done a handful of DE's and Lap days and found that my old motorcycle helmet worked. I just spent the winter prepping my car (mainly safety items) for hopefully a full season of HPDEs and now its time to modify my personal safety items. Looking for a new helmet and curious as which way most people go and why. I see alot of both. Is it just personal preference? Ive been learning a lot from you guys and am dying to get out on the track and learn more so help me decide. Ah, and feel free to suggest actual models. Thanks

Steve
Old 04-11-2008, 10:18 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I think it's just personal preferance....I like the open face helmet....I don't feel as clausterphobic....
Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

you may wana check with your local outfit club that you run with. Some of them will allow you to run openface and others want you to have a full face. that is something you will wana look into also. On alotta the Track days i have been too i have seen mostly closed face helmets. But like i suggest you may wana look through the rules of the track or the club that you run with
Old 04-11-2008, 10:52 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Full face with eye shield down. Too much stuff flies into you car and hits you in the face,; bugs, sand dirt, track turds, birds.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Miaugi
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Steve, I'd say your best off with a full face as well. Make sure it has a SA2005 rating.

When you know what events you're doing let me know, maybe we can hook up? So far I'm booked for an afternoon at the new racing school/track at Mirabel and two events at Tremblant. Mosport, Watkins Glen and Calabogie are all on my short list for this season.

Steve
Old 04-11-2008, 12:47 PM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Miaugi
Hey Steve, I'd say your best off with a full face as well. Make sure it has a SA2005 rating.

When you know what events you're doing let me know, maybe we can hook up? So far I'm booked for an afternoon at the new racing school/track at Mirabel and two events at Tremblant. Mosport, Watkins Glen and Calabogie are all on my short list for this season.

Steve
Hey Steve, What are the Tremblant events? can I get into one of them?, would love to get out there and since I have to be in Mtl a couple times this summer for customer stuff, I could make it work. I have 2 Shannonville lap days and a Mosport School day booked. I'm really looking for whatever events I can swing. Mid week is much better for me then weekends, let me know.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Simpson super voyager full face and love it. you should also use a neck support with a full face they are only about $30.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

G-Force has what they call a bybrid. It is what I got. It works pretty well for me. Then I just wear my sunglasses. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:16 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Full face. An open can't protect you from **** flying in the car.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Full Face for safety reasons. You have to run with the windows down and if you ever have to pull a track turd off you helmet about where you forehead is you will not regret the choice. Also if someone goes off in front of you and kicks up sand you will have more protection. I use the G Force Graphix SA 2005. Retails for $279.00 US. I have 2 shields that I alternate depending on the day. One clear one dark. What ever you decide just make sure it has a SA2005 rating.

Bob
Old 04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Full face with eye shield down. Too much stuff flies into you car and hits you in the face,; bugs, sand dirt, track turds, birds.
I wear glasses and so don't use the shield. I really like to eat and all it takes is one bite out of the steering wheel or other part of the car and you at best would need major jaw reconstruction with an open face. I do agree it is less claustraphobic, but it is far safer to use a full face. Yeah,, we all plan on nothing happening, but racers always feel that way too and I thihnk you wold find that the pros would not go back to open facees. The HANS is another consideration. Not required but is worth while
Old 04-12-2008, 01:12 AM
David A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefer an open face helmet mainly because of heat and the cost of a open face helmet is more in line with my budget. Yes it is a $10 head and even at that I probably still owe some change.
A short time ago the SCCA suggested an open face helmet if the vehicle was equipped with a functioning SRS (airbag) system. I believe that statement was retracted within a few weeks. I never heard why they made the statement in the first place or why it was retracted. Speculation is that some unnatural movement of the head/neck may occur if the airbag interacts with the lower chin portion of a full face helmet. I am also sensitive to wind in my eyes so I always wear goggles. The Simpson Spex goggles have a lexan lens that is extremely strong. This is not a recommendation, simply what I have decided to do. YMMV.

Good Luck
Dave

Last edited by David A; 04-12-2008 at 01:14 AM.
Old 04-12-2008, 07:16 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

a few years ago, I decided to try my hand at running in the wet. Not too many cars on the track so it was wide open. Put on the street tires and just took it easy out there.

first session, no problem, second session was getting a bit slippery and fouth lap, I slowed down though the lower esses, and off into the left side tire wall.

My left side mirror folded in, the glass popped out bounced off my chin guard and landed over on the right side on my dash.

Put a big dent on my helmets chin guard. My guess it would have broken my jaw.
Old 04-12-2008, 08:49 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

An open face helmet is fine if you don't care about your nose, teeth, chin, etc. I wasn't aware that anyone permitted open face helmets anymore at track events.
I have been using the lightweight Bell kevlar helmets for years, and found out that sometimes you have to actually use it. Kevlar is an amazing fiber for penetration resistance, and I unfortunately, did a real world test at Loudon a few years ago. I got my bell rung pretty good, but survived. I have no problem spending $450 for a helmet after this:
Old 04-12-2008, 09:34 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Gary, that's the same helmit I use, actually on my second M3.
I'm with Gary on the quality of Bell helmits. I have a Bell AFX hanging on the wall with similar damage, hit the asphalt upside down in a formula car.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Correction, they aren't $450, it is $559 now! Still worth every penny.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:36 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoffman
Correction, they aren't $450, it is $559 now! Still worth every penny.
yea but your not protecting a 10 dollar head

Get notified of new replies

To Full Face vs Open Face...

Old 04-12-2008, 10:59 AM
RAFTeRACER
Instructor

Mmmnm..Open face club sandwich
Old 04-12-2008, 08:24 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

The other time I've been happy to have a full-face with a visor is running in the rain. Enough water comes in when you're going 120 in the rain that a visor keeps it out of your face. I suppose goggles would at least keep it out of your eyes, but you could drown if your mouth was open.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:39 AM
jlcvt
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL

Quick Reply: Full Face vs Open Face...