Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Ten Driving Mistakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Top Ten Driving Mistakes

http://www.sccawiregrass.org/mistakes.html

Mistake #1: Improper Driving Position

Mistake #2: Failure to Look Ahead

Mistake #3: Improper Braking Technique

Mistake #4: Improper Downshift Technique

Mistake #5: Apexing Too Early

Mistake #6: Premature Acceleration

Mistake #7: Not Using the Entire Track

Mistake #8: Failure to Compensate for Slip Angles

Mistake #9: Killing your Momentum in Traffic

Mistake #10: Poor Weight Management

Read the info here: http://www.sccawiregrass.org/mistakes.html
Old 04-12-2008, 03:33 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would move them around some, and put "looking ahead" #1.. I find that if you get a student/noob/rookie looking in the right place, early apexing goes away. In that article they say to look out the side windows, but it doesn't stop there, it also means getting your "eyes up" in the windshield.

Improper driving position is true and has a big effect, (probably more in autocross where there is no formal instruction) but I find that the more students I see, the more most of this is caused by inconsistancies with body-size and car setup than a lack of knowledge abotu how to sit. I am short so I can fit well in any cars, but many time I get in with students who HAVE to be too far away from the wheel because their legs won't fit under the dash or vice versa..

Improper braking even says "you may not be looking far enough ahead" making it a looking ahead issue, and not a braking issue. I also don't agree with the rest of the paragraph in whole, particuarly scolding the "going back to the throttle" before apex. A couple of the "pro" driving schools teach going back to the throttle at turn-in, it's something I do, and it's something I see MOST of the F1 drivers do (granted, F1 cars are perfect for what makes you really fast, but it's still not fair to say that going back to the throttle before apex is is "wrong") I find that when teaching, whatever means the student is comfortable with for balancing the car through the corner - trail braking, throttle to plant the wheels, etc.. let them do it.

The rest are good, but I don't know that I would rank them, in my experience they are all made about equal, and different students have issues learning different ones, or breaking the bad habits of each one, at different rates. Poor weight management should really be explained in the early throttle/poor braking techniques, as it is a product of those.

In all I think it's a good list though, one that can be referenced for things to at least be aware of when going to the track - both for the veterans who may have developed some bad habits, and the noobies who are looking not to start them.

Jon K
Old 04-12-2008, 04:47 PM
jlcvt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Does this mean I have to go on a diet?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:36 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jlcvt
Does this mean I have to go on a diet?
I think MANY OF US DO..

and Yes this more then just driving . .
Old 04-13-2008, 01:46 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by racerjon1
I would move them around some, and put "looking ahead" #1.. I find that if you get a student/noob/rookie looking in the right place, early apexing goes away. In that article they say to look out the side windows, but it doesn't stop there, it also means getting your "eyes up" in the windshield.

Improper driving position is true and has a big effect, (probably more in autocross where there is no formal instruction) but I find that the more students I see, the more most of this is caused by inconsistancies with body-size and car setup than a lack of knowledge abotu how to sit. I am short so I can fit well in any cars, but many time I get in with students who HAVE to be too far away from the wheel because their legs won't fit under the dash or vice versa..

Improper braking even says "you may not be looking far enough ahead" making it a looking ahead issue, and not a braking issue. I also don't agree with the rest of the paragraph in whole, particuarly scolding the "going back to the throttle" before apex. A couple of the "pro" driving schools teach going back to the throttle at turn-in, it's something I do, and it's something I see MOST of the F1 drivers do (granted, F1 cars are perfect for what makes you really fast, but it's still not fair to say that going back to the throttle before apex is is "wrong") I find that when teaching, whatever means the student is comfortable with for balancing the car through the corner - trail braking, throttle to plant the wheels, etc.. let them do it.

The rest are good, but I don't know that I would rank them, in my experience they are all made about equal, and different students have issues learning different ones, or breaking the bad habits of each one, at different rates. Poor weight management should really be explained in the early throttle/poor braking techniques, as it is a product of those.

In all I think it's a good list though, one that can be referenced for things to at least be aware of when going to the track - both for the veterans who may have developed some bad habits, and the noobies who are looking not to start them.

Jon K
I am a driver of limited talent and share my experience for what it's worth; I agree with Jon on #1. My first instructor Varkswo told me to look ahead and guess what, the car goes where you look like magic! Instructor Pancho Thompson said he could tell how I was doing by watching the movement of my helmet. Look through the corner and the turn gets smoother and faster; look waaay ahead and braking is later, get in trouble? look where you want to go and chances are you will go there. Steering is connected to visual input independent of mental processing and if you are thinking how to make the turn while in the turn, it's your turn for 4 off!!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:24 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 137 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

I think the biggest problem is thinking with the little head instead of the big one.

Robin
Old 04-13-2008, 04:02 PM
TRACKMAN2
Burning Brakes

premature acceleration.... i ued to do this allot when i was younger it was embarasing for everyone but as i got older i learned several techniques to control it ..
Old 04-13-2008, 04:13 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for putting this list up. I find that unless someone points out what u r doing incorrectly it is hard to know that you're doing it. In oyher words in car coaching or video review w/ or w/o data is more useful than giving someone a list. I know that you're posting the list to be helpful and I think the list is especially from a very experienced driver like yourself. But what about offering video examples of some of the incorrect tendencies and their results. Thanks for info, we can always count on u for driving tips
Old 04-13-2008, 08:01 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Good list Tom
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Noted.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:02 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TRACKMAN2
premature acceleration.... i ued to do this allot when i was younger it was embarasing for everyone but as i got older i learned several techniques to control it ..
I am not sure thinking about baseball mid-corner is a great solution.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:09 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Mistake #1: Improper Driving Position

Mistake #2: Failure to Look Ahead

Mistake #3: Improper Braking Technique

Mistake #4: Improper Downshift Technique

Mistake #5: Apexing Too Early

Mistake #6: Premature Acceleration

Mistake #7: Not Using the Entire Track

Mistake #8: Failure to Compensate for Slip Angles

Mistake #9: Killing your Momentum in Traffic

Read the info here: http://www.sccawiregrass.org/mistakes.html
My wife says I am guilty of all of the above . . . and that was before I ever went to the track!
Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 AM
mrwrenchphd
Racer

From my experience in both auto cross & hpde events over driving should be number one. That was my number one sin in the beginning & I see a lot of it even in the advance hpde driving groups.

On edit: maybe it's covered under "Poor Weight Management"

Last edited by mrwrenchphd; 04-14-2008 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:00 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks Tom and Jon!!!! Great points for both Students and Instructors. As Jon said all of them are important, it depends on the one that is affecting you. JD
Old 04-14-2008, 08:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Some thing I do with advance students, is work with them to relax. The idea is having them drive lap after lap, hitting the same marks on each corner every lap. So consistent that it is almost boring.

I do this by having a conversation about something completely away from cars, racing, driving. Something that is very relaxing.

This allows the student to relax, ease their breathing, drop their heart rate, look up the track, watch the mirrors, feel the car, talk about something else AND KEEP consistent lap times. This is when the driving becomes ingrained into memory or almost instinct, at the subconscious level.

Then we work on little be faster, a 1/10th here or a 1/10 there.

There are so many things going on inside the car, one must quickly beable to learn in differnt ways quickly AND RELAX.

Have you guys ever noticed how relaxed and refreshed Micheal Schumaker ( sp?) looked after his races? and the 2nd or 3rd place driver looked exhausted?

and how does one learn all this zen or metephysical stuff?

Seat time Seat time and MORE seat time

Last edited by AU N EGL; 04-14-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:20 PM
V8 Juice
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Have you guys ever noticed how relaxed and refreshed Micheal Schumaker ( sp?) looked after his races? and the 2nd or 3rd place driver looked exhausted?
Tom,
You are right, but the reason Schumacher is relaxed and I'm not is that we are on opposite sides of the ka-ching factor: Michael adds to his bank account very lap and everytime I brake I hear the rotors/pads/tires go ka-ching against my bank account!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:42 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Very true Juice, Very True

Get notified of new replies

To Top Ten Driving Mistakes

Old 04-15-2008, 06:49 PM
LehmanZ06
Pro

#11 picking nose while driving
Old 04-16-2008, 10:04 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Some thing I do with advance students, is work with them to relax.
How do I make myself relax? I found last weekend I was clutching the wheel and using it to hold myself in place - completely unecessarily, of course. I have a full race seat and 6 pt belts.

My shoulders and forearms were killing me, and it was NOT from "other" activities
Old 04-16-2008, 03:07 PM
cire96
Burning Brakes

Nice list, but you missed the "red mist". It's by far the biggest racing error!
Cire

Quick Reply: Top Ten Driving Mistakes