Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first Auto-X

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 08:02 PM
athaynes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first Auto-X

So yesterday I went to a driving class to learn the rules and details of auto-x as well as the best way to get around the course in my car and today was my first event. I thought I loved my C6 for its beauty and street performance, but I had no idea, how awesome this car was to really drive the way it was design to be driven. why did I ever do that!! I shaved almost 3.5 seconds off my first time by the end of the day, but I feel like I might be at the limits of the OEM tires, or maybe that's just me feeling like a professional race car driver after my extensive 1 day career.

I have read a lot of posts about the most bang for your buck upgrades in engine performance, but I have plenty of power and I am learning how to use it in the auto-x arena. My question is; can I get some ideas on how to spend money to really help me get the car around the course while not jumping classes too fast? I am sure tires are at the top of the list, but what do you like? I am planning on getting new wheels for the street and using my factory wheels to keep the race tires on for the weekends.

I have a C6M with F55. The only thing I have done is a Bassani catback. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:33 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Welcome to the addiction! AutoX is a great sport, and your Corvette will love you for getting it out there and stretching its legs.

As far as mods go - there is only one you should consider at this point, IMHO - that is Evolution Driving School. Even though it feels like your tires are holding you back, that is fairly unlikely (not impossible) at this point.

For now, get more seat-time, your times will continue to drop, and at some point you'll be ready for race rubber. Guys who switch to R-compounds too soon often don't learn to correct a lot of their bad habits. The tires will make you go faster, but only good technique will eventually let you go REALLY fast.

Good luck, and have fun!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Viscerl
Burning Brakes

He beat me to the Evo school. Best investment that money can uy for your time and *amazing* it doesnt bump you a single class!!!

Secondly, go to every AutoX you can and ask anyone that looks like they are really smooth to take a ride with you.

Once you really think you know your stuff, most stock classes allow R-compound tires. If a Hoosier 710 is available, its a best first race tire in your size. A spare set of factory wheels is perfect to receive them.

Pretty much every other mod other than a harness bar and harnesses (and shocks and front swaybar) is going to bump you up a class if you are doing SCCA.

Welcome to the addiction. It's far easier if you can get your partner/significant other/etc. addicted too.

Chris
Old 04-13-2008, 11:03 PM
1lapRacer
Instructor

Auto-xing is an addictive gateway into the motorsports lifestyle congrats on your start down the long and winding path.

I agree with the other poster that you are probably not really out of tire. You might want to check with others who run the same combo of car and tire on what tire pressures they are running. Working on being smooth on turn in and throttle control on corner exit can often get more out of the same car/tires. If you have a chance at the next event, find a very experienced person in the club to run your car through the autocross and use it as a baseline time and if the rules allow for you to be the passenger, even better!

Seat time is the key, not running an event for several months means I spend the first few runs getting back up to speed and I have been running the same car for the last 16 years. Good luck and have fun!
Old 04-14-2008, 08:51 AM
athaynes
Advanced

Awesome thanks for the replies. It's always good when everyone's opinion are the same. So the most bang for the buck at this point is me. I looked at the Evo school and it looks like I am going to miss the one here in VA and NC, but I am already signed up for this weekends race. Yesterday I spoke with a guy who was racing his C6 Z06 on Hoosier's and man was that guy fast. He had well over 5 seconds on me and the course was not fast so his 505hp didn't get used except for one short sweeper. He has also been in auto-x for a long time. He did watch me in my last 3 runs and gave me some good advice, so this weekend I am going to be adjusting the tire pressure and working on technique. Thanks again, is it sunday yet?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

You can run the DOT legal race tires but not full on race tires (assuming your local regs don't differ).
Auto-x is more about learning a course (by walking it more than once)real quick and knowing the limits of your equipment. This is learned through lots of practice. Don't worry about buying anything except more seat time. You aren't near ready for any mods at this point. Normally, R compounds are only worth about 2-2.5 secs so until you really get good and start to want a trophy stick with the stock rubber and learn the car.
A slightly more agressive alignment may be of benefit after a season but really you just need seat time.
Slow-in-fast-out gives the best times and is really hard to do as a novice.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I can't agree more with the advice to leave the car alone. You might want to make sure the alignment is correct and the tire pressures are in the ball park, but don't do anything else in the beginning.

We all have a tendency to think if we spend more money we'll go faster. Just look at the money some guys spend on engine modifications, which are the least productive expenditure.

Dreve the car. Drive the car. Drive the car. The money you're thinking about spending on tires might be better spent on motel bills to run more events.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Wheel and Tire Performance Handbook

Get notified of new replies

To My first Auto-X

Quick Reply: My first Auto-X