Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First HPDE, Autox experience, couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First HPDE, Autox experience, couple questions

Hey guys,

BTW the first trailer run went quite well, thanks for the tips

Now I have another question, I am going to go up to Thunderhill for my first "track" event and have done a fair amount of AutoX with a mainly stock 01z (AR headers, Stinger, Tune). Suspension is all stock and car is lowered on stock bolts 3/4-7/8" front and rear.

I generally run Kuhmo V710's for my autox events, 275/40/17 front and 315/30/18 rear (30/35 can't recall) on OEM z06 rims. My question is do I run my Firestone Wideovals in stock sizes for my first event or run the V710's?

I have new ATE super blue en route for the brakes, rotors (Napa) have about 600 miles on them (10 miles of Autox) with stock z06 pads. Clutch fluid is Ranger refreshed regularly.

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have, I did do some searching but did not find anything specific on my tire question.

Thanks again
Fej
Old 04-14-2008, 01:40 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

You are going to love Thunderhill. I suppose most people will tell you to run the Firestones for your first track event, I ran T1Rs for quite a few, before you move up. But, you have at least some AutoX with your V710 so it's probably not as important for you as it was for me. I had a great time with my T1Rs and no matter which tire you decide on, if you do decide to go pick some daisies, there aren't too many spots at Thunderhill where you'll get in big trouble. Have fun!
Old 04-14-2008, 04:12 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

You might check with the people putting on the event.
many orginizations do not allow slicks for first timers.
your sort of in that class I'd want to take along both sets of tires just incase.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:17 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice guys, Looks like I will just plan on bringing up both sets of tires. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Fej
Old 04-15-2008, 06:52 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by fej
Thanks for the advice guys, Looks like I will just plan on bringing up both sets of tires. Any other advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Fej
Going into #2 be about 3/4 of the way towards the outside of the track at the start of it. The outside of #3 is really off camber, turn in hard and stay on the inside half. Going over #9 let her track to the left a bit as your adding the last of third gear. Post how it goes when you get home.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:26 PM
Canute
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a lot of autocross experience then you'll just end up thinking of it as a big autocross course .
You might try upgrading to better brake pads such as Hawks or Porterfields is the only thing I can think of.

Get notified of new replies

To First HPDE, Autox experience, couple questions

Quick Reply: First HPDE, Autox experience, couple questions