Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning questions for C5 T1 car

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:10 PM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning questions for C5 T1 car

I have been running T1 for several years and am considering a dyno tune now that the cats are gone. Are most guys going with a speed density tune and does this mean that the mass airflow sensor is no longer part of the engine mapping? Any downside to this approach?

Any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:07 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I've been told by everyone that the LS6 MAF is not a restriction at even 500hp, and tuning Speed Density is very tricky without extensive data aquisition and re-tuning. I'm not even sure it is legal in T1, but how would they know. You would have to keep the MAF on the car to be legal (I'm pretty sure), so what would the point really be????

Anyway, a dyno tune would most likely help, but it isn't rocket science. Get your AFR flat around 13:1, and run as much timing as you can on your track fuel (100 is what most run).
Old 04-14-2008, 08:38 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Dr. Roy, what you need to do is put a plate over your intake with a series of small holes drilled in it so you can regulate your airflow manually by varying how may holes are exposed for the air to pass through. That way you don't have to worry about any CPU failures and such. It really is the best way to make your car fast trust me. Try it at the race next month and you will see I don't lie.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:05 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Gee, I think Oli is a little biased here . I keep telling Roy that no one would notice if he dropped in an LS7..
Old 04-15-2008, 08:31 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Both the C5R and C6R run with MAF(s), granted they have all the technical help they need but there must be a reason. Your best results would be through data logging on 20 minute practice sessions. This way you would hit as many cells as possible in the PCM and a good tuner could then calibrate accordingly. If you go the dyno route, be sure they use a load bearing dyno (mustang type) as it will put more of a load on the engine.

Optimal tuning is using the engine under load...it is very hard to simulate the engine dynamics accelerating uphill under power and then going into an off camber turn, etc.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:32 AM
drbenne
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the MAF really is not a significant air flow restrictor, but was wondering if there is any advantage of a speed density tune. If not, then no sense on spending the extra dyno/tuning time and dollars.

Oli's suggestion sounds like the most cost effective and would satisfy my controlling personality, but usually both my hands and feet are busy trying to keep up with him.

Get notified of new replies

To Tuning questions for C5 T1 car

Quick Reply: Tuning questions for C5 T1 car