Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone here have experience driving a formula 1 race car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:57 AM
mark b
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default anyone here have experience driving a formula 1 race car?

It seems like they are very hard to drive because you have to go so fast in order for the tires to heat up and the brakes to work...if anyone has driven one or knows people who have,share your experience! Also are there schools that teach you how that are close to NY? not Skip Barber, but the real deal..thanks..
Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 AM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Just about everyone in this section has F1 experience.

I assume you're talking about open wheel car experience?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:20 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I steered a Stewart/Ford through the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum once while it was being put into position, does that count?

There used to be a place here in the states that had a couple of old Arrows cars, and for something like $8,000 you got 4-6 laps in a BMW M3, 4-6 laps in a star Mazda, 4-6 laps in an F3000 car and then 4 laps in the Arrows.

The assumption was that if you made it through driving the others, you could be given a chance at the F1 car.

I think what happened though was people kept spinning the car over curbs, breaking wings and such off - at $40,000 each. I don't think the program is still around. There might be such a program in Europe still however, I think I have seen ads in autosport.

That being said... If you haven't driven Skip Barber, or some other type of Formula car, or a fast twitchy GT car - I don't suggest you go climb into an F1 car. I have seen a video of a guy who bought a Jordan F1 car, and then proceded to rip all 4 corners and both wings off of the car in his first 100 feet driving it. It's hard to rip all 4 corners off of a formula car, much less all of them in 100 feet. The cars are twitchy, and they cover insane amounts of distance in an instant.

There are many formula-car schools out there that will more than overwhelm your senses if you haven't been in one. Skip Barber of course, Bertil Roos, Russell, etc. There are non-school experiences like the Andretti deal that let's you drive an Indy-Style car. For $15,000 + a crash deposit, I am sure you could even rent a Formula Atlantic.

Jon
(who also says wait a week and you might be able to pick up a DO01 for cheap)
Old 04-15-2008, 08:39 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

There is an old F1 Bennetton here in the SE. Has the track record at CMP and VIR ( 1:32 something )

You can rent if for a day. First question the owner askes is to see your FIA Licence.

No FIA C or better Lic, you cant rent the Bennetton.

So dont even bother to ask what the rental price is.

Some where around $20,000 for the day.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:32 AM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
There is an old F1 Bennetton here in the SE. Has the track record at CMP and VIR ( 1:32 something )

You can rent if for a day. First question the owner askes is to see your FIA Licence.

No FIA C or better Lic, you cant rent the Bennetton.

So dont even bother to ask what the rental price is.

Some where around $20,000 for the day.

$20,000 isn't bad at all, depending on how many laps you get. I know that a couple years ago a Formula Atlantic test (with the proper credentials, and the consideration that you might find funding for a season) was $15,000 with a top team.

I would also bet the above rental requires a crash-deposit. Considering a minor crash will be $60,000 I just don't see $20,000 covering any more than that.

Jon K
Old 04-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

Unless you have tons of racing (not HPDE) experience, you'd probably wreck the car. I'm not being a wise ***, 900 HP is hard to control in any car, especially hard in a lightweight, open wheel car.

I saw one run (private owner) at Laguna a couple of years ago. The guy had 3 people on the crew. It took 2 laptops connected just to start the car. Do you have this kind of cash to spend?

Even with race experience, getting into a formula car is stepping into a different world. I've seen experienced drivers get into one the first time and go "fast". Then they find out they're 4 - 5 seconds off of normal lap times. The speed in the corners is mindblowing compared to any other racecars except sports racers.

Go rent a Pro Formula Mazda, you'll get 240 horse in a 1200 lb car, sequential shift, shift without lift. You'll wet your pants.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:08 AM
mousecatcher
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mark b
Also are there schools that teach you how that are close to NY? not Skip Barber, but the real deal..thanks..
there aren't any F1 "schools" per se, at all. there are 2 F1 experience deals in .eu but none in the US that are really accessible (that i've heard of). which makes sense because F1 is not centered in the US. you only get 1 session in the F1 in 2-3 days. the rest of the time is building up to it.

russell is working on getting their F3 car working, if/when that happens you could take the russell class. however the car will be detuned to 200HP for the class.

still, if you haven't driven a formula car at all or have only a little experience, you will be overwhelmed. skip barber, russell, et al. teach you how to drive a formula car. i assume the technique is the same for F1, just everything happens faster.

Originally Posted by Bill Hetzel
Go rent a Pro Formula Mazda, you'll get 240 horse in a 1200 lb car, sequential shift, shift without lift. You'll wet your pants.

i think you can test a PFM for $5k (on the west coast anyway). if you don't already have formula car experience though, forget it (you won't even be "allowed"). you are much better off with a school anyway.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:14 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

The skill of Kimi Raikkonen, Hamilton, etc, is amazing. They are also 20 something and have been doing it all their lives.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:32 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Did anybody else see Top Gear last night?

Pretty intertaining segment on a nub (Richard) driving a world championship wining F1 car and then they had Lewis Hamilton drive there regular celebrity car and he was very fast in the wet and laughing about the car and being silly while driving it. Good to see he has a bit more personality than normally shown

Rick
Old 04-15-2008, 10:33 AM
OKsweetrides
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Operating a collected F1 car is a whole 'nother ball game. Proper starting procedure, paying for a professional pit crew, maintenance, the list goes on. There's the Ferrari F1 Cliente program which a group of very well heeled folks use.

Pro Formula Mazda is a lot of fun, as is Formula Mazda.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can't even imagine what an F1 ride would be like. I went back to the
Russell school 5 times and took the advanced racing class 4 times in the
f-Mazda's, say 150hp at full rev's. That is not a pro-Mazda, about 170hp
or a Star Mazda, a bit higher again. But at 1050#'s they are plenty quick.
As the instructors would keep telling me, to go faster I have to forget
about the G's I'm used to and remember that the grip and aero will keep
me on the tire patches, HA!, tell my butt that! Finally got into the 1:40's
while the quick kids were in low 1:40's. Within 4/5 sec's would have
been great, never got there. Those days cost me from just under $1k
to just over $1k per day and ended a year ago, multiple returns did get
some discounts.

Russell Racing now has the new BMW machines and as noted they are
detuned, just like the old Mazda's, for classes, and you work up to full
rev's during your classes. I just got the runoff's notice and noted that
the weekend was about $8k and the required testing days would add
another $2-3k. The school is now set up to cater to those that want
to make a career in racing and the very well healed enthusiast. I can
attest, anyone who drives with them will get value, and it is a real
thrill. But, when doing practice race starts with other yahoo's you do
begin to think about that damage waiver and the extra several $K you
might contribute to the weekend for someone else's bobble. It happens.
Randy
Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 AM
LS6Vette02
Racer

Check this out, there are three parts. Gives a pretty good perspective of what it's like driving an F1 car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7XRNJlGNCw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8N6bGOvkY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1IDXkFO7_k
Old 04-15-2008, 12:19 PM
racerjon1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
Check this out, there are three parts. Gives a pretty good perspective of what it's like driving an F1 car.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=s7XRNJlGNCw
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sb8N6bGOvkY
http://youtube.com/watch?v=f1IDXkFO7_k
Awesome. I think that really captures the feel of trying a new (and faster) racecar, and the nervousness, and anticipation that goes with it and then the "ah ****" feeling when you realize that it's a little ahead of you.

Jon
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

A friend of mine has a shop that helps prepare several old F1 cars. He gets to drive them ocasionally and says you never get used to the power and the handling. He is from a former Atlantic champion who also drove in the old IMSA series for both Huffaker and Comptech. He just says the cars are amazing to drive.

This is a picture of him at Infineon two years ago, he was on the pole and ran away with the race.

Larry
Old 04-15-2008, 05:06 PM
mark b
Burning Brakes

thanks for the replies...I found a school called Xperience, held at illinois,nevada and other tracks. one is for actual formula 1 driving lessons. it cost $3395. its on a formula 2000 and formula 1 car.. you get 7miles(4laps) and there is a video camara attached to the car to record your drive. has anyone done this? I think this would be an awesome opportunity just to get to drive one and have that experience. you only need a valid drivers license to sign up...

Last edited by mark b; 04-15-2008 at 05:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To anyone here have experience driving a formula 1 race car?

Quick Reply: anyone here have experience driving a formula 1 race car?