Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 ZO6 Shifter in a C-5

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:09 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default 08 ZO6 Shifter in a C-5

I know this subject has been beaten to death, and I have searched and read most of the posts on the subject.

The problem I am having with my 00FRC is shifting from 4th to 5th at speed. Sometime the shift is like cutting butter, sometimes it grinds as it hits reverse, and sometimes it goes into 3rd. Luckily when it went into 3rd I let the clutch out slowly and sensed the problem and re-shifted. Then if I can't get into 5th, I go to 6th for the rest of the straight a way. Not the hottest ticket. I will be running at Sebring May
24-25th, and I know I will need 5th gear before the end of the straight before turn 17.

I don't care about light ling fast shifts I am not a drag racer. I really don't even care if I have a short throw. I had a MGW shifter in my Cobra and extended the handle up and back 4 inches. Yes a longer throw but put the handle closer to the wheel, and the leverage of the longer handle made shifting easier.

Ok, so much for background. Base on what I have read here I have ordered a 08 zo6 shifter from Gene Culley. I understand I will receive the shifter and the mechanism that attach's the shifter to the trans shifting rod. From what I have read seems most people remove the shifter from the mechanism and install it in there old mechanics.

Now this seems like an easy way to go, but would I be loosing anything by taking this shortcut.

My shifter has 83k miles on it, I have to think there has been some wear on the mechanism (and the trans in general), that the new mechanism would help correct.

So what's the opinion of the form, replace the entire thing or not? And will performing the "washer" upgrade on the transmission help my 4-5 mis shifts.
Thanks,

Jay B
Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by jaybar
... Sometime the shift is like cutting butter, sometimes it grinds as it hits reverse, and sometimes it goes into 3rd. ...
I have ordered a 08 zo6 shifter from Gene Culley. I understand I will receive the shifter and the mechanism that attach's the shifter to the trans shifting rod. From what I have read seems most people remove the shifter from the mechanism and install it in there old mechanics.

Now this seems like an easy way to go, but would I be losing anything by taking this shortcut.

My shifter has 83k miles on it, I have to think there has been some wear on the mechanism (and the trans in general), that the new mechanism would help correct.

So what's the opinion of the form, replace the entire thing or not? And will performing the "washer" upgrade on the transmission help my 4-5 mis shifts.
Thanks,
Jay B
Hopefully Don (DWJZ06) will check in here, as he did the wrenching on my car ... we replaced the whole assembly; bolting new assembly straight in. (never considered discarding new parts in favor of old ...)
Don has the "washer" upgrade; I do not. Mine feels more "gated" than his. I prefer mine.
Suggest bolting it in, screwing the **** on and test driving it before re-installing the console. Mine is VERY close to needing adjustment, as I have a hard time going into 1st at times.
If you're grinding reverse, possibly the reverse lock-out solenoid is bad?
You'll need a short boot as well ... got mine from Vette Essentials.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:09 PM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2000 FRC and installed the C6Z06 shifter last summer. It just bolts in very Quick And I kept the C5 boot. You just have to adjust it properly. It works great.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by Lan.Jet
I have a 2000 FRC and installed the C6Z06 shifter last summer. It just bolts in very Quick And I kept the C5 boot. You just have to adjust it properly. It works great.
When you say "went in quickly" did you install the entire assembly or just the shifter handle?
Old 04-16-2008, 06:50 AM
Lan.Jet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say "went in quickly" did you install the entire assembly or just the shifter handle?
The entire assembly. It takes me about 15 min to remove the console cover and bolt the shifter in. I had to do this many times last year at the NCM VIR event. I had a clutch installed the week before and they broke the shifter mount so the adjustment would never stay. Just make sure when you install it to lock the adjustment pin on the shifter then align the notch on the shaft. There should be no tension on the shaft
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 AM
jaybar
Racer

I know an aftermarket shifter would come with instructions. But on a GM part I assume they think the tech knows how to install it or has the correct instructions.

SO...Is there a place on a forum that would have instructions or illustrations.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11

See post # 3 here for link to installation instruction with pics:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...r+installation
More discussion on locking pin here:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...r+installation
Old 04-27-2008, 04:40 PM
jaybar
Racer

Got my c-6 zo6 shifter from Gene Culley. After checking the references on this forum I dove into the project. I have had the console apart before so It went quickly. The whole job took about one hour give or take. I did some other chores (shift light )while the dash panel was off.

Bottom line, it feels better. Not night and day but better. Still don't like the 4th - 5th shift, but in playing around I found that a double clutch puts in into 5th cleanly every time.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Got my c-6 zo6 shifter from Gene Culley. After checking the references on this forum I dove into the project. I have had the console apart before so It went quickly. The whole job took about one hour give or take. I did some other chores (shift light )while the dash panel was off.

Bottom line, it feels better. Not night and day but better. Still don't like the 4th - 5th shift, but in playing around I found that a double clutch puts in into 5th cleanly every time.
^^Not sure if you know about the detente bolt issue with the tranny. The C5s shifter rod linkage has a spring loaded bolt where the rod bolts into the transmission. At the end of the bolt, there is a spring loaded ball. It is too stiff making the shifting much harder than it should be. You can reduce the spring pressure by putting a couple of washers there. Add a little silicone to prevent leaks. I think the washers are 22mm but not sure. Lots of people have done this mod and really like the results.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:05 PM
jaybar
Racer

I am aware or the anti-venom mod. I may try it but the comments seems to be that it takes out the "notchiness" feeling. I think I want the feeling of the "H" pattern. I don't want speed shifting I want precise shifts.

Get notified of new replies

To 08 ZO6 Shifter in a C-5

Quick Reply: 08 ZO6 Shifter in a C-5