Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sway Bars vs. Shocks which has the most bang for the buck on a C6

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 05:21 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Sway Bars vs. Shocks which has the most bang for the buck on a C6

I have a C6 with the Z51 performance package looking to improve handling in Autocross and some HPDE events. My question is which upgrade would improve handling more. I am running R compound tires if that matters.

1. Upgrading to heavier/adjustable sway bars?
2. Upgrading to stiffer shocks maybe even adjustabel ones?

Can't afford both at this time just wondering which would be the best option they are both about the same cost to upgrade.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How are you stock shocks now?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:25 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Are you running a fairly aggressive alignment or street setup?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:33 PM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor
Default Options from Pfadt

Great question! It depends on which AX class you are running in.

If you are running in SS then I would suggest you get a set of adjustable shocks. Pfadt Race Engineering has just developed a Sport Shock that is tailored for the Super Stock and other classes where you are not allowed to move to a coil over package.

After the shock, I would suggest our SS specific front sway bar that is better matched to the factory rear bar and also gives you adjustable rate.

If you are running in one of the Street Prepared, Prepared, Street Modified classes then I would suggest a Competition Sway Bars set. These feature a front and rear bar that are much stiffer then the factory and are also adjustable. These will allow you to transition from corner to corner much faster because, the car will not take as long to settle.

Please give us a call if you have any questions!
Old 04-15-2008, 06:18 PM
vettejockey
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I am running an agressive alignment for the track currently. In my class we run agaist Z06's and Vipers running bigger rubber, bigger breaks , more HP, and stiffer suspention. Lotus's with less weight and pretty good suspension set ups. The HP is not the issue I think it is handling. Being able to corner better and retaining momentume to stay in the power band.

I am trying to make the gap less it is hard but I am sure it can be done. It is just figuring out the best combination.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are lots of sway bar/shock choices for a C5/6 that won't break the bank. You can try to find some used C6Z06 sways for cheap and use the rest of the money for a good set of shocks. Or...you can go with a set of Bilstein's for under $300 a set and Addco sways for around $400 per set...all new. The Addco bars are stiffer than Z06, but just a few MM less than T1, but are 1/2 the price of say T1 or competing bars. There are people selling C6Z06 sways and shocks all the time on the C6 parts forum. They are slightly stiffer than Z51, but less stiff than T1.

Search the forums for used parts first if money is an issue.

Speaking of used parts...I have a complete C6Z06 suspension kit that I am trying to get rid off. I am asking $1000, but that includes everything...both leaf springs, matching shocks, sways, bushings and endlinks, + required hardware.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Shocks first. Koni 3013 or similar alternatives. One bummer is the total shock length must be at least the same (or more) ruling out some nice options to be legal for SCCA SS. Yes they cost more than say the Bilsteins, you will have to decide if its worth it. I thought it was and I don't regret my choice.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:52 AM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I mostly track rather than autox these days, but I went through a bunch of swaybar combinations and ended up back as stock. I also had a set of KONI 3013Sports on the car for a while and wasn't too happy/impressed with them.

Personally, I think a set of good shocks will probably make the biggest difference, especially adjustable... but you will find people who suggest a big front bar (ADDCO, Hotchkis, Pfadt are options there).

FWIW, C6Z bars won't do anything but give you a bigger rear bar which is probably the last thing you want for autox --- the C6 Z51 and C6Z front bar are one in the same.

As for springs, the C6Z is 531#/782# and C6 Z51 is 526#/645# so the difference isn't huge there.

Look around a see who likes what... there are tonnes of shock options but if you want a good double adjustable shock you're looking at a pretty chunk of change.

I'm loving my HardbarUSA Penske 8100 DA with dual-rate coilover springs... streetable, and loves to attack the corners, can't wait to hit the track with them... (the Pfadt poly bushings are a very nice addition, too!)
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Originally Posted by gkmccready
I also had a set of KONI 3013Sports on the car for a while and wasn't too happy/impressed with them.
Interesting as I hear this more often than I would expect. One thing about them is the adjustment range is wider than the usable range. Full stiff at either end is WAY too much and one sweep (1/4 turn) makes a big difference especially at the stiffer end of the adjustment range. I use these at time trials, open lapping, and autocross and have rarely wished to adjust low speed compression. I wonder if there are certain features on other tracks I dont experience highlighting a weakness.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 PM
johnparkercom
Intermediate

bump
Old 04-18-2008, 11:33 PM
ProgGod
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want some z06 sway bars cheap, I'll sell you a set. Just took some off a brand new car. If you want the bad boy swaybars highly recommend the competition pfadts. They are da bomb!
Old 04-19-2008, 08:39 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Just because you have adjustable shocks and adjustable sway bars don't assume you're going to be faster. Adjustable means you can also adjust yourself right out of the ballpark.

Going to adjustable components means you need to do a lot of testing. You can't just install this stuff and assume you're going to be faster. It takes time. The more adjustments you can make the more testing you have to do.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Corvette C5 Performance Projects: 1997-2004
Old 04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Going to adjustable components means you need to do a lot of testing. You can't just install this stuff and assume you're going to be faster. It takes time. The more adjustments you can make the more testing you have to do.

Richard Newton

Autocross Performance Handbook

Corvette C5 Performance Projects: 1997-2004
This is very true. My buddy and I almost have all the same parts. He does all the testing and I don't. Guess who's car is faster? His car is at least 1 second faster on a autocross track. It happens every time I drive his car.

Steve
Old 04-19-2008, 09:47 AM
asp04
Advanced

Unless you are a national level autocrosser, the benefits of new shocks are fairly minute. Tires and alignment are the big improvements to a SS car. ASP is a differant story, SM2 is a differant book. Save your money on the shocks and spend it on one of the serious autox schools and you will probably end up faster.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Just because you have adjustable shocks and adjustable sway bars don't assume you're going to be faster. Adjustable means you can also adjust yourself right out of the ballpark.

Ya know, people keep saying this... over and over again people get told adjustable is bad, you'll have to test forever and you'll never get it right without infinite testing.

So what happens when you get yourself a non-adjustable component that's not properly matched to your driving style, or something else on the car? Throw it away? Drive around the mismatch? Go buy something else? Wish you'd bought something adjustable?

Adjustable just means you have the option of adjusting; it doesn't mean you have to adjust. You can just as easily set and forget with adjustable components and buying a non-adjustable piece and then you're forced to install and forget.

I agree adjustable by definition won't make you faster, but it can save you money and a lot of the time the good adjustable components are higher quality parts...
Old 04-19-2008, 03:59 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
This is very true. My buddy and I almost have all the same parts. He does all the testing and I don't. Guess who's car is faster? His car is at least 1 second faster on a autocross track. It happens every time I drive his car.

Steve
Use your buddy's settings on your car. If he's a competitor he probably won't give up the info but if he's your friend I'm sure he'll hook you up.

Dog
Old 04-20-2008, 01:25 AM
johnparkercom
Intermediate

Originally Posted by asp04
Unless you are a national level autocrosser, the benefits of new shocks are fairly minute. Tires and alignment are the big improvements to a SS car. ASP is a differant story, SM2 is a differant book. Save your money on the shocks and spend it on one of the serious autox schools and you will probably end up faster.
Good Grief!, let's just assume "rjung" can drive as well as anyone, that he took all the Evolution schools AND read Mr Newton's driving book... ok? So we can eliminate all those "it's the nut behind the wheel" answers & perhaps get to some consensus to his question, which I believe was: What might potentially make the CAR faster, presuming he picked only ONE for his Z51 C6, shocks? or sways? Assume he could adjust them properly, and presume he could change either & be legal for his class (ie: he's willing to run ASP)

Get notified of new replies

To Sway Bars vs. Shocks which has the most bang for the buck on a C6

Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 AM
ProgGod
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnparkercom
Good Grief!, let's just assume "rjung" can drive as well as anyone, that he took all the Evolution schools AND read Mr Newton's driving book... ok? So we can eliminate all those "it's the nut behind the wheel" answers & perhaps get to some consensus to his question, which I believe was: What might potentially make the CAR faster, presuming he picked only ONE for his Z51 C6, shocks? or sways? Assume he could adjust them properly, and presume he could change either & be legal for his class (ie: he's willing to run ASP)
i would say it honestly depends on his budget. If you have 2k+ to burn go with coilovers. 1k go with competition sways.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:32 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

For the money. first get......Koni FSD's I fricken love them!

then get sway bars!

But sounds like you have $ so go coil overs with Hotchkiss bars and then your God!

Last edited by rustyguns; 04-20-2008 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

I say just drive better and save your money, T1 Bars and a fresh set of GM shocks work very well on a race track. Auto X and track set up is very different.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars vs. Shocks which has the most bang for the buck on a C6