Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daily Driving stopping power

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Daily Driving stopping power

I have a 1999 C5 Auto w/ a twin turbo kit. The TT does ad some added weight to the front of the car.

What are some options to upgrade the stock brake setup?

Through research I've learned that SS lines, fluid, and better pads would make quite a big difference.

I have a set of CCW wheels but I'm uncertain of the amount of room required for a BBK.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:17 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

What kind of driving are you doing???? Street only??? If so, just put some good fluid and pads on. You should not be generating enough heat on the street (and street tires) to need a BBK. I'm pretty sure you would need new wheels to clear a real brake kit anyway.

Try Synpower fluid and a set of HP+ hawk pads.....should be more than enough to stop you from any speed many, many times back to back.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Yes - just street performance. I can def feel the added weight in the front of the car from the twin turbo setup and 19'' wheels on the four corners.

I'll try your recommendation along with some SS lines as well.

Which series pads are recommended?

I'm also considering moving to a lighter wheel combo but I've read the CCW are pretty light even in the 19 arrangement (not running runflats).
Old 04-16-2008, 10:37 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I'll second David's suggestions. Hawk HP+ brake pads will make a big difference.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:45 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Farmer stated in the post above the HP+ pads are good pads. Damn near ANY pad will work for street use. As long as they have the ability to activate the ABS you're good to go. The pads aren't the limiting factor, it's the tires.

Also, SS lines, in my and many others opinion feel they are a waste of money. I subject my car to heavy track use with DOT-R tires and race pads and don't run SS lines. Farmer, a "real" racer uses OEM rubber lines for his race cars seeing only track usage and is not a fsubscriber to the SS line myth. I've also read MANY threads on problems caused by the SS on sensors and leakage at the fittings.

Rick
Old 04-16-2008, 11:00 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll agree w/ the others here. Just some good street or street/track combo pads w/ good initial bite should be fine. And driving on the street only, you won't-- or shouldn't-- be getting anywhere near the limits of the pads.

One note about the HP+ pads tho-- they are a bit noisy, so that can be annoying. I found pretty good street performance w/o the noise w/ their "lesser" brother, the HPS. Also, I believe the stock Z06 pads have pretty good bite, although they are somewhat dusty.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:02 PM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good pads, SS lines and good fluid stop my race car pretty good! I'd be all over a big brake kit if I was endurance racing but even in "sprint" races the brakes will last, most of the time at least.

As for the myth that SS lines are better, well, Ive never had a code from a brake line. I suspect those that get codes have installed a sub par kit or have somehow botched the install. Mine don't leak either. The pedal feel is better, IMHO.

Joe
Old 04-17-2008, 12:18 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
What kind of driving are you doing???? Street only??? If so, just put some good fluid and pads on. You should not be generating enough heat on the street (and street tires) to need a BBK. I'm pretty sure you would need new wheels to clear a real brake kit anyway.

Try Synpower fluid and a set of HP+ hawk pads.....should be more than enough to stop you from any speed many, many times back to back.

I have a '99 coupe. I run the same pads with Goodrich lines. I also added a DRM bias spring ($12.95) to add a little more rear brake. It made a big difference. With the stock shocks I had some problems with nose dive, so you might consider upgrading shocks and the front spring. This effects weight transfer which effects stopping distance.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:26 PM
valdeztke
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by geerookie

I have a '99 coupe. I run the same pads with Goodrich lines. I also added a DRM bias spring ($12.95) to add a little more rear brake. It made a big difference. With the stock shocks I had some problems with nose dive, so you might consider upgrading shocks and the front spring. This effects weight transfer which effects stopping distance.
What is the recommended shock for a street application? (something a bit cheaper than Penske)
Old 04-17-2008, 02:29 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

I'm not so sure I think shocks are the main player in the nose diving under braking. Shocks handle bumps and other transients, not something steady state like the nose taking a dive.

I also put in a DRM bias spring, and it did make a big difference on balancing the front and rear brakes. I'm running '04 Z06 shocks and have been very happy to date.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 04-17-2008, 03:30 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Shocks control the rate at which the weight transfers in a vehicle. Koni FSD shocks have a good all around ride and worked well for me. My car is lowered about 1 1/2". I haven't used the '04 Z06 shocks but have heard good and bad about their performance.
I just switched to Pfadt Coilovers about a week ago and they work awesome!
I have my Koni's for sale if your interested. They have about 4k miles on them. Send me a PM.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Personally for the street I would go with the Z06 pads and a make sure you do a fluid change.

BBK will most likely NOT work with your CCWs. I sold my 505a to fit my Wilwood BBK with 13in rotors. I had T10s custom made by CCW to fit my application.

And I am sure that everyone will agree that tire grip is the main ingredient to stopping. If your tires do not grip than you are not going to stop no matter what brakes you have.

Get notified of new replies

To Daily Driving stopping power

Quick Reply: Daily Driving stopping power