Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Over1g-Racing update!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 12:33 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Over1g-Racing update!!

It's been a busy couple of months for Rhonda and I, but things are slowly coming together. A few weeks ago we picked up the car from Phoenix ( who did a wonderful job making her right again ) and set out to slowly break everything back in, as well as lay out the race season and work on a new look for the car. Things are coming along well, but it has not been without hurdles.

When I first went out on a drive the car immediately threw a code. My plan to break everything in slowly was a good move because it gave me time to sort issues out that I knew would crop up. I slapped a "spare" tag on the car and did 5 miles at a time around the local roads just to heat cycle all the new parts. After some odds and end leaks and the codes all gone, it was time to set up a track day for some heavier use.

2 weeks ago April 7th, I had the luck of getting invited to instruct with a local Mercedes Benz club ( wonderful club BTW ) at my home track, Summit Point. A perfect chance for me to teach, get out on the new pavement before the National race this year, and just get in the seat. It's been almost 7 months since Pocono, no seat time period. The thoughts have been in my head about how I would feel back in the seat after the accident. Unloaded the car, grabbed a student and proceeded on the first session at not much more than street speeds anyway, cold wet track with slicks was actually good for me to ease into things. The car felt great, but I didn't. No lie, I was a bit nervous. That lasted 3 minutes when the car slid tail out and the big grin came back. At that moment I knew one accident wasn't going to stop me!!

Second session out after working with my student I turned up the heat on old number 86, to about 70 percent. The car was working well and all my worries of it not working well began to fade. Third session would be my last, between street and track I had already accumulated about 120 miles and this last session would tell me everything I needed to know. It would also let me focus the last portion of the day with my students. It was in this session that I hit a snag. I was at about 85%, on old tires so my laps were likely in the 1:21-1:22 range, not bad, but still hard enough to find an issue. After about 15 minutes I picked up a strange vibration in the right rear. As I pulled into the hot pits I heard a metallic grinding sound. To me, it sounded like metal dragging. When I looked under the right rear, I noticed axle grease everywhere. Seems as though my new axle ( replaced because that was the side of the impact ) had already given up the ghost. Oh well, if that was the only problem, that would be easy. It wasn't. When I got home I found out why my axle failed and the grinding noise was not what I thought it was. I pull the wheel off to find my hard brake line wrapped around the axle like a twizzler!!! What tha??? After some forensics I came to a conclusion that I NEED everyone to heed. Do NOT use axles that do not have OEM boots on them. The axle I purchased was not an OEM part, it was an auto parts store part. Until put side by side with my left side still OEM axle the difference was not apparent, but there is a difference. The boots on the OEM axle are very rigid, like a cardboard accordian. The boots on the non OEM axle, more like a rubber glove folded up. Very soft, very pliable. What happened was 2 fold. Both boots, while not being rigid, ballooned up under the spinning force and failed. My outer boot actually ballooned up enough that it ripped itself open because it was rubbing the lower shock mount. It rubbed the paint completely off. Grease everywhere. The inner boot ballooned so much it rubbed the paint off of the frame directly above it while grabbing the hard brake line and DRAGGING it over and around the axle. Amazingly enough the hard line held, but it is a mangled mess. All this carnage due to crappy soft boots. Under normal use this axle may have been great on a daily driver forever, but please, if you track your car DO NOT use an axle unless it is OEM, and has the stiff boot on it.

I'm waiting on the new axle, that was easy. The brake line was alot harder until Pfadt Race Engineering ( thanks Josh ) came to the rescue and found one in less than a day. When the parts get here it should be an easy fix. With those two things fixed and some minor leaks to sort out the car should be ready for the New Hampshire National in less than 3 weeks.

#86 is going to look a little different this year, I've finished the design and am getting the car labeled and sorted out as I type. It's not a huge change, but something I think the Corvette community and all that have helped me out after the accident will appreciate. It's a tribute to the car and all of you for helping me race.

As soon as the car is ready and has the facelift, pictures will be posted. With the first race around the corner I am excited and nervous at the same time. Feels like I am starting over again!! More to come!

Joe
Old 04-19-2008, 01:00 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Joe, thanks for the update and good information. How many evenings do you eat supper WITHOUT grease under your fingernails nowdays?
Old 04-19-2008, 05:53 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to hear that both you and the car are sorted out!
It is hard to come back after something like Pocono--Good for you!

Andy
Old 04-19-2008, 08:11 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Way to go, Joe. Good luck in your racing this year.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-19-2008, 08:44 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

Good luck, let me know if I can help.
Gary
Old 04-19-2008, 09:48 AM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Right on Joe! Good update, and I look forward to meeting you out at some track this year!
Old 04-19-2008, 06:51 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Thanks for the update Joe and good luck this season.

Wish I could say that I'm getting as much track time as you, but zero so far this year and not expected to change anytime soon. My plans to do some regionals this spring totally fell apart due to work schedule and weather (it is actually snowing at my house in the Puget Sound again today). There is a double regional here in Bremerton WA next weekend, but I'll be working. Luckily (for me), the forecast is for low 40s and 95% of rain so I won't be missing a beautiful track weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to get to some regionals and DEs this fall.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 04-20-2008, 04:52 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Awesome Joe, I cant wait to see the new colors for this year.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM
0JoshS
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '08
Autocross & Roadrace Forum Sponsor

I have seen the axle boot problem before, though not one that ate a brake line. I have seen them balloon up and then tear. One easy fix is to loosely secure a zip tie in the "valley" of the boot, to keep it from expanding at high speeds.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:24 PM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks for the update, Joe ...
Hopefully you're fresh out of bad luck for the rest of the year ...
Ah! zip ties ... the "bailing wire" of the track rat ...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:33 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
astock165
Burning Brakes

Hey Joe, good to see the update.

If you're coming up to NHIS make sure to let me know, I'll be there to help you out.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:15 AM
JMB92
Advanced

Good Luck Joe! See you at Watkins Glen!
Old 04-23-2008, 08:25 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by JoshS
I have seen the axle boot problem before, though not one that ate a brake line. I have seen them balloon up and then tear. One easy fix is to loosely secure a zip tie in the "valley" of the boot, to keep it from expanding at high speeds.
Good tip! I am sure though, some SCCA Tech person will complain about it!

Get notified of new replies

To Over1g-Racing update!!

Quick Reply: Over1g-Racing update!!