Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overnight with the trailer....

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:06 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Default Overnight with the trailer....

I'll be going to Watkins Glen next week and will be staying overnight and trailing my car in an open trailer....what's the best way to secure things for the overnight?.....

I'll have a set of wheels in the back of my pickup that I assume I can chain together....they can all lay flat as to not be seen unless you walk up to the vehicle...

also, I would think it is best to leave the trailer attached to my Dodge overnight (I can take off the trailer device you use when it's not attached as well).....also, should I unload my car as well or is it OK to leave it on?....I'm going to try to just stay at the hotel once I get there to make things easier....

sorry for all the questions but this is my first time trailing my vehicle so I want to make sure I have everything covered....
Old 04-20-2008, 09:14 PM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Leave the car on the trailer. Put a lock on the trailer tongue and on the hitch pin, and a big chain with a padlock around the leaf spring and through the trailer wheel.

For securing wheels in the bed - chain them to the truck through the stake pockets.

Last edited by brenb; 04-20-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:15 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

If WGI is like any other track then your stuff will be safer at the track unattended than it would be in the back of your truck at the hotel. Most tracks let you in and drop your trailer the night before. Go in, unload, set up, and drive tow vehicle back to hotel. Heck, I leave my tool boxes, tires, and everything out at the track. I cover them up to protect them from the elements but never have an issue with thievery. Buy a coupler lock for you trailer and call it good. It is generallya big family type community at the track. Of course I am talking about places like VIR and Barber not in the criminally insane northeast

Bob
Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Kanmer
If WGI is like any other track then your stuff will be safer at the track unattended than it would be in the back of your truck at the hotel. Most tracks let you in and drop your trailer the night before. Go in, unload, set up, and drive tow vehicle back to hotel. Heck, I leave my tool boxes, tires, and everything out at the track. I cover them up to protect them from the elements but never have an issue with thievery. Buy a coupler lock for you trailer and call it good. It is generallya big family type community at the track. Of course I am talking about places like VIR and Barber not in the criminally insane northeast

Bob
Watkins Glen is just like you described. They will let you into the garage area the night before the event. (I will be there tomorrow but I'm about a hour and a half from the track right now and will drive down first thing in the morning.)
Old 04-20-2008, 10:36 PM
mwvettec5
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kanmer
If WGI is like any other track then your stuff will be safer at the track unattended than it would be in the back of your truck at the hotel. Most tracks let you in and drop your trailer the night before. Go in, unload, set up, and drive tow vehicle back to hotel. Heck, I leave my tool boxes, tires, and everything out at the track. I cover them up to protect them from the elements but never have an issue with thievery. Buy a coupler lock for you trailer and call it good. It is generallya big family type community at the track.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:27 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Watkins Glen is just like you described. They will let you into the garage area the night before the event. (I will be there tomorrow but I'm about a hour and a half from the track right now and will drive down first thing in the morning.)
just called WGI and due to insurance regulations they will not allow cars into the paddock area until the day of the event....
Old 04-21-2008, 09:58 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

As mentioned, park the trailer attached to the tow vehicle, under lights, wedged in somehow, with maybe a friend's vehicle parked so as to block your entire train in. Locks on hitch pin and hitch, with the wheels chained as described. If possible, stay at a hotel where other racers stay (and park their rigs). Believe me, racers look out their window at all hours of the night. In addition to chaining up wheels in the truck bed, cover tightly with a tarp. Theives usually won't steal what they cannot see. Something I was considering was a solar security light (motion sensor) mounted on the tire rack. This would be useful in a dark or lighted parking lot. Thieves would not know if an alarm had been sent to your receiver when the light comes on.
We have read on this forum that entire rigs can disappear, meaning tow vehicles with trailers and racers.
Any other tips that could help?
Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

12 gauge
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
As mentioned, park the trailer attached to the tow vehicle, under lights, wedged in somehow, with maybe a friend's vehicle parked so as to block your entire train in. Locks on hitch pin and hitch, with the wheels chained as described. If possible, stay at a hotel where other racers stay (and park their rigs). Believe me, racers look out their window at all hours of the night. In addition to chaining up wheels in the truck bed, cover tightly with a tarp. Theives usually won't steal what they cannot see. Something I was considering was a solar security light (motion sensor) mounted on the tire rack. This would be useful in a dark or lighted parking lot. Thieves would not know if an alarm had been sent to your receiver when the light comes on.
We have read on this forum that entire rigs can disappear, meaning tow vehicles with trailers and racers.
Any other tips that could help?

those are good suggestions....I'll probably chain both sets of wheels on the trailer....I'll be a a larger hotel in the area with a good parking lot so hopefully that will help as well....just being a bit over paranoid but this is my first time doing it....
Old 04-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Bill Hetzel
Pro

For many years I thought things were safe at the track because of the racing community. It's not the racers or their familys, it's the spectators or "friends" of the racers that come in only once in a while.
I even lock up the tow vechile in the middle of the day after someone ripped off an expensive pair of sunglasses.
Thieves broke into Timing & Scoring at Laguna, ripped off all the laptops, not once but twice.
I stay at the track. I have a very comfortable setup in an enclosed trailer.

If you have a removable steering wheel, lock it up.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:40 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I have been to WGI a ton of times and I think it has one of the best after hours security around, but dont be foolish in thinking that everything is ok.

I disconnect my trailer so we have a vehicle to get around with after hours, but I do use a trailer hitch lock so that someone woul dhave to make alot of noise to take the trailer. My wheels are locked on my tire rack and all of my trailer compartments are locked.

Honestly I do trust that nothing is going to happen, but at the same time I do not want to invite trouble by having things left open or in plain sight. Even people that are mostly honest might find it hard to walk pass a digital camera just sitting out there.....

BTW - I will be at WGI Monday and Tuesday with SCDA. If you are going to the same event come over and say hi. 2001 MY corvette with East Coast Supercharging Banner - number 67...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I have been to WGI a ton of times and I think it has one of the best after hours security around, but dont be foolish in thinking that everything is ok.

I disconnect my trailer so we have a vehicle to get around with after hours, but I do use a trailer hitch lock so that someone woul dhave to make alot of noise to take the trailer. My wheels are locked on my tire rack and all of my trailer compartments are locked.

Honestly I do trust that nothing is going to happen, but at the same time I do not want to invite trouble by having things left open or in plain sight. Even people that are mostly honest might find it hard to walk pass a digital camera just sitting out there.....

BTW - I will be at WGI Monday and Tuesday with SCDA. If you are going to the same event come over and say hi. 2001 MY corvette with East Coast Supercharging Banner - number 67...

I'll be there on Mon with scda as well....I'll be sure to say hello!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by gilly6993
those are good suggestions....I'll probably chain both sets of wheels on the trailer....I'll be a a larger hotel in the area with a good parking lot so hopefully that will help as well....just being a bit over paranoid but this is my first time doing it....
I have stayed at several hotels in the Watkins Glen area and have just locked my truck, the hitch and the car on the trailer. Depending on which unit you are staying at the truck and trailer may only be a couple feet from your bed. Not sure which hotel you are at but there aren't many large ones if any. Just chain your wheels in the truck bed. When you get to the track you can detach the trailer, use a hitch lock and chain things to the trailer. Somebody may be able to get into the facility at night but I don't know if they could tow anything out of the track without getting caught. They wouldn't get by Gate 2 but some of the gates on the back roads may not be so hard to get through. Biggest thing to your advantage is the track is sort of in the wilderness and a lot of people who live in the area don't bother to lock their doors at night.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Overnight with the trailer....

Quick Reply: Overnight with the trailer....