Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Viper Spin at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:24 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Viper Spin at Road Atlanta

May have been posted before but could not find it...

You will see a Viper make a pass After a Corvette make the same pass then spin trying to avoid the Vett..... did the viper get the pass by signal and take the pass too late? I think he was just doing everything to avoid the Corvette... Thoughts on what he did wrong?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=g8pRkhnJ9Eg&feature=related
Old 04-20-2008, 09:35 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

I would say both were at fault....the Viper more so but at on a HPDE I would never have made that pass that the Corvette did with so little room left at those speeds.

I don't race but just with track days that move isn't worth it.

The Viper....he very well could have t-boned the Vette, and worse yet taken out the car behind.

I watched the video again....the Vette had more room than I thought but still pretty late to get back on the line after the pass...racing would be one thing but with others on the track still wouldn't have done it.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-20-2008 at 09:38 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:18 PM
RUN4CVR
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

This was posted elsewhere and there was a description of the DE by the driver who took the video.....basically said the Viper drive was irresponsible and reckless all day long. Hence the clapping and cheering after the Viper went off.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:24 PM
L98Terror
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W. Detroit Events Coordinator
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VII Autocross Champ

Hands down the Viper, the Vette made and completed the pass before the braking zone, the Viper on the other hand did not and was going in way to hot and wasn't in control of his car.

The guy in the car that made the tape was a total tool.

During a HPDE you need to conplete the pass before the braking zone.

Was that a second Viper Silver behind the first? I ran a NASA event down at CMP and there were two silver vipers running TT with me and I would say they were rather aggressive, I was told one of them hit a wall at Road Atlanta but that would have been after 12/06 I wonder if there's a connection.

Last edited by L98Terror; 04-20-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 PM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

The C5 looked to get back in line and brake but at DE's I tend to be more cautious when in traffic....if I'm out by myself no problem but I've had more than one adventurous driver follow me deep into the corner at Grattan on the straightaway and suddenly realize "Hey my car is just as fast as that Corvette but doesn't seem to be slowing down as fast".

Guy in the Viper is lucky to be alive, that could have turned out a lot worse.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:49 PM
zaphodbebullbrox
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper attack

hers another viper spin

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yb8gKQJQoN4
Old 04-20-2008, 11:00 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

it looks to me like the viper tried to make the pass too late, realized there was no room and lost control.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Viper was the idiot came up on the Vette to fast hit the brakes and lifted the rear and panicked.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-21-2008 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:14 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by levettegrl
it looks to me like the viper tried to make the pass too late, realized there was no room and lost control.
Originally Posted by John Shiels
Viper was the idiot came up on the Vette to fast hit the brakes and lifted the rear and panicked.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

for his own good he needs two or three wires removed to reduce number of firing cylinders. Needs one installed in his head as all cylinders are not firing there
Old 04-21-2008, 09:57 AM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by John Shiels
for his own good he needs two or three wires removed to reduce number of firing cylinders. Needs one installed in his head as all cylinders are not firing there
Old 04-21-2008, 11:25 AM
sleeper02Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We all make mistakes, we all get over agressive sometimes, and if you don't admit that you are lying to yourself. If someone, anyone at an HPDE is doing said things, it should be mentioned to event staff and dealt with. Bad point bys can cause as many problems as bad drivers, you just never know. I just don't agree with cheering and clapping when someone is eating or possibly eating a wall.

Joe
Old 04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06
We all make mistakes, we all get over agressive sometimes, and if you don't admit that you are lying to yourself. If someone, anyone at an HPDE is doing said things, it should be mentioned to event staff and dealt with. Bad point bys can cause as many problems as bad drivers, you just never know. I just don't agree with cheering and clapping when someone is eating or possibly eating a wall.

Joe
I am far from perfect and missed flag at LRP or other items through the years. If the guy was being an idiot all day and being warned I have seen some idiots at track events, those very few usually take themselves out luckliy. I have no pity if his car eats the wall. I would not want to see him get hurt in any case physically. He really looked like he nodded off in traffic and suddenly awoke to OMG Only the people at the event know if that was the case all day so only speculation on my part and a general feeling when those situations happen I am sure he is much wiser now in any case.

Guy rents a Mustang from Hertz and brings it to LRP ends up going up the hill backwards and smashing the quarter panel in. Shooting his mouth off all day to boot. Hot shoe with no shoes
Old 04-21-2008, 01:11 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I was actually there that day in my TA. This was the A class thru the Panoz school. They did not require hand signals to pass, and the A class could pass wherever they want. Those are 2 brothers with similar Vipers. They have been there every time I have been there. He didn't hurt his car, just got it dirty. As for what he was thinking -
Old 04-21-2008, 02:15 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

It just looked like a case of the "red mist" to me. A viper guy 100% intent on not letting that vette in front of him go and making a foolish move to not get held up by the camera car.

The vette seemed to be just making a moderately aggressive pass in an advanced group - no issue there. He probably braked a bit early since he was still off line, and the Viper guy was overly aggressive trying to brake like they were on-line.

I can understand being a bit happy to see this if another driver had made several dangerous moves around me over the course of a day. I wouldn't want to see him hurt, but if anyone attempts to wreck my car at an HPDE, I want it to be me.

Last edited by BQuicksilver; 04-21-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

He was thinking "It's my trophy!"
Old 04-21-2008, 04:01 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by waddisme
I was actually there that day in my TA. This was the A class thru the Panoz school. They did not require hand signals to pass, and the A class could pass wherever they want. Those are 2 brothers with similar Vipers. They have been there every time I have been there. He didn't hurt his car, just got it dirty. As for what he was thinking -
+1

But last I heard there were still point by's required (though not enforced) in group A.

Those two Viper guys were notorious for near crashes and finally one crash that they have not been back since. The Vipers were being supported by MTI, and oddly enough so was the Z06 (very cool guy), Gene (the guy in the vette) passed the viper on the preceeding lap, he was obviously faster (somewhere in the neighborhood or 4-5 seconds a lap, I was timing them), and the Viper guy was determined not to let him get away, it was a complete ego move, I watched the whole thing from trackside. And as mentioned he panicked and spun.

There was two of them that came together and each had their share of blunders, there was this incident, then the first day after repave when they were intense about not getting any fluids on the track, the viper catches on fire and while having flames coming out of the back of the car, and flags waving at him, he oiled all the way from 7 almost back to pit's right on line. . Then one of them hit the inside of the wall at turn 12 at NASA time trials a couple of weeks later, squashing the car to bits (he was ok). And we havent seen them since. This is three track days in a row essentially with this incident, the oil on the new track and the wreck, all from two guys who already had a reputation of wrecklessness, there are some other stories I've heard but cant remember, I was there for the three I'm talking about though (happened in 4 months time).

I'm not one to bash, but these guys need to take a step back, which from what I've heard, their wives hae removed their DE priveleges so they dont have choice. I was looking forward to running with them at one time, but all the incedents made me a bit leary.

Get notified of new replies

To Viper Spin at Road Atlanta

Old 04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
mikahb
Vetteless
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Pass by the Vette looks fine to me - not even particularly aggressive. The Viper guy was obviously driving way over his head (possibly with his eyes shut). But, credit him for not taking out the Vette, could have easily happened that way.

Biggest loser of the whole video is the dushbag taking the movie. I've seen guys lose it that probably deserved it, but would never clap and mock somebody - ESPECIALLY WHILE STILL DRIVING YOUR DAMN CAR ON THE DAMN TRACK!!!
Old 04-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that Viper guy forgot that turn 1 was coming up...very stupid move, and very lucky that he didn't hit another car, as you can easily be 125 plus in that area.

I got a big laugh at some of the comments on you tube, especially this one;

The Viper is possibly the worst handling car ever created and definitely the most difficult to handle on the limit(z06 not far behind). Horrifying, when you consider the amount of power the chassis has to deal with. Throw in a hillbilly speedracer and we have a potentially lethal combination. I'm guessing this is not the first or last time some tool in a Viper risks the lives of others on a racetrack. Stay safe.

Hell, I think the z06 is one of the easiest cars to drive out there!
Old 04-21-2008, 08:34 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper02Z06

Joe

I was the first car over the crest of the hill at T12 as the Viper was eating the wall. I had to dodge pieces of Viper and control my car. I sure did not clap and I was really happy to see he was OK. I wanted to pass them - but not that way! But yes they were reckless (but not wreckless) and over aggressive. I have not seen them around since...

Quick Reply: Viper Spin at Road Atlanta