Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keeping Cool

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Default Keeping Cool

I was thinking some of the coolers on my car
  • Dewitts radiator with EOC
  • T1 Tranny Cooler
  • Power Steering cooler
  • Rotor cooler - ECS Spindle ducts with DRM extentions

I guess they are working well together

30 min sessions at Pocono North oil temps were 240 high and coolant was 212 high

T1 tranny cooler - never had any issues with shifts

Power Steering cooler - my fluid was cooler than a customer's C5Z without the power steering cooler

Rotor cooler - matched my rotor temps to others and mine were down.

I realize some of this is driving style, but I am happy knowing that I have added the correct cooling components to extend the life of my car.

Now its time for a cool suit to keep my temps down

Last edited by Wicked Weasel; 04-22-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Wicked Weasel @ ECS
I was thinking some of the coolers on my car
  • Dewitts radiator with EOC
  • T1 Tranny Cooler
  • Power Steering cooler
  • Rotor cooler - ECS Spindle ducts with DRM extentions

I guess they are working well together

30 min sessions at Pocono North oil temps were 240 high and coolant was 212 high

T1 tranny cooler - never had any issues with shifts

Power Steering cooler - my fluid was cooler than a customer's C5Z without the power steering cooler

Rotor cooler - matched my rotor temps to others and mine were down.

I realize some of this is driving style, but I am happy knowing that I have added the correct cooling components to extend the life of my car.

Now its time for a cool suit to keep my temps down

I think you can do better than the T-1 tranny cooler if you don't need to be legal. Also the power steering cooler can be way bigger than any GM OEM unit with different after market coolers. Coolers definately help everything and diff cooler is veryimportant also.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-22-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Originally Posted by John Shiels
I think you can do better than the T-1 tranny cooler if you don't need to be legal. Also the power steering cooler can be way bigger than any GM OEM unit with different after market coolers. Coolers definately help everything
I have 2 power steering coolers from a C6. They work which is what matters. I agree with the T1 cooler is over priced and there probably a better setup, but I bought it 3 years ago so I am stuck with it.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

I think the T1 cooler is fine. You only have a limited space to put coolers (assuming it is mounted in front of the radiator), and going larger is only going to steal more air from your radiator/oil cooler. My only problem with the T1 setup is that the pumps tend to fail too soon. Maybe install an inline strainer. You can get cheaper replacement pumps from HRP when the time comes.

I ran LG's diff-powered mechanical pumps on my last WC car, and that is a slick setup. It is a lot of work up front, but it's very clean once installed. Priming the system after a refill does take a bit long though, as you have to run the drivetrain to turn the pumps, not just flip a switch.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dewitt EOC is awesome piece of art! That is the one thing I greatly miss from my C5. The temps were so low, it was ridiculous. On the street the car would run at 160-165F and oil never got above something like 220ish if I remember correctly.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my PS cooler is 8' x 12" 1.75" does a great job. Diff and tranny coolers are from DRM in the rear ducts

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-22-2008 at 12:13 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Keeping Cool

Quick Reply: Keeping Cool