Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo2 Rules Question [Wheel / Tire Size]

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:31 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default SCCA Solo2 Rules Question [Wheel / Tire Size]

Okay, so 2008 Solo2 Rules, 13.4 (Stock Category, Wheels), says:
Any type wheel may be used provided it complies with the following:
it is the same width and diameter as standard, and as installed
(including wheel spacers if applicable) it does not have an offset
more than +/- 0.25 inch from a standard wheel for the car. The
resultant change in track dimensions is allowed.
On a car that has staggered sizes (like ours) does that mean that you have to run both factory sizes (is that what "as installed" means?) or can you run one of the factory sizes at all 4 wheels?

Also, I noticed that the tire section (13.3) doesn't seem to require OE tire sizes... does that mean that any tire size is acceptable so long as it fits on the OE wheel size?

Thanks,

Eric
Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Cashmo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a car that has staggered sizes (like ours) does that mean that you have to run both factory sizes (is that what "as installed" means?)
Yes, if the car came with 17's up front and 18's in the rear that's what you have to run in Stock class. In every other class you can run whatever will fit.

Also, I noticed that the tire section (13.3) doesn't seem to require OE tire sizes... does that mean that any tire size is acceptable so long as it fits on the OE wheel size?
Correct, any rubber that will fit. Does your local club offer a "Street Tire" class?

Jeff
Old 04-22-2008, 11:33 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Cashmo
Yes, if the car came with 17's up front and 18's in the rear that's what you have to run in Stock class. In every other class you can run whatever will fit.
Thanks... I figured as much, but wanted to make sure...

Originally Posted by Cashmo
Correct, any rubber that will fit. Does your local club offer a "Street Tire" class?

Jeff
Honestly, I'm not sure... I'll find out. I plan to order a set of wheels and tires for A/X so I don't burn through an expensive set of street tires several times a year and I don't really want to damage my shinies. I'll likely look for a set of OEM C5 Z06 wheels and a set of DOT-R compounds to fit them (as wide as will fit, I guess).

The more I read in the rules the more I realize that I have some things to change about my car to get back down to stock class (intake and brakes, for example). I don't think I can be competitive in stock class let alone the next levels up...
Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
SLandstra_Z06
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I'll likely look for a set of OEM C5 Z06 wheels and a set of DOT-R compounds to fit them (as wide as will fit, I guess)."

DOT-A compounds, not DOT-R's.

A is for Autocross (Hoosier A6's are the best tires for Solo)
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SLandstra_Z06
"I'll likely look for a set of OEM C5 Z06 wheels and a set of DOT-R compounds to fit them (as wide as will fit, I guess)."

DOT-A compounds, not DOT-R's.

A is for Autocross (Hoosier A6's are the best tires for Solo)
R compounds refer to more than just Hoosiers. There are Kumho's, Nittos, Toyos, etc, etc. R compound is any DOT approved race tire.

Some would argue that V710's are a better AX tire, but that is a debate for another day.
Old 04-23-2008, 01:37 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the 710's are better if you are trying for longest time on course.

However where I run we generally always try for the shortest time, and that means Hoosiers.
Old 04-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
Yes the 710's are better if you are trying for longest time on course.

However where I run we generally always try for the shortest time, and that means Hoosiers.
Plenty of National Championships have been won on V710's, but many would agree the A6 is the tire to have. However, the point I was making was that R compounds refer to more than just Hoosiers.

Also, we can debate V710's vs A6's in another thread (not that I'm not agreeing with you).
Old 04-24-2008, 11:24 AM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have run both V710's and A6's on the Auto-X. I prefer the V710, but my car has a street/race alignment. In order to benefit from the A6, you need a lot more negative camber. I know people that have done this, and (in that case) the A6 is a superior choice.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:04 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

To be honest, there are so many opinions and experiences about both tires, that at some point you just have to find a reason to pick one or the other. I picked Hoosier because I like the fact that they are an American company and always have been...
Old 04-24-2008, 08:15 PM
Bimota Guy
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Cal Club (LA area SCCA) offers a street tire class ("SK"). Mod rules are as for stock class, but with a limit of 140 and above wear rating for the tires. This is an indexed class as several stock classes are combined into "SK1" and the others into "SK2" as follows:

SK1 – SS, AS, BS, FS
SK2 – CS, DS, ES, GS, HS

They are very popular classes.

San Diego region now has these same classes.

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo2 Rules Question [Wheel / Tire Size]

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo2 Rules Question [Wheel / Tire Size]