Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 10:35 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Suggestions for Clutch?

After some minor slipping probs at VIR last month and some major sticking at the drag strip Saturday, it is time for a new clutch. Search shows nothing except for flywheel discussion. What would be a good choice? Car is a daily driver when not raining, it sees the track once a month at VIR or Rd Atl and maybe CMP. I also would like to go back to the drag strip again but that will be a rarity. My tuner is an authorized Bird of Prey installer who happened to be at the strip Saturday. He said it would be ~$1,700 for the Talon clutch install . I can get the Talon delivered to my door for $1,099 so around $600 for install(?). Also, the car has 551 rwhp and 453 rwtq and probably will not have much more. Suggestions? I would only like to do this one time. Thanks for the input.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:50 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've heard good things about the RAM street dual disc (around $1300) and the RPS twin (around $2500). I think at 550 whp you are pushing the limit of the single disc clutches, especially if you are going to be driving the car on the street a lot. Any single tough enough to handle the power will have a heavy pressure plate and be a bear on the street.
Otherwise give Tom at Carolina Clutch a call, he'll find something for you.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:30 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default ram

I am also on the ram clutch I moved from the textrillia (spelled it wrong) to the Ram clutch and am very happy... While i am not at the power levels you are (bout 409 RWHP here) I have used it on the 1/4 mile Maxton mile as well as VIR and it has never missed a beat. Good product from what i have experienced.
Old 04-23-2008, 08:42 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I just put a Spec 3 clutch in my white FRC. No more stick problems at all but it is a bit digital for street use. I would go with a Spec 2 or 2.5 for a street car.

I would not install a clutch for less than $750 - a little more if it has headers...I think GM estimates the job at 12 hours...

I would also put in a new slave and remote clutch bleed while I was in there.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Well I would go with the exo textrailia at your power level although I have 565 rwhp / 540 rwtq and the single is working just fine in my car. I installed it last year at 460 rwhp and 401 rwtq for RR and it was great. A year later I was taking it out when I put in the LS7, but it looked new and the exo was on back order. I have had it out for 3 RR days so far with no issues.

WGI this week will be another test.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:24 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

What about the LS7 clutch?
Old 04-24-2008, 10:08 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

What about the LS7 clutch?

Can that hold 550 rwhp?

Wicked Weasel - is the exo what you have now?

Varkwso - I had ruled out the Spec 3 because of the dd; I will check out the 2.5

RaleighSS - I have heard of the RAM; off to research it.

Right now I am leaning towards the CF dual friction or the McLeod. Just have to decide if I want to do aluminum flywheel or not. It is probably now or never, as hopefully this will be my last clutch job.

Thanks guys.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waddisme
[...... as hopefully this will be my last clutch job.

Thanks guys.
I say that every time
Old 04-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed a spec stage 2 with a Fidanza Alu flywheel. I am very pleased with the setup. I also installed a new slave and remote bleeder line while I was in there.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:41 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

How much power are you putting down?
Old 04-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

How much power are you putting down?

If you were talking to me.... I'm making right at 380rwhp. I plan on installing headers down the road but that will be it for me on power. For what I use the car for, it already has enough power.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:57 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06Fix
I'm making right at 380rwhp.
With that power level and planned mods, you would save $ and have a great clutch with the LS7 clutch IMO.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
With that power level and planned mods, you would save $ and have a great clutch with the LS7 clutch IMO.
I really wanted to goto a lighter clutch setup. I got a really good deal on mine, so I made the jump. The lighter flywheel really wakes the car up.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
JimbeauZ06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sperkins
So while I'm having my tranny repaired and we're in there it only makes sense to do the clutch. I don't know how much I'm in for on the repair yet, but was thinking of the SPEC Stage 2 even before. Have heard good things and it's inexpensive. How would the LS7 clutch compare in cost and performance. Cost on the RAM anyone?

Also, for road course use: billet steel or aluminum flywheel?

Is there a kit somewhere for the remote bleeder?
Old 04-25-2008, 01:58 PM
Jason
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

I had a Spec3+ w/alum flywheel in my vert. It was a bit much for daily driving, but I loved it on the track. I will probably go with a 2+ when the time comes for the Z.
Old 04-25-2008, 02:03 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JimbeauZ06
So while I'm having my tranny repaired and we're in there it only makes sense to do the clutch. I don't know how much I'm in for on the repair yet, but was thinking of the SPEC Stage 2 even before. Have heard good things and it's inexpensive. How would the LS7 clutch compare in cost and performance. Cost on the RAM anyone?

Also, for road course use: billet steel or aluminum flywheel?

Is there a kit somewhere for the remote bleeder?

I run a Spec aluminum in our white FRC - the Al flywheel and clutch are the way to go for road course - they are some discounts available if you shop vendors.

You do not need a kit - it is a long hose replacing the short bleed valve - I think I got mine from LAPD or some such.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:03 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

I have narrowed my choices down to the CF Dual Friction, $414 shipped or the Spec 3+ at $538 shipped. I would prefer the CF because of the dd thing, but my installers likes the Spec and says I would have no issue with the Spec with dd. Thanks for the all the good info. I hope someone in the future can use it.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for Clutch?

Old 04-25-2008, 03:16 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

I have narrowed my choices down to the CF Dual Friction, $414 shipped or the Spec 3+ at $538 shipped. I would prefer the CF because of the dd thing, but my installers likes the Spec and says I would have no issue with the Spec with dd. Thanks for the all the good info. I hope someone in the future can use it.

"...I would have no issue with the Spec with dd" I have a little over 500 miles street use and one+ track day at CMP - streetable a SPec 3+ is not in my opinion. It is a digital clutch at the moment.

Also you are getting the Spec 3+ flywheel, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, spacer (use it!), clutch, pressure plate and installation tool for $538? That is really, really low - check to see if they are getting it all - you really want to use their whole setup.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:09 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

It does not incl flywheel, but I thought I read I could use my stock one, resurfaced if necessary. I will go back and re-check. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:21 AM
GettReal
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I went with the CF DFC after my stock C5 and later my Z06 clutch would slip and stick. I have 425rwhp and its holding perfect. If you do go with the CF, make sure you get the 12" not the 11". The 12" is rated up to 650rwhp.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for Clutch?