Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

econo-trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:06 AM
American Power
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default econo-trailer

I'm thinking of this as a basic trailer for the Vette. Does anyone use this? Does the drivers door clear the fender?

It's very inexpensive, and light. I don't want to get anything to nice because I will be keeping it in a parking lot outside.

http://www.econotrailer.com/
Old 04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
gilly6993
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by American Power
I'm thinking of this as a basic trailer for the Vette. Does anyone use this? Does the drivers door clear the fender?

It's very inexpensive, and light. I don't want to get anything to nice because I will be keeping it in a parking lot outside.

It looks like the fenders of the trailer are welded and the doors definately will not clear them....you'll be climbing out the window...
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by American Power

Don't forget to look on e-bay. You may find a nice brand name trailer that is only a couple years old for even less than econotrailer. I found a 2 year old Bri Mar open deck loaded with all the options for under $2000. Original price was $3500. Guy even delivered it to my house, so you never know what you'll find.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:02 AM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one for my C4. It's a good trailer, however, you'll need to place a 2"x10" plank on the driver's side to raise the car enough for the door to clear the fender. I use two planks about 3' long and drive onto them. They're not bolted or fixed in any manner to the trailer and it seems to work fine. I've used this setup for the last 4 years. I tow it with a Ford Explorer with a weight distributing hitch and it's very stable.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

It sounds better than mine (Branson Trailer Manuf w/ wood deck) and with an open steel deck, too. Deck Height? Check your ability to load without scraping the bottom. What length ramps? Stabilizers on rear, jack on front? Any room for tire rack or tool box?
Good luck.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:25 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you need brakes on both axles no matter what!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
JaGsC5
Instructor

This is the exact trailer I own (econo trailer). My car ( C5 ) is lowered about a 1/2 inch and I run kumho tires on 17inch wheels. The door does clear the fender but only by 1/4 inch. I'm light (155 pounds) so I'm sure that helps the shocks not to compress. If you find the door does not quite clear just park the cars rear wheels on a small 2 x 10 plank which will raise it an inch and a half which should give you plenty of clearance.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Joseesp
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

You spent a lot of money on your car and mods. Get something that will protect your investment and will be easy to use. Just my .02
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I forgot to mention the ramps. I built some ramp extenders out of 2x10 that are about 4' long and that keeps me from scraping the airdam.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by John Shiels
Definitely!! It looks like the model with brakes on both axles is only $100 more. Well worth it.

After looking at the pics of your car, I would venture that you will need longer ramps to get the car up without scraping the lower air dam. If the car is lowered, than you might have problems with scraping under the middle of the car as it moves from the ramps and over the trailer dovetail.

With the advertised 8" of fender height from the deck, you should measure the distance from the open door to the ground to see if you will need planks on the deck. Not a biggie, but beats trying to load the car the first time and finding out they are needed.

I would kinda question the 14" tires and 10" brakes. Find out what the tire size is and the load rating. 15" tires Load Range C trailer tires and 12" brakes may be better depending on how far you tow and the total weight of the car and trailer and the total weight of the tow vehicle. Brakes and tires are not an area to cheap out.
Old 04-24-2008, 06:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would kinda question the 14" tires and 10" brakes. Find out what the tire size is and the load rating. 15" tires Load Range C trailer tires and 12" brakes may be better depending on how far you tow and the total weight of the car and trailer and the total weight of the tow vehicle. Brakes and tires are not an area to cheap out.
what are you towing with? I wuould assume it has trailer tires? See who makes the brakes so you can get parts easy like Dexter is a good company.

Last edited by John Shiels; 04-24-2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Econo trailer is simply the BEST. I researched trailers for 12 months till I came across Econo.

My C4 doors clear no problem.
It's the lightest steel trailer out there.
It's the cheapest trailer out there.
It's the most verstile trailer out there. You can mod it anyway you like.
Beaver tail with 5' ramps. I drive right on, and my air dam scrapes a tiny bit, doesn't matter.
4 wheel brakes available.
It is completely open on the bottom, you can easily yank out a tranny.
I added at least 1000 lbs of tool boxes and tireracks, and it rides fines.

I have 15,000 miles on mine, and it's perfect. The only thing I have to do it paint it every 3-4 years.

I see people spend all sorts of money on ALUM trailers, and my Econo is far superiour.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

I have one of these, also. I bought it from a guy on eBay who had run around from the Midwest to the Mid Atlantic coast dragging a couple different Porsches on it.

My '68 clears and so does my '63. Loading is no issue as the rear is slightly dove tailed or beaver tailed.

My only issue is that IMHO and preference the axles should be located about 1 to 2 feet further back, so that the Nose of the car is not at the front of the runners or more.

However, I think the axle position may be to accommodate your own tire rack which would make the balance better.

It tows well, loads well, lights were solid, and the price was right. It isn't enclosed, but after 13 years of dragging a 24 ft enclosed, this is a breeze.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 PM
toolman44092
Pro

Originally Posted by gilly6993
It looks like the fenders of the trailer are welded and the doors definately will not clear them....you'll be climbing out the window...

You speak like you know this.

I own an 18-foot econo-trailer, and I recommend them. I towed my C5, which was lowered all the way on stock bolts, plenty of times and many miles with it. I went from Cleveland to Atlanta and back on one trip. The doors clear the fenders with me in the car, and I weigh about 215. I have not had any problems with the trailer. I do use a 2x8 on the ground by each ramp to help the air dam clear when I load, but that's all I have to do.

They offer options for two axle brakes, like I have, and you can get a spare mounted as well.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Z06 Bob
Instructor

Default trailer

You saw my trailer last year at Pocono. Check out Deandetrailers.com.

They're well made, custom as you want and not too expensive.

What will you be towing with, the Escalade?

Bob
Old 04-24-2008, 11:35 PM
JaGsC5
Instructor

This pictures shows how much room you have with a C5 on an econo trailer

Last edited by JaGsC5; 04-24-2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:42 AM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by John Shiels
eh, i dont know about that. Since the trailer weighs nothing, I got brakes on one axle (all they had around at the time) and I'm fine with that.

I love mine, but my car is so low I do have to climb out the window. Mines the 16ft and the car fits like a glove...

Get notified of new replies

To econo-trailer

Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Procrastination Racing
Le Mans Master

Received 250 Likes on 173 Posts

My 1 ton pickup can stop with the car on the trailer and no trailer brakes, but most SUVs are over the braking limits with the trailer. So the more brakes you have on the trailer, the better.

In some states, no trailer brakes are required. Some states require them on one axle while others say trailer brakes required, not specifying the number of axles. This really means on all axles. To be legal anywhere you tow, get all both axle brakes.

One thing to be sure, the brakes on the trailer should be on the FRONT axle if only on one. Most put them on the REAR axle. In the event the trailer breaks away, the rear axle becomes much less effective at stopping due to the angle and the weight loading on the front axle, even though they all have the load equalizer on the springs. Some trailers will actually lift the rear off the ground if the tongue is on the ground.

Set the tongue on the ground and see how the rear tires make contact if you don't believe it.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:51 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

I was looking at the econo-trailer; ended up popping for a 18' bri-mar
Wanted removable fender.
Can't remember if the econo-trailer has dexter axles, but I wanted them ... have ez lube hubs (grease fittings).

Last edited by MungoZ06; 04-25-2008 at 04:00 PM. Reason: updated comment
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 PM
American Power
Pro

Originally Posted by JaGsC5
This pictures shows how much room you have with a C5 on an econo trailer

Is this the 21' Trailer?
Deck should be 15 foot. I will tow with an GMC Envoy Denali. I tried a Uhaul but had to climb out of the window, which is not my style.

I will borrow my buddies Brimar for the Glen Next week but looks like the econ trailer will be my choice. I have to wait a few weeks for the Econo for them to deliver. They told me from the deck to the fender is 8"..

If I don't have the room I'll use the 2'x6 Method under the wheels.

Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: econo-trailer