Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is the right time to move from street tires to R compounds?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:38 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Default When is the right time to move from street tires to R compounds?

This is in reference to autoXing. I have been doing autoXing since the middle of last year. I was driving an 04 Cobra then and I was using the Faulken Azenis RT-615's on the car. I had never done it before and figured this would be a good tire to start with.

I sold the cobra and bought the C5Z that I have now. I have completed 3 events so far in the Z. I am using the same type of tires on the Vette as I did on the cobra. The vette out handles the cobra far superior... its almost a night and day difference. I just couldn't really drive the cobra aggressive at all, I was just tip-toeing around the courses. The vette I can actually get after it and be aggressive, but I'm still learning its limits as I haven't found them yet.

I know its based on seat time, but when is a good time to actually make the move to R compounds for autoXing? I always hear that its good to just learn the car on good street tires before moving up to the racing tires. I think that in doing this, I'll be much smoother with the car and understand its capabilities more instead of just running the race tires to begin with.

I'm still working on saving up the money for r compounds anyways, so I'm not in a rush. Just wanted to see what some of you guys thought on this subject. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
GTB/ZR-1
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

I went a few years of steady events. Worked up to the top 10-15% of overall raw times on streeties (crappy GY Eagles), then took the plunge...

You're definitely doing the right thing by learning the dynamics, unmasked/aided by R-comps.

Besides, 615s are excellent tires & quite competitive.

Have fun!
Old 04-24-2008, 10:27 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is no one answer to this question. Most times the best answer is the longer you can wait the better. I ran streets for two years (lots of autoxes and track events). I occasionally run streets for non-SCCA events to sharpen my control skills (especially throttle control). I would ask a local fast racer their opinion (have them ride with you), often thats a very good test.
Old 04-24-2008, 10:43 PM
66IISS
Racer

When you start flogging all of the other people with street tires.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:02 AM
LehmanZ06
Pro

3:30pm in the mid late afternoon. Yep I would say 3:30, that sounds like the right time to me.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:21 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol @ 3:30 comment. I always preferred 2 PM myself, but earlier in the winter or months containing the letter "r".

Seriously, when you know exactly when the streets will break loose and slide is a good time. I mean when you can predict it, feel it, catch it, and keep on going. They give so much feedback compared to the R comps that they are great teaching tools. The R comps give plenty of feedback too, but it's subtle.

The comment that when you can spank most everyone on else on street tires is not a bad one, but depends highly on the field you run with.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Z06Fix
Drifting

Never!!!!!

No I'm kidding. My feelings are still to run this year out on street rubber. Then make the jump for next season. I mean you are already running with some of the race tire guys as it is. How much more do you want??...... lol.. You are going to be scary fast on race rubber. It's going to be fun to watch for sure.

Eric

Last edited by Z06Fix; 04-25-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:44 AM
MungoZ06
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Isn't classification a factor? R comp's go into a different class?
I know that's true with NCCC ...
Old 04-25-2008, 11:53 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MungoZ06
Isn't classification a factor? R comp's go into a different class?
I know that's true with NCCC ...
All classes in SCCA except for specific Street Tire classes (STU, STS, STX, etc.) can run "R" compounds.
Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM
BQuicksilver
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Seriously, when you know exactly when the streets will break loose and slide is a good time. I mean when you can predict it, feel it, catch it, and keep on going. They give so much feedback compared to the R comps that they are great teaching tools. The R comps give plenty of feedback too, but it's subtle.

Street tire do give you nice audible and tactile feedback, which helps you know when you're getting close to their limits. You lose a lot of that audible feedback with R's, but you can still feel it push and oversteer. You just don't have nearly warning time you did with street tires. I like the semi-R's just b/c they are a good middle ground and you don't need a tow rig (though it would be nice).
Old 04-25-2008, 01:29 PM
Rob Burgoon
Racer

Originally Posted by 66IISS
When you start flogging all of the other people with street tires.
When you start flogging other drivers that are running R compounds. Probably much easier to accomplish that at the track though...
Old 04-25-2008, 01:30 PM
PushinTheLimit
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I know its really a matter of seat time to determine when to make the move. Like Eric said, him and I both are running right with a few guys in C5’s and C6’s that are on race tires. So that really boosts my confidence that once I do jump to Hoosier’s next year, that I will be competitive with some of the top tier guys on our area.

How much more do I want Eric…. I want to be the fastest guy on the Raw times for ASP and overall for the event. If If I’m gonna go big, might as well go for the big dogs lol. I think we both can give some of those guys all they can handle in ASP. I’ve just gotta learn to be as aggressive with my car as you are with yours.

This car is so much more predictable and gives much better feedback than my cobra ever did. So I’m gonna run about 7-8 more SCCA events and 2 open track events with the Z this year, and then save up for some CCW’s and some nice Hoosier A6’s. I can’t wait!
Old 04-25-2008, 04:46 PM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

I'm in the same boat as you, I just started autoxing middle of last year also. Ive asked myself this same question and the answer I came up with was this:

Once I am able run exactly the same times, or VERY close to them, for a couple sessions I'll know its time to upgrade tires.

Right now I'm getting faster and faster with each session so I know my tires aren't holding me back as much as the driver is.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:19 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't done AutoX for many years, but I switched to R compounds after 5 weekends I think. My AutoX car was also my DD and I didn't like chewing up my street tires. I was running a 1991 1LE Z/28.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:04 PM
R Mackow
Racer

A C5 will take up to a 275 front, a 305 rear on std. stock C5 wheels - 17x8.5 and 18x9.5. If you use street tires on stock wheels this will keep you in I-SH(NCCC class). If you go to A6s you go into group I-H. (in SCCA your are still in SS with stock wheels sizes, but any tire.)
If you go with ZR1 17" wheels all around, and run 295s front and 315s rear your in II-H(NCCC) and A street prepared(SCCA).
Old 04-26-2008, 01:38 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LehmanZ06
3:30pm in the mid late afternoon. Yep I would say 3:30, that sounds like the right time to me.
right now!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2008, 02:25 PM
LS6Vette02
Racer

I've debated about this for a while as well. I'd like to get some V710s, but the expense has prevented me from doing so thus far. Needless to say, the stock F1s don't do too well in autoX, but having done three events with the SCCA, I have noticed that if all runs are done cleanly it is definately possible to come out on top despite others using R compounds. Because I'm still lagging behind the competition, I don't really see why I should move up at this point.

Get notified of new replies

To When is the right time to move from street tires to R compounds?

Old 04-26-2008, 05:07 PM
Timz06
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I ran r's my first event. Definitely the second.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:56 PM
fej
Melting Slicks

I agree with the poster that said the R compounds give you a lot less warning before they "let go" than even top performance street tires.

I ran probably 6-8 events on street tires before I switched. At that time the 01z was my daily driver, so it kept me in check a bit with regards to tire wear.

The group I run with has 4-5 SCCA National champs in it (various classes) and many "sponsored" drivers. To even sniff being competitive in ASP or SP2 you really have to have the R compounds (at least for my group).

I think the move is dependent upon your level of car control as much as it is "event" experience. I recently did an HPDE (my first) at Thunderhill and it was a great experience, and I ran it on street tires for a couple of reasons, 1) to keep myself from pushing the envelope and 2) I wanted to get my current V710's through the rest of this Autox season as I am looking to move to 17x11's all the way around and don't want to have to buy an "in between" set of 275 fronts. I was told on my 6th lap by my "coach" that I should have been running with the B group instead of the A group /shrug.

IMO pick up a second set of "track" rims, throw some R rubber on them and go have fun

Fej

Last edited by fej; 04-26-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:46 PM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LS6Vette02
I've debated about this for a while as well. I'd like to get some V710s, but the expense has prevented me from doing so thus far.
I have a different take on the "expense" issue. I switched over to R-compounds to keep from chewing up my $1200 set of Goodyear GS-D3s. And since I was able to find scuffed Hoosiers at only around $350/set, I realized that R-comps were the way to go from then on.

I remember how slackjawed I was at the incredible increase in grip on that first autoX run w/ the Hoosiers. Anyway, I think whenever you want to have dedicated wheels/tires to run autoX/HPDE with, get the R-comps then...and get scuffs if you can find them...much easier on the wallet!

Quick Reply: When is the right time to move from street tires to R compounds?