Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tpms ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 08:56 PM
blkz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tpms ?

I know it has been asked and answered before but , can someone definitively say whether TPMS are required for track only wheels for a C6Z , year 2007? Thanks.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:08 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Assuming you're talking about HPDE's - not TimeTrials...

I know others will chime in here with differing opinions, but here's what I have discovered -

Sorry to say, but your answer depends on the particular rules of the organizations you plan to run with, and what your experience level (run group) is - among other factors.

SOME organizers require that you run with some level of Active Handling & Traction Control on - at least until your instructor feels confident that you can run safely without it. In some cases, if you're experienced enough to run in an advanced group or have been cleared to run solo, it's a non-issue. And still other groups don't require that you run AH or TC at all. Heck, you may actually WANT to run AH/TC voluntarily in certain conditions (like torrential rain) or during your first sessions at an unfamiliar track.

Finally, different C6 ECU/BCM firmware versions react in unique ways when they can't talk to the sensors for a while. The lack of communication with the sensors is the primary worry with these cars because it affects your ability to adjust your Active Handling or activate Competition Mode. Some versions are easily overridden, allowing you to reset the TPMS warnings by simply killing the motor & restarting, and/or pressing the 'Reset' button on the DIC to clear the messages. Others are much more stubborn, and could potentially be a real danger if they re-activated AH or even limp-home mode in the middle of a turn.

So it varies alot with a C6 ...

I decided to buy TPMS and a reset tool (from CF member BEZ06 - a very good man ) for my CCW track-only wheels, because I don't want the lack of TPMS to affect my plans or become an unexpected requirement once I arrive at any given track with any given sanctioning body...

For autocross, sensors are completely unnecessary, as long as you intend to run without AH & TC and you remember to reset the DIC nag message manually and turn off the AH/TC before each run.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by EvilBoffin; 04-26-2008 at 02:27 AM.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:48 AM
ghoffman
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In II Veteran

You can run without it (rules notwithstanding), but I like it. The sensors are only about $60, and the Bartek tool was about $150 from Wright tools in Troy, MI (http://www.wrighttoolcompany.com/). It is very usefull, you can see the tire pressures actively and when the car gets greasy, I can see at what pressure it starts happening.

Last edited by ghoffman; 04-26-2008 at 04:29 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:41 AM
blkz
Pro

Thanks for the feedback. From what I gather from most is , it's not necessary to have them but it is smart to use them . Answers my question. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2008, 12:11 PM
WNDOPDLR
Burning Brakes

My wife had TPMS, and I am glad she finally got over it

Get notified of new replies

To Tpms ?

Quick Reply: Tpms ?