Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers in Auto-X?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Wheel spacers in Auto-X?

OK, I was looking at another non-racing related thread and came accross these.....

http://riggedup.ecrater.com/category.php?cid=193985

I was wondering if using them on my Auto-X car would help me by widening my stance. I have always thought that a wider car would handle better (too many old Pontiac commercials? ). Looking at the design, they seem to be safe. I know there would be no clearance issues in the front. Maybe some clearance issues when turning in the front? Upsides? Downsides? Just seems intriguing.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

A good alignment specifically for autocross, proper suspension components, race tires with proper air pressure would do a lot more than just moving the wheels outboard thru the use of adapters (those are not spacers).

As you mentioned, you would probably encounter some tire/fender/frame rubbing on hard corners if the car has any bodsy roll. But that depends on the tire width, height and what the existing offset of your current wheels are.

Depending on the sanctioning organization, adapters may put you in a different class or they may not be allowed at all.
Old 04-27-2008, 07:05 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
A good alignment specifically for autocross DONE

proper suspension components All Z06 suspension + poly bushings DONE

race tires with proper air pressure V710's DONE

As you mentioned, you would probably encounter some tire/fender/frame rubbing on hard corners if the car has any bodsy roll. But that depends on the tire width, height and what the existing offset of your current wheels are.

Depending on the sanctioning organization, adapters may put you in a different class or they may not be allowed at all.
There is nothing addressing them in our series. However, I just realized that our series does require that the fender lip covers the tire. I would have to do something to compensate for that as well. Always looking for an edge.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:07 PM
TommyBoy72
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wider track width helps but you will change the scrub radius and will also make the car wider if they extend past the fenders (you have to drive a wider line in slaloms and offsets). I have used it to reduce understeer in stock class (front track width increase) but not on a corvette.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:08 AM
steponc
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

I run a 1/4" spacer for brake clearance in the front. The problem with the ones you show is they are not hub centric. There should be a shoulder that keeps the rim true to the hub at all times. With no centering shoulder the bolts and lugs have to take the load.
Old 05-21-2008, 08:33 PM
doje
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by steponc
I run a 1/4" spacer for brake clearance in the front. The problem with the ones you show is they are not hub centric. There should be a shoulder that keeps the rim true to the hub at all times. With no centering shoulder the bolts and lugs have to take the load.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is hub centric? Can you show me a pic / graphic of something that IS and something that ISN'T? That way I can understand?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:30 PM
VetteDrmr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,394 Likes on 747 Posts

Don't have any pictures, but hub-centric basically centers the wheel up on the center "pilot" flange on the axle hub. Lug-centric wheels have tight fitting lugs (usually straight shoulder) that center the wheel on the axle hub.

The lug-centric wheels depend on the clamping pressure of properly torqued lugs to a clean hub/wheel face to stay in position.

HTH, and have a good one,
Mike
Old 05-22-2008, 02:46 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask and ye shall receive...

Hub Centric

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacers in Auto-X?

Quick Reply: Wheel spacers in Auto-X?