Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rain inside during DE event

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:17 AM
Memphomaniac
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rain inside during DE event

I participated in my second PCA DE event this past weekend at the Memphis Motorsports park. It was my first event with my C6 Corvette, and WOW - what a great handling car stock.

The club requires windows to be open while on the track, and it was raining pretty much all day on the second day. The problem I had was the rain was pouring down the inside of the doors and all over me and my instructor. He was also surprised with the amount of water coming in. This was happening with or without the wipers on, but when I did activate the wipers, a significant amount of additional water would get tossed inside the cabin, falling all over the door window/mirror controls and my left leg.

I realize it'll dry out, but I was wondering if anyone has a solution for this (something other than the obvious "don't drive in the rain with the windows open") Is there a rain gutter product or deflector of some type that can be applied to the edges of the windshield to deflect the water either up or down (depending on speed)? Of course, I want something that isn't ugly or obtrusive.

Last edited by Memphomaniac; 04-28-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:50 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

I been to a few PCA events in the Pacific Northwest. When it rains like a monsoon, we roll our windows up... rules our not... Typically its nice to have the windows down for point bys and you can hear the limits of your tires. When its wet, you don't hear that much and no body is likely to see your point by if its raining enough!
Old 04-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I don't know of anything that will stop the water from coming in. Not familiar with the C6 door switch setup but on the C5 they are sealed and the water doesn't bother them. One thing I learned with my C4 is after running in the rain you should extend the seat belt completely out of its retractor reel until it dries. I ran an event in heavy rain with my 86 and I parked the car in the garage for a couple of days before cleaning it. The seat belt had a very distinct mildew smell and it took a lot of effort to clean the belt.

As for protecting yourself you can get a light weight LL Bean rain suit for a reasonable price that really helps keep you dry and warm.

Bill
Old 04-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Memphomaniac
Instructor

Yeah, we tried rolling up the windows - got black flagged - we were told they needed to be down.

Thanks for the seat belt tip!

Last edited by Memphomaniac; 04-28-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Memphomaniac
Yeah, we tried rolling up the windows - got black flagged - we were told they needed to be down.

Thanks for the seat belt tip!
The track here will do that too. I wonder if a water collection barrier could be placed between you and the door to collect some of the water. That'd make clean up a little easier.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
Memphomaniac
Instructor

Yeah, I guess a towel placed between the seat and door would probably do the trick. I'd probably want to make sure it's attached well to the seat rails or something, just to be sure it doesn't fly up and get in the way at the most inopportune time

The thing that really surprised me was when I was sitting in the hot pit waiting to enter the track, my windshield had accumulated a bunch of standing water. Just before heading out, I flipped the wipers on for a one-shot swipe, and it was as though the entire amount of water that had been standing on my windshield was very efficiently dumped over the left side of the windshield and directly onto my leg. How to impress your instructor. So, here we are laughing like fools while taking the track. Just a minor distraction.

I'm not really worried about getting wet myself, as I can wear raingear. It's the water accumulating in the floor of the car that I would like to catch.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:43 PM
Akcelr8 N VA
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not too much to prevent the rain from coming in. As for the wipers, leave them off and use Rainex and at least you won't get splattered on every stroke of the wipers!
Old 04-28-2008, 03:30 PM
WBHighwind
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Akcelr8 N VA
Not too much to prevent the rain from coming in. As for the wipers, leave them off and use Rainex and at least you won't get splattered on every stroke of the wipers!
I ran in the rain for one session this week end and I didnt need to use the wipers. i still got wet, but it wasn't very bad. Ive made the mistake of using washer fluid to clean my windshield with the windows down before... I got wet...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:07 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Default Rain at DE

I ran a couple of seattime events at Roebling Road outside Savannah GA last year, rained at both of them and as you said, my instructor and I both got soaked in my C6. If you find a fix let me know!!!

Last edited by 05C6GAC; 04-29-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-28-2008, 08:36 PM
levettegrl
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I use Adam's window cleaner, never had to use the wipers once last wknd at the track

Get notified of new replies

To Rain inside during DE event

Quick Reply: Rain inside during DE event