Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

China Rotors - Poor Results

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default China Rotors - Poor Results

Just cracked my first front China rotor. I got 207 track miles.

The last three sets of Canada rotors lasted an average of 352 miles (i.e., 358, 370 & 328 miles).

That's only 60% the longevity for the China rotors compared to the Canadian. Not good.

FWIW, same tires (RA1), same pads (PFC-01) and same track (Hallett).

Rick
Old 04-28-2008, 12:21 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

no surprise here.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek

The last three sets of Canada rotors lasted an average of 352 miles (i.e., 358, 370 & 328 miles).

That's only 60% the longevity for the China rotors compared to the Canadian. Not good.

Rick
How bad are the cracks after those mileages? Still usable, or are those throw-away? Not many miles.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Throw away. Cracked all the way to the outside edge. Thump-thump-thump-thump-thump-thump.....
Old 04-28-2008, 07:40 PM
David A
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a picture?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Rick
Your post interested me and I had to figure out how many track miles I'm getting per rotor. I'm getting about 300 per rotor out of the ATE rotors. However, they are made in China too so the difference could be driving style/track configuration/etc.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Rick

I am not saying that you are not right and that you data won't prove out with further data collection, but I am not sure one rotor is a conclusive test. There are many variables besides your tires, pads and track. Most notable would be weather conditions, the conditions of your brake ducts, how hard you are driving, etc.

From the very limited sample of data you provide on how many mile you have gotten out of previous rotors I could suggest that perhaps you are getting faster and there fore harder on the rotors. Your current data points on Canada rotors is ultra-limited, but perhaps it shows you are going deeper into the turns.

I think maybe after 10 sets of rotors a more conclusive result can be derived unless earlier tests show substantially lower longetivity on virtually every test sample.

...but what do I know...
Old 04-28-2008, 08:23 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Olitho
I am not saying that you are not right and that you data won't prove out with further data collection, but I am not sure one rotor is a conclusive test. There are many variables besides your tires, pads and track. Most notable would be weather conditions, the conditions of your brake ducts, how hard you are driving, etc.

From the very limited sample of data you provide on how many mile you have gotten out of previous rotors I could suggest that perhaps you are getting faster and there fore harder on the rotors. Your current data points on Canada rotors is ultra-limited, but perhaps it shows you are going deeper into the turns.

I think maybe after 10 sets of rotors a more conclusive result can be derived unless earlier tests show substantially lower longetivity on virtually every test sample.

...but what do I know...
You made me stop and think for a minute, but naahhh!!! Chinese rotors are crappy, like everything else they export. And if you want to see BIG TIME crappy you should see the stuff the sell locally.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by gonzalezfj
You made me stop and think for a minute, but naahhh!!! Chinese rotors are crappy, like everything else they export. And if you want to see BIG TIME crappy you should see the stuff the sell locally.

Frank Gonzalez

FG, you may well be right, I am just not ready to conclude that just, yet....

...I am sure you have done the same, but I have cracked the Canadian rotors in one day before. The best lasting ones I ever used I got used from Orange County Corvette. They were pull-offs that came off a street car that got a big brake kit. The rotors were very well "seasoned" from some street use and they seemed to last forever....

Old 04-29-2008, 02:21 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

...but what do I know...
Very true. One set does not provide a meaningful amount of data for statistical analysis. I'll monitor going forward.

FWIW, brake cooling ducts are in the same, "good" condition. No less air flow than with the Canadian rotors.

Also, to be fair, I believe I put the China rotors on in the "middle" of a track day and immediately hit the track. I don't think I seasoned them prior to hammering. However, I can't remember as it was the end of last season that I installed them. I'll go through my log book to verify and post.

I could be providing bad data....... I've had good service with many China made items and am not a China basher by nature.

Rick
Old 04-29-2008, 07:22 AM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...I am sure you have done the same, but I have cracked the Canadian rotors in one day before. The best lasting ones I ever used I got used from Orange County Corvette. They were pull-offs that came off a street car that got a big brake kit. The rotors were very well "seasoned" from some street use and they seemed to last forever....

It's not just the rotors. I have spent 20 years dealing with the Chinese and I can tell you for a fact that the only thing they understand is CHEAP. They don't have our concept of good quality at a lower price.

Maybe the rotors are OK, but I will try to keep buying Canadian, Brazilian or whatever else.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 04-29-2008, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

The first year I did DEs I would go though rotors every two events. As I did more and more events, the front rotors lasted up to 5 events, and rears up to 7 events.

For the most part it was three events for the fronts and 7 events for the rears. I used PFC-01 or Wilwood H brake pads.

My braking style changed with more experience. Braking latter, harder and shorter duration. Plus I did a better job of bedding or seasoning the rotors in before going to the track. AND doing more cooling down after each session.

As we have mentioned in other threads, almost all one piece brake rotors are now made in China, no matter whos name is on the box. Even many of the two piece rotors with big names are cast in china, then finished in some other country. And as Frank mentioned "they only know how to make things one way, Cheap."

Brake rotors are disposable items when you start tracking your car. That is a fact and you just plan and budget for that.

If you want a two piece rotor set up that is great. There are several out on the market place, my choice would be Colman Racing out of Mich. IIRC Colman makes almost all of the NASCAR brake rotors and can make anything you want, but you need to know the demotions.

Or you could go with Hitco. Hitco makes the F1 carbon rotors and brake pads
Old 04-29-2008, 09:27 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Street 'em before abusing them. I used HP+'s for a while on the street, then run them with a Hawk track pad on the track. Works better that way. On the other hand, anyone need 2 dozen cracked rotors...?
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by David A
Can you post a picture?
No picture available. They're in the trash can at the track.

Not sure what you're expecting to see? It's just a cracked rotor, nothing new or special about it. No different than the 100's that people crack with regularity when subjected to track usage. Crack(s) across the braking area perpendicular to the OD of the rotor.

Rick
Old 04-29-2008, 10:50 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by David A
Can you post a picture?
I did a search for you. Here's a picture of a typical crack:

http://www.petting-zoo.net/corvette/...MG_0806-r.html

Do a Title Only search on "cracked rotor" and you'll have a lot of reading material and pictures.

Rick
Old 04-29-2008, 08:47 PM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Rick
Somewhat better results than the Chinese Heparin...
Old 04-29-2008, 09:09 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son

:..... On the other hand, anyone need 2 dozen cracked rotors...?

I use them to fill potholes in the driveway...

Get notified of new replies

To China Rotors - Poor Results

Old 04-29-2008, 10:17 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

if anyone has the CA rotors, swap one with each other and see how they hold up on the SAME car.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:04 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by southern_son

On the other hand, anyone need 2 dozen cracked rotors...?
My Wife is using them to make a path though the garden. I Keep 12 for when I do alignments. Put them in the drivers seat to act as 200 lbs of me.

But with the prices of scrap iron a few dozen might pay for a track weekend now
Old 04-30-2008, 07:06 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
My Wife is using them to make a path though the garden. I Keep 12 for when I do alignments. Put them in the drivers seat to act as 200 lbs of me.

But with the prices of scrap iron a few dozen might pay for a track weekend now
$11 for 100 pounds of scrap iron here - gets much higher I will be mining my driveway...

Quick Reply: China Rotors - Poor Results