Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sat 5/3 at Pocono in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:30 PM
monroepaul
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sat 5/3 at Pocono in the rain?

I'm running in a DE this Saturday at Pocono and its supposed to rain. I have 5 DEs under my belt so far but this might be the first one in the rain. My questions is I only have 2 sets of tires, my slicks and my street tires which are Bridgestone Potenzas, what should I run? The Bridgestones happen to be very soft they are a 140 wear rating. Also looking for any specific rain advice from some of you track junkies.

thanks
Old 04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
blue383
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is raining you don't want to run slicks. I have never used them, but I've seen cars on slicks that must slow to 30-40mph to keep the car on the track in the rain. Some events won't even let cars with slicks run in the rain. If it is a light drizzle and no film of water on the track, you may be OK with slicks.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:07 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Take the street tires - slicks will be useless and you will sit in the pits. If there is any running water across the track try to hit it perpendicular to minimize hydroplaning. Drive slightly off line where the asphalt is not as worn. The rougher surface will drain water better. Avoid painted gators and black patches of tar on the asphalt, they turn to ice with zero traction. Above all be SMOOTH with all car control imputs to maintain max traction.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:09 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are running with PDA the East course is tight and tons of turns. Short shift the car to keep from spinning the wheels. Go slow until you know where the puddles are. You might want to drop your PSI slightly also.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

140 treadware bridgestones... are they the RE-01R's? If so they are awesome rain tires, but i didn't see them available in z06 sizes.

Get notified of new replies

To Sat 5/3 at Pocono in the rain?

Quick Reply: Sat 5/3 at Pocono in the rain?