Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on car trailer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 10:51 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Need advice on car trailer.

Although I love driving the vette to and from the track, I really want to pick up a trailer to haul her there instead. My budget does not allow for an enclosed trailer or any other super nice setup.
I'm thinking about an 18' solid steel decking, dual axle, open trailer with removable fenders and brake away brakes. I don't want to get one and figure out a year from now that I should have bought something else. What are you guy using and why?
Thanks in advance.
Perk
Old 05-03-2008, 01:21 AM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
Although I love driving the vette to and from the track, I really want to pick up a trailer to haul her there instead. My budget does not allow for an enclosed trailer or any other super nice setup.
I'm thinking about an 18' solid steel decking, dual axle, open trailer with removable fenders and brake away brakes. I don't want to get one and figure out a year from now that I should have bought something else. What are you guy using and why?
Thanks in advance.
Perk
Down-2-earth trailers in Baxley, Ga should have what you need. These are the same trailers sold by Sweet River Farms that I and a Cobra are using.
Old 05-03-2008, 05:36 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like you have the criteria down that you need. There are many out there and used ones save you some good money....
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

search trailer here you will find tons of reading.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy what you want. The price of steel is not going down so in a few years when you outgrow the open trailer you'll be able to sell it for close to what you paid for it in the first place. Lots of people like you want to buy a used open trailer! IMHO.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 AM
97C5inSD
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I have a Texas Roll Back that i put a tool box on the front to store my tools and i will be installing a tire rack on top of that this summer. Granted with the way gas prices are going i'm gona be driving my car more with a trailer in toe vs hauling the car
Old 05-03-2008, 11:02 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I know that you said steel, but if you an go aluminum you will be better off in the long run. Lighter weight better fuel economy. JMO
Old 05-03-2008, 09:08 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd recommend dual axle brakes. If you can't find a trailer with removeable fenders, you may be able to put a 2x6 or 2x8 down for the front wheels - that may give the clearance for the driver's door. I'm using a 16ft open w/ blocks and it works great - although at timrs I wish I had the 18'. Good luck!
Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 PM
racerbob4
Instructor

the solid steel deck will weight a lot more than a trailer with 2 steel runners. That also lets you do minor work under the car if needed. I think all trailers with electric brakes required a battery operated emergency brake system. On our last open trailer we bought a diamond plate aluminum box that we put in things that we might need at the track and didnt want to have to pack everytime we went to the track. Ours was large enough for a couple of cargo boxes for parts, oil, brake clean, and other stuff. We also used to strap on canopy poles for our track canopy. When you look for your trailer be sure to get very long ramps and also what they call a beaver tail so its easier to get your car off and on it.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:14 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Perk,
I have an 18' Bri-mar open air trailer with a tire rack and tool box on the front that is basically exactly what you are looking for; dual 3500# axles with brakes on each, both fendors swivel forward, no center section (saves a little weight). Very happy with it.

I bought it for about the same reasons as you, cost and weight (as compared to a 24+ ft enclosed trailer). When I bought it my tow vehicle was a Dodge Durango. After using the Durango for about half a season, I decided that even with the open air trailer, the load was too heavy (though within the Durango's tow capacity) and I upgraded to an F350 with the 6.0L turbo diesel. After towing with a turbo diesel I'll never go back.

I still have the 18' Bri-mar and have been very satisified with it over the years. Actually used it again this winter when I popped across the country and back to pick up my essentially new Vette from Phoenix Performance.

However, I used the year plus that I sat on the sidelines to upgrade to a 28' enclosed Timberwolf (bought used from fellow T1 racer David Pintaric) and to upgrade to a new GMC Sierra dually 3500 HD.

You can find plenty of 18' trailers out there that meet your needs. Good luck!

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

IMHO, if you can find a good used aluminum trailer, that's the way to go. I had a steel trailer and it was good, but when I happened upon a deal on an open aluminum trailer, I sold the steel one. The aluminum trailer is about 1200 lbs lighter than my old steel one, and I can see the difference in handling and gas mileage. Mine is a Trailex. Very well made, dual axle brakes, tire rack, the whole bit. Absolutely great trailer.

If you do go with steel, I'd recommend an open deck, not closed. First, the open deck is going to be a lot lighter. Plus, when you're out at the track should you need to work under the car for any reason, you can use the open trailer like a lift. Been there, done that.

p.s. The Trailex trailers are not outrageously expensive new. You might want to check their website. It will definitely cost more than a steel trailer, but with gas at $4/gal., the weight savings will pay for itself over time.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:40 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Great information so far guys. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:34 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

How many of those options on the new Aluminum trailers are highly reccommended? like the Warn (what is a warn winch vs the other one for $368?) winch for $669? tire rack? diamond floor-$360? welded vs bolted? thanks (I was getting these prices from the trailex website)
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
gilly6993
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

get a trailer with a dovetail.....
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by urslooow
How many of those options on the new Aluminum trailers are highly reccommended? like the Warn (what is a warn winch vs the other one for $368?) winch for $669? tire rack? diamond floor-$360? welded vs bolted? thanks (I was getting these prices from the trailex website)
I have no idea what the Warn winch is. I picked one up from Harbor Freight for about $100, portable, something like 9K load capacity.

If you take a spare set of tires to the track, the tire rack is well worth it. I have one on mine, and a friend has one on his Trailex. Solid, easy to use rack, bolts right up to the trailer. If you prefer to lug them in your SUV, then you don't need the rack.

Diamond plate flooring covers the center, IIRC. I prefer open center. No reason for diamond plate, even on the wheel panels. I don't have it, and never have a problem even when it's wet.

As for bolted vs. welded, my trailer is bolted, and it is solid as can be. I'd just stick with bolted, IMHO.

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one, and only one piece of open trailer advice:

To clear the fenders with the drivers side door, put down a piece of wood, 2x12, under the driver's side tires only. If you use just one side like that, you create a favorable angle for the driver's door (it swings slightly up rather than just out) and will clear the fender at near stock ride height. If you put wood under both sides, you will have to raise the vehicle higher and spend more on wood. You don't have to have trick fenders in most cases.

This is not my trick; I learned it from another guy that tows corvettes.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on car trailer.

Quick Reply: Need advice on car trailer.