Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

track days/schools near MD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:23 PM
mldolan
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default track days/schools near MD?

Hi,
Im new to all of this and am very interested in participating in track days, auto-x, and or driving schools in the MD area (or as close to it as possible) though I don't own a 'vette (yet) i do have a suitable car for these events. sorry for posting in a corvette forum but yours was the only one I could find that was actually talking about real tracks vs drag racing events. (i didn't spend a fortune on my suspension to go in a straight line for 1/4 mile). any help with clubs/tracks/schools in MD/PA/VA/WV/DE etc would be appreciated. FYI car is a miata stock for now but in about a month i'm adding a supercharger and will be pushing ~230 at the rear wheels
thanks
Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike, there are several HPDE events being held at the Summit Point Raceway in WV. You can check out a few clubs that host events there: www.mazdadrivers.com www.trackdaze.com www.chinmotorsports.com and www.nasaproracing.com You can also check out the new New Jersey Motorsports Park this year. You will receive classroom and in-car instruction in HPDE 1. Lots of fun! Mike
Old 05-03-2008, 11:08 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Check out

Hello

Check out VIR on http://www.trackschedule.com/ (scroll down the page for the calender)

There are multiple clubs that have events there... I lean towards the full course events .... Lots of fun...

Enjoy
Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The Miata is a great car for doing HPDEs. Especially with the addition of the supercharger. You will be able to keep up with the bigger/higher HP cars on the straight and then out corner them.

Bill
Old 05-04-2008, 07:03 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Summit Point near Charlestown WV is your nearest track
Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 PM
C5inWV
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

There is an event on the Shenandoah Circuit at Summit Point in 2 weeks with Trackdaze. It is a very technical track, but as good a place to start as any. A Miata can do well on this track.
https://www.trackdaze.com/
Old 05-04-2008, 05:40 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Summit Point near Charlestown WV is your nearest track
Yes--Summit is your best bet. It's close and typically costs a little less for a 2-day event plus the BSR based there has the Friday-at-the-Track program which are 1 day events. What's really nice about them is that you can take a rain check if you call within 24-48 hrs of the event (1 time only per sign-up). So if it looks like rain, you can go next time. 1 day events are also more affordable--no hotel necessary.

That said, I like VIR in southern VA (5 hr hike--no street lighting for the last 2 hrs either ) better as a track and the facility is better. Summit (Main) has a lot of pea gravel and if you run there you can expect dings in your paint and possibly small ones in the windshield if someone goes off near you and sprays this stuff on the track surface. VIR is much easier on the paint, I am finding.

Pocano is in PA to the north (3-4 hr drive) but is a Nascar track and therefore hard on your motor if you don't have something beyond a factory wet sump oil pan. Not nearly as technically demanding as VIR and Summit is in the middle.

If I was you, I'd hold off on the 'charger and run it stock for a while and spend the $ on track fees, hotel, gas, brake pads, alignment.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:35 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The Miata is a great car for doing HPDEs. Especially with the addition of the supercharger. You will be able to keep up with the bigger/higher HP cars on the straight and then out corner them.

Bill
It cracks me up everytime I read or hear about the Miata out cornering a Vette. The Vette is no slouch in the corners.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:45 PM
Gray Ghost GS
"AlohaC5" Senior Member

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Mike - you know we enjoy hearing those comments about the "cornering performance" of Miatas, Subaru STIs and Mitsubishi Evos being superior to the Corvette - it's fun to disprove those long held "theories" by their owners on the track! I respect their handling capabilities, but the Corvette definitely measures up and then some Mike
Old 05-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Woods
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
Mike - you know we enjoy hearing those comments about the "cornering performance" of Miatas, Subaru STIs and Mitsubishi Evos being superior to the Corvette - it's fun to disprove those long held "theories" by their owners on the track! I respect their handling capabilities, but the Corvette definitely measures up and then some Mike
Right on
Old 05-15-2008, 09:24 AM
hrtracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlohaC5
AMEN!!!!!!

Get notified of new replies

To track days/schools near MD?

Quick Reply: track days/schools near MD?