Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Free mechanical tech inspection in MD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 05:52 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Free mechanical tech inspection in MD?

Does anyone know of a shop in MD that maybe sponsors NASA or some org. and will perform your tech inspection free? What are people doing about tech? I do a much better exam than most mechanics take the time for anyway and so it seems silly to shell out $75 per event for tech. although I welcome a pro inspection.

If not free, is there anybody that does some sort of summer or annual special?

Thanks

Andy
Old 05-04-2008, 06:47 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

HPDE with NASA? You just need to fill out the form and bring it to tech for the event with your helmet.

Other groups may allow a single inspection with you checking it between events. Check with the organization that is running the event.
I can't imagine any shop going over your car for free. I wouldn't even expect it.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:38 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jaa1992
HPDE with NASA? You just need to fill out the form and bring it to tech for the event with your helmet.

Other groups may allow a single inspection with you checking it between events. Check with the organization that is running the event.
I can't imagine any shop going over your car for free. I wouldn't even expect it.
Yeah, the groups I'm running with each require a tech inspect. form within 30 days.
Old 05-05-2008, 10:15 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Damn, I'd find a local mechanic then that would be willing to signoff on the forms. I'd work a deal where the first time might be the $75, but you would show him the things you check all the time and the trouble spots. Then maybe $20 for each subsequent "inspection".

With that kind of additional cost I would find another group to run with - just my $0.02
Old 05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I fill it out myself NASA PDA. What mechanic would want the liability unless he is getting $$$ and more than 20 bucks I would guess. Then for him to not do it is more trouble for him if something happen.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:58 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Go in to a Midas or some such place tht does annual stat inspection with your form. Tell them what you are doing and see if they will do your car and sign off on the sheet for the annual inspection fee. I do that and the fee is $16.00.

Bob
Old 05-05-2008, 01:14 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Damn, I'd find a local mechanic then that would be willing to signoff on the forms. I'd work a deal where the first time might be the $75, but you would show him the things you check all the time and the trouble spots. Then maybe $20 for each subsequent "inspection".

With that kind of additional cost I would find another group to run with - just my $0.02
That's exactly what I'm looking for--a deal at least wherein I have maybe a major annual or bi-annual inspection but minor ones in between. Not too many mechanics I know that I'd let touch my vette so haven't found such a deal yet.

John,

I don't think liability is too much an issue as these forms state that it's my responsibility that everything is in good working condition.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 PM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Kanmer
Go in to a Midas or some such place tht does annual stat inspection with your form. Tell them what you are doing and see if they will do your car and sign off on the sheet for the annual inspection fee. I do that and the fee is $16.00.

Bob
MD inspection fee is around $50-75 depending on where you go.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
Yeah, the groups I'm running with each require a tech inspect. form within 30 days.
What groups are these? Most of the ones I run with require a tech inspect form but are OK accepting my signature on the form. Some mechanics are uncomfortable signing such a form due to liability concerns. The fact that most forms have a lot of liability disclaimers printed on them just makes them nervous.

Bill
Old 05-05-2008, 03:52 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If LGM showed up to run would he be at a gas station getting an inspection? Can't see why you can't do it?

Get notified of new replies

To Free mechanical tech inspection in MD?

Quick Reply: Free mechanical tech inspection in MD?