Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SCCA Solo2 Rules Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 07:59 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Default SCCA Solo2 Rules Question

Okay, so I have some visual "mods" that aren't spelled out in the rule book so far as I can tell. Do I need to remove these to maintain stock class? Clearly there is no performance gain from these, and I don't want to remove them if I don't have to. However, I don't want something like this to bump me to the next class...

Thoughts?

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 PM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Eric -

If you are talking about the chrome accents & vent covers, then that should easily be covered under the generic "Comfort & Convenience" category, and should not be protest-worthy.

In any case, they certainly represent no performance advantage, so I pity the fool that would bother to mess with you (unless those fancy vents are hiding the intakes to a nice pair of turbos that we don't know about ... )
Old 05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Eric -

(unless those fancy vents are hiding the intakes to a nice pair of turbos that we don't know about ... )
HA! Wouldn't that be nice!
Old 05-04-2008, 08:55 PM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Technically they aren't allowed. But nobody will say anything about the letters since they actually add weight. The vents are questionable since those vents are functional and the screens are changing airflow.

If you wanted to run nationally I'd take the vents off. Locally, no-one should care. IMHO.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Ted -

Are the side cove vents considered "functional"on a C5? They do nothing for the air flow on a C6 (like mine) as far as I've heard, and are there strictly for show.

Or are you referring to his FRONT lower cooling vents? I can't tell much from the pic - did he change the front ones, too?
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CrystalRacer
Ted -

Are the side cove vents considered "functional"on a C5? They do nothing for the air flow on a C6 (like mine) as far as I've heard, and are there strictly for show.

Or are you referring to his FRONT lower cooling vents? I can't tell much from the pic - did he change the front ones, too?
The side vents do help extract heat from the engine compartment.

The front vents have not been changed.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 PM
SteveC6R
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going with Reply #1. Nothing to be gained and only a very, very sore loser would protest that on a National level. I know of worse things on National Champ. cars that have not been protested.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:01 AM
fhturner
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveC6R
I'm going with Reply #1. Nothing to be gained and only a very, very sore loser would protest that on a National level. I know of worse things on National Champ. cars that have not been protested.

If you actually have anyone, anywhere protest these "mods", please let me know, and I'll be happy to fly to wherever said loser is and beat him w/ a rubber hose for bein' a tard!
Old 05-06-2008, 01:48 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fhturner

If you actually have anyone, anywhere protest these "mods", please let me know, and I'll be happy to fly to wherever said loser is and beat him w/ a rubber hose for bein' a tard!
I just might hold you to this...

See you around the weekend of Memorial Day, then (next event here).

Eric
Old 05-06-2008, 03:54 AM
EvilBoffin
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

... only a very, very sore loser would protest that on a National level
You are right, but I've been on 2 Nationals protest committees (a worker position I definitely would NOT recommend, BTW), and agree with Ted that REALLY frivolous protests are submitted regularly at the bigger events.

However, if someone did protest you on these modifications alone, the protest would probably be thrown out as these parts provide no mechanical or aerodynamic performance advantage. In fact, those side vent covers look to be BLOCKING some air flow.

Of course, there's never any guarantees in the wonderful world of the SCCA. So it might be best to take them off just before you go to the 'Big Dance'... if for no other reason then to keep others from questioning the legality of your car.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:50 AM
TedDBere
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've just seen so many little things get protested that it's not worth towing your car all the way to Topeka and then getting dinged for something so minor.

Fortunately SS has an unwritten "no weenie" protest rule that the competitors seem to stand by: if there's no performance advantage, there's no protest.

However, not withstanding that gentleman's agreement in SS, I've seen lesser things get protested in other classes. Shift *****, brake lines that are not attached at the stock locations, lack of a cover on the radio-delete in SM2 (solved with duct tape).

I have a rear tow hook, in case I have to winch the car onto the trailer, that I remove for National events just to avoid any potential issues. I also have an exhaust that eliminates the need for the stock hangers, but I leave the stock hangers bolted to the car because in stock class you can change the exhaust, but not delete the stock hangers...go figure.

I also don't use the 1-4 skip shift eliminater because of a threatened protest...the 1-4 skip shift has been known to activate in the rain so the potential protester claimed that because it can come on during competition it could not be claimed as a C&C item...even though it wasn't raining.

Rules are rules and they should be followed. You may not like the rules, but if you are going to swim with the sharks...

If you are going to block airflow from the engine compartment I would think that would be protestable. Especially if you beat the protester!

Last edited by TedDBere; 05-06-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:33 AM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Thanks, guys.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:06 PM
ericstanley
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Solo2GS

No one locally is going to care!
I certainly hope no one cares, but you just never know...

Originally Posted by Solo2GS
Have fun!
I plan to!!

Get notified of new replies

To SCCA Solo2 Rules Question

Quick Reply: SCCA Solo2 Rules Question