Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCRC events

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Default NCRC events

I'm looking for some feedback on the Northern California Racing Club. I might drive down there from Seattle to do a T-Hill two day event.
Please post your experiences about how well this club manages a track day.
thanks!

http://www.ncracing.org/
Old 05-04-2008, 11:49 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't run with them yet, but I know plenty of folks that have and do. They're supposed to be a good group that have a lot of safe fun.
Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 AM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Good to hear, thanks for the note.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:52 PM
seattle_vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also from Seattle area here. We have been to 3 NCRC events and all have been terrific. In fact, we are going down again for June 21-22. A bunch of Seattle/Portland folks are planning to go.

There are many things we like about this group and Thunderhill.

-it is an easy one day drive and worth the effort for a 2-day driving event.

-NCRC offers some run-group options that we don't get up here. For example, there is a novice group with instruction-pretty standard. But they also have a point-by group which allows passing anywhere (corners included) with a point-by. This is the group I run in and it is fun. Everyone is most courteous with the points. Then there is the open group which is just that - pass anywhere no point-by required. Folks again are courteous, but I would say this is for advanced and track familiar only.

-There are races held at lunch-time each day. Very much fun to watch from the tower.

-They allow passengers. I don't know how long this practice will continue, but it is nice to go out with other drivers to get another's perspective. It is also nice when a guest is visiting to be able to give a ride.

-Track time. Just about as much as you want. They allow you to "run-down' in groups if there is room. For example, if I am in the point-by group I can run-down in the novice group as long as I follow the passing rules for that group.

-Most importantly, I believe NCRC runs a very safe event. Very liberal rules, but don't do anything unsafe. They also run pretty much on time which is nice.

As I said, a bunch of us are going down for June 21-22. It will be fun. By the way, NCRC offers a pretty good discount for a first-timer and they offer 20% off for women at any event.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:41 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Great feedback, thanks for that. I'm also looking at the June 21-22 event as well. My uncle lives in Redding and we are planning on going, but have yet to register. He needs and instructor and the concern is he may not get one as there are no guarantees. Have you seen or heard of lapping newbies on track w/out an instructor? I'd like to get one too but its less important since I've had 4 track days at THill, I just need a quick refresher of the line.
How **** are they about the Snell helmet rating and long sleeves? It will be what we think of as hot here (80-90 deg). My helmet is a Snell 95, but it was a $500 helmet (back in '99).
Old 05-08-2008, 10:13 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The NCRC events are great. Instruction is top notch. If they happen
to have more students than instructors I think they then go with lead
follow to get everyone started. That gets you a session with no in car
instructor but pretty much gets you on the line and then you get the
instructor with someone following you next session. Key to this is to
have more grip than the car you follow, that way you don't have to
push to keep up. The other way around it is an issue. Once saw a 70's
Z car with 6in wide tires trying to follow a whale tail P car with 12in
tires, the Z spun, wasn't at a NCRC event.
I've run with NCRC for 5 years and IMO they are the best group for a
serious driver. For anyone who just wants to go out for fun a few times
I would recommend HOD.
Randy

BTW, Dave Mills is available by email contact from the NCRC site and is
great at answering any questions you may have about instruction.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:21 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you elaborate on "serious driver"?
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
seattle_vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Great feedback, thanks for that. I'm also looking at the June 21-22 event as well. My uncle lives in Redding and we are planning on going, but have yet to register. He needs and instructor and the concern is he may not get one as there are no guarantees. Have you seen or heard of lapping newbies on track w/out an instructor? I'd like to get one too but its less important since I've had 4 track days at THill, I just need a quick refresher of the line.
How **** are they about the Snell helmet rating and long sleeves? It will be what we think of as hot here (80-90 deg). My helmet is a Snell 95, but it was a $500 helmet (back in '99).

I agree you should contact Dave Mills and he can answer any of your questions. Very nice guy. I never had a problem picking up an instructor, or at the very least an experienced driver. The Seattle folks take care of each other. I have seen people driving in shorts -instructors. You have to complete a self-tech form.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another Be sure to opt for the AMB tining, it is an extra $20 or $30 but worth every cent.

Get notified of new replies

To NCRC events

Quick Reply: NCRC events