Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mashed Up My Car On Track Like a Dummy--Looking to Buy Parts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:17 AM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mashed Up My Car On Track Like a Dummy--Looking to Buy Parts!

I have a Silver 2002 C5 Z06 and am looking to buy the following parts to start:

-RT front upper control arm
-RT rear toe-link or tie-rod (outer)
-RT fender
-RT wheel well
-RT headlight cover

My immediate goal is to get the car drivable and get it to a friend's shop 10 minutes away to see if it's alignable (and check for further damage)!

I'll tell a bit about what happened so if anyone has any additional tips/advice on what to check out etc, I would appreciate hearing it!

Basically I was accelerating out of a turn and I lost control of the rear. I really didn't think I was driving any different then I normally would under those conditions, but no matter, I couldn't get her back under control. The car first went to the right, then left, then turned around 180 degrees and went into the concrete barrier almost sideways on the passenger side.

The barrier was displaced and the airbags deployed. I had to get checked out, answer all these goofy questions LOL and ride back in the ambulance too, but the first thing I did when the safety crew showed up was to have them watch for when the husband's car went by so they could tell him that I was ok--it's always worse for those around you to see all this it seems (fortunately my son wasn't due at the track until later). I was too embarassed to tell the ambulance folks I think I skinned my knees (which when I looked later I did a bit).

Anyway I guess this is my chance to maybe turn my (poor) car into a full time track car?

Thanks again for any parts leads/ advice!

Anita

PS they really need to think about adding a nice fragrance to the air bags when they deploy--they stink Airbag related questions were the best ones I got after--how do they smell, did face get burned (I had no idea--I asked the person to tell me LOL).
Old 05-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06 Whisperer
they really need to think about adding a nice fragrance to the air bags when they deploy

Glad you are OK!
Old 05-06-2008, 10:55 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you're ok. Most things about cars can get fixed with money and time... People are lots more fragile.

The situation you are describing is pretty common. You lose the back end when putting power down post-apex. What I do is open the wheel up (straighten) as I accelerate and that keeps the nose straighter so the engine torque doesn't bring the back around. Often, that gentle straightening turns into full countersteer to control the slide. If I have a choice between the back coming around and running out of track at the end of a turn, I'll run straight off rather than have the back come around. It's easier to get the car under control again if it's not completely sideways. Your runoff room may vary, so take that for what it's worth.

The way I think about it is that when I accelerate or brake, the more I do either the straighter the wheel needs to be unless I want to induce a high slip angle condition (drift).

Something you said also got me to respond in more depth: "Driving as you normally do under those conditions." I don't think there's really any such thing. The conditions on track can change so fast that even when you hit a turn as you normally do, it's never the same turn. There could have been something on the trac (dirt, oil, dead snake), your diff could have behaved differently because of heat, you could have accelerated a little harder than you normally do, on tires that were too cold (or too hot), etc.

In other words, I don't think there's ever a time when you can take even the simple turns in stride. There's always something that can bite you, and it's that level of concentration that makes the sport so appealing.

Unfortunately, there's not much way to practice for such incidents in controlled conditions. It's possible to catch the car sometimes on the second snap (with hard acceleration), but if it loops backwards, then you are driving backwards and that's about all you have to work with. I've had instructors tell me to always look at the path you want to take and your body will steer you there. If you fixate on something (OMG! I am heading for that wall!) you will often hit it. If you fixate on the way out, you often won't.

I don't know how much truth there is to that in a general sense, but I can tell you that I've avoided things I had no right to avoid by looking at the gap and not at the wall.

Good luck with your repairs, and once again glad you are OK.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

ebay
Old 05-06-2008, 11:19 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

Where you running active handling?
comp mode ?
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM
bb69
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car. Also glad to see that you are getting right back into it.

As for parts, this depends on your schedule. I bought all the Corvette suspension pieces over the last year for my project. If you need them fast, try some of the vendors here, such as Vette to Vette. If you have some time, cruise ebay every day. There are a lot of Vette parts on ebay, but more and more of the sellers believe they have gold on their hands and they price it accordingly. However, you will eventually find the parts going for a reasonable price. Also try looking in the C5 Parts for sale forum. There are normally a couple cars being parted out there.

Ken
Old 05-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Hardcorvette
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Glad you are ok...the car parts are easier to replace.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:18 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by the blur
comp mode ?
Apparently not. It wouldn't have happened. Just happy everybody's ok.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:25 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

glad your OK run a search on ebay automatically every day. Check the frame. Guess if you can align it the frame is good. Check it all out real good especially aluminum pieces for cracks.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:43 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 709 Likes on 490 Posts

Even a bent frame can be aligned and run if you have to. I had my best World Challenge finish of the year in 01' after smacking the wall with the right rear corner. The right wheel was about 2" in front of the left rear wheel, but after setting the toe back where is was more or less parallel, car was damn fast!

Hit the frame machine after the race!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:43 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by Aardwolf

Glad you are OK!
Thanks so much! See you out there soon!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
ebay
Thx (see my post was even shorter --well it was LOL)

Originally Posted by the blur
comp mode ?
Neither but that's what I typically do (I average like 20 track days a yr?). This was at track I was familiar with too (RA) but it still didn't help me from making a mistake! I always think folks should run in what ever mode they are comfortable with though!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by bb69
Sorry to hear about the car. Also glad to see that you are getting right back into it.

As for parts, this depends on your schedule. I bought all the Corvette suspension pieces over the last year for my project. If you need them fast, try some of the vendors here, such as Vette to Vette. If you have some time, cruise ebay every day. There are a lot of Vette parts on ebay, but more and more of the sellers believe they have gold on their hands and they price it accordingly. However, you will eventually find the parts going for a reasonable price. Also try looking in the C5 Parts for sale forum. There are normally a couple cars being parted out there.

Ken
Thank you! Do you or anyone else have a favorite new car part source just in case?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by Hardcorvette
Glad you are ok...the car parts are easier to replace.
Thanks! So true!

Originally Posted by robvuk
Apparently not. It wouldn't have happened. Just happy everybody's ok.
I'm not so sure the way I was trying to "correct" it LOL Thanks!
Old 05-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by John Shiels
glad your OK run a search on ebay automatically every day. Check the frame. Guess if you can align it the frame is good. Check it all out real good especially aluminum pieces for cracks.
Thank you John!!

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
Even a bent frame can be aligned and run if you have to. I had my best World Challenge finish of the year in 01' after smacking the wall with the right rear corner. The right wheel was about 2" in front of the left rear wheel, but after setting the toe back where is was more or less parallel, car was damn fast!

Hit the frame machine after the race!
Darn maybe I need to go out in the driveway and mash it up more (not that that would help my driving LOL)!! Seriously I have heard that many frame issues are fixable?--it just depends on how much you want to spend I guess?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:12 PM
Z06 Whisperer
Racer

Originally Posted by yakisoba
Glad you're ok. Most things about cars can get fixed with money and time... People are lots more fragile.

The situation you are describing is pretty common. You lose the back end when putting power down post-apex. What I do is open the wheel up (straighten) as I accelerate and that keeps the nose straighter so the engine torque doesn't bring the back around. Often, that gentle straightening turns into full countersteer to control the slide. If I have a choice between the back coming around and running out of track at the end of a turn, I'll run straight off rather than have the back come around. It's easier to get the car under control again if it's not completely sideways. Your runoff room may vary, so take that for what it's worth.

The way I think about it is that when I accelerate or brake, the more I do either the straighter the wheel needs to be unless I want to induce a high slip angle condition (drift).

Something you said also got me to respond in more depth: "Driving as you normally do under those conditions." I don't think there's really any such thing. The conditions on track can change so fast that even when you hit a turn as you normally do, it's never the same turn. There could have been something on the trac (dirt, oil, dead snake), your diff could have behaved differently because of heat, you could have accelerated a little harder than you normally do, on tires that were too cold (or too hot), etc.

In other words, I don't think there's ever a time when you can take even the simple turns in stride. There's always something that can bite you, and it's that level of concentration that makes the sport so appealing.

Unfortunately, there's not much way to practice for such incidents in controlled conditions. It's possible to catch the car sometimes on the second snap (with hard acceleration), but if it loops backwards, then you are driving backwards and that's about all you have to work with. I've had instructors tell me to always look at the path you want to take and your body will steer you there. If you fixate on something (OMG! I am heading for that wall!) you will often hit it. If you fixate on the way out, you often won't.

I don't know how much truth there is to that in a general sense, but I can tell you that I've avoided things I had no right to avoid by looking at the gap and not at the wall.

Good luck with your repairs, and once again glad you are OK.
I agree completely with what you said especially about the "driving as I normally do" statement. I realize now that does sound ignorant LOL! The reason I even put that in there was to just convey that I wasn't trying some exit point, or running in a strange traffic pattern or the like. It was actually just after the warm up lap and I had just finished some passes on the front straight I think so I wasn't coming into the turn full on to begin with. It had rained earlier and the temps had dropped from like about 58F to like about 45F. Plus I was running on Hoosier slicks. I just blame it on me being a dumbass and accelerating too hard for the track conditions.

PS I hope you don't think I'm being touchy about this? It's just that right after in the pits (we weren't near my car) one of our friends came over really upset to where my husband and I were standing and said some guy had driven up and was doing all this trash talking about me and the incident saying things like "he had never heard of someone crashing there" and "that he knew how to drive in the rain" and on and on. Of course this got me upset so I went over to get rid of the guy who was saying all this to the group of people standing around my car (others there said he was talking nonsense too). Weirdest thing I'd seen in awhile--couldn't believe it. I guess I learned that from watching all the local oval track races all those years--the last thing you want to do is to get up in someone's face who was just involved in a crash or something unless you're looking for a fight--all that adrenaline and all.

Anyway, I do wish we could get more practice at emergency type maneuvers in our cars under track conditions--i sure could use it!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
RedLS6
Drifting

Received 1,729 Likes on 783 Posts

It was actually just after the warm up lap ....had rained earlier ..... 45F. Plus I was running on Hoosier slicks.
A dangerous combination, for sure, even without slicks. At least you're OK, and the car is fixable. Best of luck getting it back on track.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:35 PM
robvuk
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyway, I do wish we could get more practice at emergency type maneuvers in our cars under track conditions--i sure could use it!!!

I often think that maybe HPDE's should offer some "over the limit" instruction.

The only thing that will make you feel better about the whole thing is that "it eventually happens to all of us!" So don't be too hard on yourself. I've been there and done that.

Unless I'm ready to make a personal best run, I leave comp mode on. Very small price to pay in actual lap time in exchange for "good insurance".

Get notified of new replies

To Mashed Up My Car On Track Like a Dummy--Looking to Buy Parts!

Old 05-07-2008, 01:05 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree completely with what you said especially about the "driving as I normally do" statement. I realize now that does sound ignorant LOL! The reason I even put that in there was to just convey that I wasn't trying some exit point, or running in a strange traffic pattern or the like. It was actually just after the warm up lap and I had just finished some passes on the front straight I think so I wasn't coming into the turn full on to begin with. It had rained earlier and the temps had dropped from like about 58F to like about 45F. Plus I was running on Hoosier slicks. I just blame it on me being a dumbass and accelerating too hard for the track conditions.

PS I hope you don't think I'm being touchy about this? It's just that right after in the pits (we weren't near my car) one of our friends came over really upset to where my husband and I were standing and said some guy had driven up and was doing all this trash talking about me and the incident saying things like "he had never heard of someone crashing there" and "that he knew how to drive in the rain" and on and on. Of course this got me upset so I went over to get rid of the guy who was saying all this to the group of people standing around my car (others there said he was talking nonsense too). Weirdest thing I'd seen in awhile--couldn't believe it. I guess I learned that from watching all the local oval track races all those years--the last thing you want to do is to get up in someone's face who was just involved in a crash or something unless you're looking for a fight--all that adrenaline and all.

Nope, you were looking for info, not being touchy. And I for my part wasn't picking on you, or trying to criticise in a negative way.

I picked that out because I've seen more lap two incidents in the advanced groups then any other lap or in any other group. For some reason, lap #2, the first hot lap, is generally where folks lose control. Experienced folks, mind you, not novices.

Rain is also a monster deal. None of us have enough practice in the rain.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:40 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Not sure how close you are to CMP but they now have a skid pad that you can rent. I think it is $75 and hour wet/ $50 an hour dry.

Glad you were not hurt.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 AM
see5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anita,
I don't think (hope) it looks too bad. Try the upper arm and tie rod to see if will align.
The body parts may even be a DIY project if frame is ok.
Didn't need them damn air bags anyway
Bruce

Quick Reply: Mashed Up My Car On Track Like a Dummy--Looking to Buy Parts!