Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:20 AM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Suspension Question

Have a non-Corvette question, but theory wise, you guys will know the answer...A friend of mine races a front wheel drive car on a oval, left turn track. He want to put more pressure on the left front drive tire. Should he increase or decrease the spring rate of the left front to do that? Should he do something to the right front spring too?
Old 05-06-2008, 10:57 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 712 Likes on 493 Posts

he can stiffen the right rear spring, or just jack weight (raise height) of the left front OR right rear. He need some "wedge" adjustment

In theory, this should give him more front grip and less rear.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

If he is having front tire wheel spin problems (the proverbial one wheeler peeler) as a result of an open diff, the way to fix it is to get more weight transfer into the rear of the car with stiffer rear springs or rear bar.

This has obvious limitations (as when the inside rear wheel lifts up off the ground you are pretty much done), if he isn't already there, then he needs to put more roll stiffness in the back, or reduce the roll stiffness in the front. This will allow the inside front tire to stay loaded and he will be able to put down more power coming off of the corner.

Lowering the car as much as possible will help too, as will moving as much weight to the left side of the car as possible (battery, any other required stuff that you can move over there).

The real cure is to get a limited slip or Quaife in there to put the power to the outside front wheel. The car will push when you put the pedal down, but you will be able to put the power down and unwind the steering wheel to reduce the push.

Assuming that this is a fwd mini-stock class, think of finding a fwd car with a limited slip. The older Nissan Sentra SE-R had one and that would make a cheap and quick mini-stocker starting point.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:46 AM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

These guys are right! I raced a FWD drive on the ice for a couple years. Spend time on the rear of the car. Everytime I stiffened up the rear the car would get faster, a little hard to handle. Good thing I don't have a problem turning in and out 5 different times during the same corner.
Huge rear swaybar, and or stiff springs.
You can also remove the front sway bar for some 3 wheel action in the corners.

How to make the front end pull out of a corner. Easy, get out the welder and find what moves in the diff. Weld the crap out of it (there is a science). Make sure you have both CV's in before you make it solid. Nothing better then welding it all up and can't get the shafts back in. If you need more info on this, let me know, or send the parts up here. I still have to use my welding education once and awhile.
Driving on two wheels is the fast way around

Randy
Old 05-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Hvymtlc5
Melting Slicks

Received 18 Likes on 5 Posts

Passed on the suggestions...he's toying with a heavier rear swaybar now.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension Question

Quick Reply: Suspension Question