Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires for Auto X? 99 FRC

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19

Default Tires for Auto X? 99 FRC

I would like to hear suggestions for the SCCA auto X events. I have a 99 FRC with 275/35/18 front and 295/35/18 rear. I would like to keep the same tire sizes as my car is slightly lowered and I like the larger footprint. What brand of tires would you recommend for driving to the event and racing and what tires would you recommend for (trailer) racing only? Thanks, Matt
Old 05-06-2008, 06:13 PM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19

bumpage
Old 05-07-2008, 05:12 AM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19

Ttt
Old 05-07-2008, 09:24 AM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm. Good questions. First of all, I'd check the rules for my class. Find out what tires are allowed and go with that. Second, I'd decide what my goal was for the weekend. Winning or exploration. If it's exploration and learning, run street tires or nearly that and learn the car and the course, nad drive to the event. It's way easier that way, though you do run the risk of breaking the car and not being able to get home easily. If it's to win, then run the stickiest tire you can and trailer there.

Good tires to drive on: Kumho Ecsta MX. My wife has those on her car and drives to and from road course events. Non-runflat. Lose those ASAP.

Good tires to autocross on: Hoosier A6. Literally made for it, and very sticky. Kumho v710.

Please take this with a grain of salt, as I mostly run road courses and have done little autocross. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2008, 09:33 AM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good advice. if you are just trying it out, start on street tires. if you feel you have gotten to the point where you are driving those well enough and want to get more serious about it, check the class rules. those tire sizes will bump you out of stock class to asp.

if you are going to autocross tires, either the hoosier a6 or the kumho v710 like yakisoba said. as for sizes, a few of my friends in super stock run 275 or 295 front and 315 rear on the stock rims. i run asp and have 315 front 335 rear on 17" ccws but once you get out of stock classes, there are a lot more opinions for what sizes to run.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:56 PM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

With 18 all around he would not be in the stock class.

Since you are on a learning curve, stay on street rubber. In ASP there are two important factors, level of preparedness of the car and skill factor of the driver. The latter is the more important of the two. After you skill level catches up, then determine to what level you want to prepare the car. You will find all the class winners either have a dedicated car and trailer it or have a well prepared car and change tires at the event.
Old 05-08-2008, 02:28 AM
I-SPEEED
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '19

Thanks to all that replied to my questions. I have placed in the top two at my last two events and I was not pushing the car. I have had some former driver instruction and some police pursuit schools which I feel have helped. They told me I was being bumped out of novice from now on hence, my questions about tires. I understand that I will never be able to drive the car to its potential but if i am going to drop alot of money on tires, I might as well get the best opinions from the vets! Thanks again, Matt
Old 05-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Solo2GS
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

With the stock springs and lowered you can still go much wider then what you are running.

As suggested it depends what class you are in. If SCCA then the different rim size puts you into ASP. NCCC - Group 2.

I run 17 X 11 rims on all 4 corners with 315 series V710's. You truly need all the rubber you can get up front! Same goes for negative camber!

Get notified of new replies

To Tires for Auto X? 99 FRC

Quick Reply: Tires for Auto X? 99 FRC