Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hot Transmission-idle Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 76 Posts

Default Hot Transmission-idle Engine

Has anyone had this display?? And if so what was your solution?? I had this while tracking at Sebring last weekend, and when I slow cown for a half a lap, the display goes away. I have checked for debris in the coolers and all is clear. Any thoughts?? Note: I have run on much hotter days and for a longer time and never had this display before. And by the way I had it to the dealer and they could not find anything. Thanks, JD
Old 05-08-2008, 09:48 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Jim

When was the last time you changed trans and diff fluids? And what brand did you put in?

When you do change the fluids measure the amount that comes out against what you put in or should put in.

I change my trans and diff fluids every 4 events.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Jim

When was the last time you changed trans and diff fluids? And what brand did you put in?

When you do change the fluids measure the amount that comes out against what you put in or should put in.

I change my trans and diff fluids every 4 events.
I change my fluids every 3-4 trans or diffs

I would look to see if it repeats...
Old 05-08-2008, 09:56 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Thanks Tom, that was going to be my first plan before adding coolers. What brand Tranny and rear end lube do you use?? The car is a 2007 Z06 :OTHERS: please don't start a whole thead on lubes!! Thanks for any suggestions. JD
Old 05-09-2008, 07:35 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JDIllon
Thanks Tom, that was going to be my first plan before adding coolers.

Jim

Just changing fluids will be marginal. you will need trans and diff coolers.

I use M1 ATF in the transmission and M1 Gear Oil in the diff.

Plus a anti slip fluid in the trans, the name escapes me this morning ( fricken dog and thunder storms = stupid dog and no sleep for me )

Going to a synthetic trans and diff fluids does keep temps down.

Other fluids that are great, Amsoil and Royal Purple has some solid performers

On an other note. I did all kinds of mods to my car before my first HPDE. Then after my second HPDE ( fricken HOT October and super high oil temps, who knows what the trans and diff temps were) I had Phoenix put on the oil cooler and accu-sump plus trans cooler. Those were the best mods I have done to my car.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 05-09-2008 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:40 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Jim, I've found KY Jelly works well for the rear end lube. After a lot of fiber, though, Preparation H is the ticket. But none of those help cooling any.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:58 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Falcon
Jim, I've found KY Jelly works well for the rear end lube. After a lot of fiber, though, Preparation H is the ticket. But none of those help cooling any.
You just can't get better advise, than the voice of experience!!! I think LOL JD
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Jim

....I use M1 ATF in the transmission and M1 Gear Oil in the diff.

Plus a anti slip fluid in the trans, the name escapes me this morning ( fricken dog and thunder storms = stupid dog and no sleep for me )

Going to a synthetic trans and diff fluids does keep temps down.

I use Mobil One syntetic trans fluid and diff fluid. The diff requires the anti-slip fluid though (for the posi).

I know the C6Z comes stock with a diff cooler and I think it has a trans cooler stock also. I do not have coolers in my FRC or C5Z - never had the hot lights either - I am sure it is due to the fact Jake, Josh and I loaf around the track. I think your problem lies elsewhere.

I would try the lube change first. How is it shifting? Does the trans whine? What was you oil temp at the time of the light?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

You just can't get better advise, than the voice of experience!!! I think LOL JD

He is Navy - they are "the" experts at rear end lubes....
Old 05-09-2008, 09:56 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Falcon
Preparation H does make a cooling gel. Come in a blue tube and works pretty well
Old 05-09-2008, 10:32 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by beerkat
Preparation H does make a cooling gel. Come in a blue tube and works pretty well
I was just thinking!!! How thankful I am, not to have Falcon's rear end problems!!! Mine can be solved by a trip to the shop, I don't know about his.. LOL JD I'm not sure I'm getting any help with my problem but this sure is fun. I wonder if Falcon will still be pitting with Rob after this thread???????
Old 05-09-2008, 10:56 AM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

It will depend on who is holding the cooling gel I think - Rob was a Red Leg in the Army...
Old 05-09-2008, 10:58 PM
gonzalezfj
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jim, I drive my C6Z hard (as I think you know) and have no overheating problems with the stock tranny and rear-end coolers.

I suggest a good brand of synthetic (I use Mobil 1). Lube deteriorated by hard use (like what we do) loses some lubricating properties, thus more friction and higher temps.

Change the fluid and run the car again. I bet you the overtemp problems disappear.

Frank Gonzalez
Old 05-10-2008, 12:34 PM
02impactblue
Pro

It's a possibility that the internal pump failed in the tranny. I was always concerned with this on my c6, no way to tell if its working. We need a pressure gauge or temp gauge to tell if its working.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:53 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Jim,
What kind of Corvette do you have? Your avatar looks like a C6 Z06. I thought those had tranny and diff coolers?

In my C5 Z06, I got a tranny high temp warning at the track before installing a tranny cooler - very very common on the C5.

Like the others above, I change my tranny and diff fluids about every 4th track weekend.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 08-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

How difficult is it to change the transmission and dif fluids?
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM
FasterIsBetter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zee0hh6ix
How difficult is it to change the transmission and dif fluids?
It's a piece of cake. Just be sure you crack open the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid, and do one at a time, so you don't confuse the fluids and put gear oil in the tranny. The square plug hole (on the tranny drain plug, IIRC) takes a 3/8" socket extension. You can pick up a plastic pump at any local auto parts store to pump the fluids up into the tranny and diff filler holes. Fill until the fluid comes out the hole, put the plug back, and you're done. Don't overtighten the plugs, hand snug will do fine, run the car a bit, then check for leaks.

p.s. Don't work under the car with it on a jack. You must have jack stands or a lift, to be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot Transmission-idle Engine

Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Originally Posted by FasterIsBetter
It's a piece of cake. Just be sure you crack open the fill plug BEFORE you drain the fluid, and do one at a time, so you don't confuse the fluids and put gear oil in the tranny. The square plug hole (on the tranny drain plug, IIRC) takes a 3/8" socket extension. You can pick up a plastic pump at any local auto parts store to pump the fluids up into the tranny and diff filler holes. Fill until the fluid comes out the hole, put the plug back, and you're done. Don't overtighten the plugs, hand snug will do fine, run the car a bit, then check for leaks.

p.s. Don't work under the car with it on a jack. You must have jack stands or a lift, to be safe.

Many Thanks
Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Buy the way, changing the tranny and Diff. fluids seems to have solved the problem. JD
Old 08-22-2008, 10:50 AM
Zee0hh6ix
Racer

Buy the way, changing the tranny and Diff. fluids seems to have solved the problem. JD
What fluids did you use?

Quick Reply: Hot Transmission-idle Engine