Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SonnyinVA

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:52 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default SonnyinVA

Bad news again, member SonnyinVA has been injured in a motorcycle
accident.

VA Ratpackers - Please read!

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
...I just found out from Scott, another one of our Corvette brotheran
that Sonny (SonnyinVA) got into a motorcycle accident yesterday.
... Apparently he broke a wrist, his ankles, but worse yet, has some
internal injuries around his intestines.
Can we get some prayers for one of the best forum members out there.

From just 16 mo ago, when his previous bike accident occured:

SonnyinVA needs our prayers

Old 05-09-2008, 02:37 AM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

pray for a speedy recovery.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:57 AM
FastZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Yea... sad to see. I ride a bike now but I think it might be time for Sonny to stick to 4 wheels. He has had some back luck on the two wheeled kind.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:08 AM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

met Sonny last year. He was showing me what was needed to run in the Mile shoot out that he participates in.

Very nice guy and this sucks. I know in NJ you cannot ride a bike safely anymore. I sold mine a few years ago and then Chris@ECS and Doug@ECS followed. All of us said we escaped injury too many times to push it anymore.

Lets pray for a fast recovery

Bob
Old 05-09-2008, 07:29 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Again? Oh no
Old 05-09-2008, 12:14 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll try to keep everyone updated in the original post. Just typed an update in the OT posting.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:52 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

Early in the season too.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:09 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Update

Just got off the phone with Sonny. He sounded really good. He was about to go in to the OR again for them to fix his arm and leg. Both will be better assessed during surgery but it sounds as though some hardware will be used to set them. He told me that part of his wrist was shattered and their is a possibility of loosing some range in motion, to which he said: "maybe you will finally be able to beat me in Call of Duty now" . Because of internal bleeding, he had part of both is large and small intestine removed that night of the accident. They are leaving it open to be sure it heels well. Probably be in the hospital for 7 to 10 days, and will have a colostomy....alright have no idea how to spell that or say it...pardon my french, but a "$h!t bag" for 3 to 6 months.

As far as the accident went, he was riding his bike home from work (it was a nice day so he decided to take the bike rather than the Vette) on I-64 when he saw a minivan riding with its turn signal on the whole time. In true Sonny fashion he decided to be the nice guy and try and get the guys attention to tell him. When he turned around traffic, including the Dodge Dakota in front of him had come to an immediate stop. He estimates that he was doing about 50. He slammed the brakes and tried to skoot to the right to split the rush hour traffic to give him more stopping distance with little success and made a last split second attempt to sort of jump to the side but caught the handle bar.

He thinks the bike was probably totalled in the accident, but either way he told me that his bike riding days are over. This is his 2nd accident on it and with he and Lisa contemplating children he knows its the responsible thing to do.

Told him he had 3 posts of support running here to which he thought was really nice, and wanted to say thank you. Probably talk to him later tonight or tomorrow to see how the latest surgery goes. Will try to get down to see him soon as well.

I'll keep everyone posted.

Charlie
Old 05-09-2008, 09:54 PM
John Shiels
Team Owner

Location: Buy USA products! Check the label! Employ Americans
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

tough news Get Well soon Sonny.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Slalom4me
Le Mans Master

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

From the VA Ratpackers thread - #37 (2008.05.13 7:20 AM)

Originally Posted by m3corvette
I saw Sonny yesterday and the bad news is that he is still as ugly as ever, so no damage in that department from the accident. I was hoping that maybe the accident would improves his looks a little so he don't scare the girls away...............................no such luck!! Sorry bro.

He's already lost a good bit of weight and in a lot of pain most of the time. He's a morphine addict right now and won't share his stuff. I offered him $10 a button push of morphine for me, but he's still being greedy. He still does not have a cast on his left wrist/arm or right ankle/leg for the breaks due to swelling. The incision they made for his internal surgery is also still being left open until they are sure they don't need to do anymore surgeries. He also has a lot of road rash damage to his right forearm from elbow to wrist. Last but not least, he has a broken big toe also on his right foot.

He said to say thanks to all the members on here that have posted well wishes. He does have his laptop with him, but typing is still going to be a one fingered affair for awhile.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:14 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

as much as this sucks I can think of many scenarios that are much worse.

hopefully he will be up and about soon.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:40 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Sonny bro... you're a dumbass... stick to 4 wheels now. I guess we won't be bar hobbing on granby for a bit.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Cobra4B
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CI 3-5-6-7-8 Veteran

Just called him... we've decided he can put his **** bag in one of Lisa's purses and he can pretend to be queer when we go bar hopping

Get notified of new replies

To SonnyinVA

Quick Reply: SonnyinVA