Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaking of brakes....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 12:26 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Speaking of brakes....

I just prepped my car for the races next week at Robling Road and found something that I was pleased with.

I was at CMP last weekend for 2 pratice sessions, 2 qualifying sessions and 2 races, and you guys who have run there know how hard that track is on brakes. I started the weekend on a brand new front set of BHP pads and they wore fantastic. The brakes were flawless all weekend and after measuring them, there was still 10/32"s still left on the pads that started at 12/32"s.

I was really impressed with the wear, and the stopping is as good as the Wilwood H's. Rotor wear is no worse, and I'll be using the same rotors at Roebling next weekend.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:13 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Hi,

I assume you are using the PR1 compound for racing? If so how is the early cold performance?
Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Very easy to warm up. They're ready within 1/2 a lap if you accelerate and brake hard numerous times during that lap. I do that instead of the squiggling back and forth on the out lap. The accelerating and braking puts heat in the tires.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:33 PM
jrz1
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Falcon
I do that instead of the squiggling back and forth on the out lap. The accelerating and braking puts heat in the tires.

... one of the best tips I've gotten in a long time. It works great especially when you're on tires that need to be HOT to work at all.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:00 AM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by Falcon
Very easy to warm up. They're ready within 1/2 a lap if you accelerate and brake hard numerous times during that lap. I do that instead of the squiggling back and forth on the out lap. The accelerating and braking puts heat in the tires.
A lot of people don't realize that that is the best way to heat up tires and brakes. Swerving cleans the tires from all the junk that sticky tires tend to gather so I combine the 2 on the out lap.

Jody, I will be trying a set of these shortly. Which ones do you recommend for my use? All I will be using these for is track only. Use stock pads for the street. I use sticky tires on the track.

Bob
Old 05-11-2008, 07:12 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kanmer
A lot of people don't realize that that is the best way to heat up tires and brakes. Swerving cleans the tires from all the junk that sticky tires tend to gather so I combine the 2 on the out lap.

Jody, I will be trying a set of these shortly. Which ones do you recommend for my use? All I will be using these for is track only. Use stock pads for the street. I use sticky tires on the track.

Bob
Bob, the PR-1 compound.

Here's a link: BHP Brakes
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 AM
hrtracer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jody, where were you able to buy these pads? I have e-mailed BHP, but was looking for a place to buy them online and have been unsuccessful.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 09:12 AM
lbarnard
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call BHP and talk to Matt he will get you setup with everything. Also they have a brake fluid that was tested that exceeds Motul and ATE. I switched to BHP and this fluid. Great combo. Ran Road Atl and CMP. BHP pads are very durable.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:22 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Here is the phone number: 704-489-8399 phone

As lbarnard says, the GS 610 fluid has a higher wet boiling point than ATE and other fluids I'm familar with.

The bedding process of these pads is good, too. I bedded mine to brand new rotors during a practice session 2 hours before the race.

I slowed quickly from 20 to almost stop, 40 to almost stop and then 60 to almost stop. That was it. They were good to go in qualifying and the race 2 hours later and never a shutter at all during the weekend. And the rotors are good to use next weekend.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Kanmer
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Originally Posted by lbarnard
Call BHP and talk to Matt he will get you setup with everything. Also they have a brake fluid that was tested that exceeds Motul and ATE. I switched to BHP and this fluid. Great combo. Ran Road Atl and CMP. BHP pads are very durable.
I looked at the website and checked the fluid out but didn't see prices. How much is the fluid?

Bob
Old 05-12-2008, 07:51 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I've been testing some BHP pads on the Z06 as well (not available yet to the public I'm told), and I'm very impressed as well. They are noisy on the street, but perform and wear very well. I don't know about the C5/C6 pads, but on the Z06 they have a very high initial bite, but once you get used to it they have worked very well.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:29 AM
mattnicholson
7th Gear

Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.

I've had a ton of email inquiring about prices, so I figured I'd just post that info up. All C5 and C6 non-Z06 pads are identical, and they are $229 front, $200 rear for PR1 compound. The GS610 fluid is $15/bottle (500ml).

Right now, we have no dealers, and you can only buy these direct from us.

Edit: Just to clarify, all C5 pads are the same. Base, Z06, doesn't matter. All C5 pads are identical. That pad carries over to all non-Z06 C6 models. Base, Z51, doesn't matter. All the same.

Clear as mud?

Matt

Last edited by mattnicholson; 05-12-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 AM
mattnicholson
7th Gear

Call and order pads, I'll throw in a bottle of fluid for free....

Get notified of new replies

To Speaking of brakes....

Quick Reply: Speaking of brakes....