Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C 5 caliper upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:52 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default C 5 caliper upgrade

I have an 02 Z06 and was looking at the SSBC 3 piston caliper. Also looked at Stop Tech and others but could not figure out if they would be a replacement for the stock calipers. I want to find something where I can use the stock size rotors and pads. Any help out there????

TIA,

Ed
Old 05-10-2008, 04:31 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I have an 02 Z06 and was looking at the SSBC 3 piston caliper. Also looked at Stop Tech and others but could not figure out if they would be a replacement for the stock calipers. I want to find something where I can use the stock size rotors and pads. Any help out there????

TIA,

Ed
Ed,
We have many different options for you!!! Pads, two peice rotors, ss lines, ss pistons, fluid, ducts, and etc. Please check out our website, www.dougrippie.com

Old 05-10-2008, 07:39 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

nothing you can do will make the OEM calipers last very long, as the backbone of the caliper is just too weak, and ultimately too flexible. Similarly, a 13" rotor can only dissipate so much heat.

Good cooling and thermal protection (pistons, pad plates etc) can help, but you really need the larger calipers and rotors if you are regularly toasting the sytem.

This may sound stupid, but many people also brake too much. I'm amazed at how many drivers to brake checks etc when their brakes should be cooling down.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:45 PM
gkmccready
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wilwood SL6 or SL6R with LGM caliper brackets will let you run the NAPA rotors, and the pads are cheaper than stock. Just have to make sure you have wheel clearance.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:00 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

I run the Wilwood 13in package with 17in wheels. The H pads last forever. I have gone over a year without replacing the rear rotors and I get 8 track days with the front rotors with coolers

The nice thing is when you get off the track switch the H pads out for Q pads and you get a nice street pad that doesnt dust much.

PM and I can get you a price on Monday...
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Snidley
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gkmccready
Wilwood SL6 or SL6R with LGM caliper brackets will let you run the NAPA rotors, and the pads are cheaper than stock. Just have to make sure you have wheel clearance.
I'm using the LG SL6 brake setup and just love it. Never had any brake fade while on the track, and since you have a Z06, they will clear your stock wheels.
$1500 with one set of pads for the fronts. I'm still using the stock rears with Carbo Tech XP8 for the rears.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:23 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
nothing you can do will make the OEM calipers last very long, as the backbone of the caliper is just too weak, and ultimately too flexible. Similarly, a 13" rotor can only dissipate so much heat.

Good cooling and thermal protection (pistons, pad plates etc) can help, but you really need the larger calipers and rotors if you are regularly toasting the sytem.

This may sound stupid, but many people also brake too much. I'm amazed at how many drivers to brake checks etc when their brakes should be cooling down.
dave knows best!

Get notified of new replies

To C 5 caliper upgrade

Quick Reply: C 5 caliper upgrade