Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitto 555R Drag and 555RII RoadRace - Differences?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Nitto 555R Drag and 555RII RoadRace - Differences?

Can anyone explain the real differences between the 555R Drag Radials and the 555RII Road Race tires? Is the construction really different? I've read several people claim they noticed little difference, if any, between the two on their C5Zs. What about the tread compound?

I also read that the 555RII came to be when Nitto discovered road racers using the 555R Drag Radials on the road course. This sort-of makes sense to me as Nitto claims the RII has very stiff sidewalls and in reality they are very compliant, making me wonder if there's a difference at all...
Old 05-12-2008, 11:55 AM
AlwaysInBoost
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all the research I did prior to purchasing my RII's showed the only difference between their DR and RR tire was an extra belt in the sidewall for stiffness.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by AlwaysInBoost
all the research I did prior to purchasing my RII's showed the only difference between their DR and RR tire was an extra belt in the sidewall for stiffness.
good to know...so only difference would be in high speed cornering
Old 05-14-2008, 08:00 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I run the 555R drag radial front and back on my Backdraft 427SC. The main reason was that I couldn't get the size I needed in the 555II. A friend with the same setup called Nitto tech support and was told it would be fine to run the DR's on a light car 2,550 car on a road course, but suggested adding a few lb's of air to compensate for the softer sidewalls.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 AM
ls1_alex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the NT01 nitto tire.. Once they get a small warmup they are as sticky as the drag radials, and work great when road racing.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:50 AM
beerkat
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ls1_alex
Try the NT01 nitto tire.. Once they get a small warmup they are as sticky as the drag radials, and work great when road racing.
I run 315/35x17 all around on my car.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
ls1_alex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah and no issue driving em on the street either.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:04 PM
Blue Angel
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys!

The reason I'm asking is I will be stretching the rear 305's over the max width rim (12"), so I wondered what the difference would be in turn in/steering feedback/cornering grip between the two.

The way the car sits right now with the 305RII on the stock 10.5" rear wheel there is a disconcerting loss of steering feel/feedback from the rear of the car (compared to the OEM GoodYear 295 Supercars). I think this effect is two-fold; one, the RII has a softer sidewall than the Supercar tire, and two, the RII's sidewall is noticeably "rounded" on this wheel width, possibly contributing to sidewall flex under load.

Stretching the 305 over a 12" wheel will hopefully restore the steering feedback to the rear of the car.

Originally Posted by jaybar
I run the 555R drag radial front and back... A friend with the same setup called Nitto tech support...
Any idea on how to get a hold of Nitto Tech Support? I sent a question in through their website asking about the difference in lateral load deflection between the two tires on 12" wheels, but I seriously doubt I'll get a response, let alone any useful information...

Get notified of new replies

To Nitto 555R Drag and 555RII RoadRace - Differences?

Quick Reply: Nitto 555R Drag and 555RII RoadRace - Differences?